Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:55 AM   #1

I made this video this weekend. I used my Sanyo CG6 however, I learned of some of the shortcomings. I had made something similar to this before a few years back with a 8mm camcorder. With the old camcorder, I could be 6 to 10 feet away on a tripod and zoom in to see the individual little ants. Well, in this case, the optics on the CG6 require the camera to be dangerously close to the action. So, as a consequence you can't see as much detail as I would have liked because I didn't want my camera 6 inches away from the explosions, flames, and water.. not to mention ants crawling on it. Most of this video was taken about 2 to 3 feet away. Even then, I would have preferred the camera further back. However, there is no way this could have been done on an Aiptek A-HD or other fixed focus camera. I tried my IS-DV2 for a second camera angle, but could not get it focused on the action, even in macro mode. However, the 60 fps mode of the action-HD would have come in really handy on a few of these, as well as the high-definition.

Look on Vimeo for the high-res version.

http://www.vimeo.com/945562

or on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz86rFl04v8

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:04 AM   #2

You have fallen foul of the same problem that plagues me with vimeo in that your video seems to be protected. You need to take that off. I find it happens to me every so often, even though I never set it.

I shall watch the youtube one in the meantime!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:15 AM   #3

I remember we had a mass of very large ants covering our porch suddenly one evening back when our son was still a baby.

We were quite worried that they would get in the house through the door and attack him. I sprayed them all liberally though and luckily they didn't return to the porch area. I finally found the nest in the hedge near the house.

Are the very large ones carpenter ants or fire ants?

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:00 AM   #4

A good solution to any ant problem is the Terro brand ant traps.

They're harmless to humans/pets; but they contain the mineral Borax in a sweet solution that the ants consider food.

So the ants go for it.

They don't know, however, that the Borax is deadly to ants.

They feed on the Terro and then they go back to their Queen, resulting in the death of the entire nest.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:46 AM   #5

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
A good solution to any ant problem is the Terro brand ant traps.

They're harmless to humans/pets; but they contain the mineral Borax in a sweet solution that the ants consider food.

So the ants go for it.

They don't know, however, that the Borax is deadly to ants.

They feed on the Terro and then they go back to their Queen, resulting in the death of the entire nest.

I agree ant traps work very well. They take a while to work but when they do, the problem disappears all at once!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
I agree ant traps work very well.
Yeah.. but as I tried to point out in the video.. There is no fun in that.

However.. Something I didn't show in my video is the best way to kill ants, if you actually want them all dead (and not just to pester them like I was doing) and that is to pour a big pot of boiling water on them.

I was actually only half done with my video. I had other planned activities, along with the boiling water as the grand finale. However, after my wife heard the fireworks, she went out and poured amdro on them and they were all dead the next day. So now I'll have to wait until another one shows up.

Oh.. about the vimeo.. I changed it to public a few minutes after making that post.. You must have tried it right before that.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:41 PM   #7

LMAO! great job. yep the aiptek macro is limited to 20 inchs what a bummer,
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:01 PM   #8

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree ant traps work very well.
Yeah.. but as I tried to point out in the video.. There is no fun in that.
Oh I agree! I was just replying to Private Idaho. After all we need something to use up all that cheap memory these days :lol: