Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:21 PM   #1

http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/04...-hd-camcorder/

720/30p. $170.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2008, 5:50 PM   #2

Nice looking unit, but I think DXG missed the boat on the release date. At 720P and at $170, its a bit on the high end, especially when Jazz has a good camera at almost half the price and the A-HD+ comes in right around the price of the DXG, but with better resolution. But you never know, the DXG may work better, which would even out the cost issue.
jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:31 PM   #3

I love sites like this, if it is out where's the Link and the samples ? 3 inch screen and all the simular stuff. 170 something to look at?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:25 AM   #4

Apparently, Radio Shack has it:

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-dxg-dxg...i-3096215.html

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:13 AM   #5

jaggermax wrote:
Quote:
Nice looking unit, but I think DXG missed the boat on the release date. At 720P and at $170, its a bit on the high end, especially when Jazz has a good camera at almost half the price and the A-HD+ comes in right around the price of the DXG, but with better resolution. But you never know, the DXG may work better, which would even out the cost issue.
Going by past DXG models, I doubt there will be anything that will set this one apart to justify the price, but I would love to be proved wrong of course! Still as far as new HD models go, the more the merrier I say.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:05 PM   #6

The only thing this hybrid cam differs from most others, is that it uses 3 regular AAA alkaline or rechargeable batteries instead of the usual NP-** batts.

I don't think the cam has any new technology to offer than what's already available.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:11 PM   #7

3aaa's that is awefully bad if 3aaa yes Ithink it be better
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:09 PM   #8

This must be the best looking hybrid yet. But the lack of an optical zoom would prevent me from getting one. It appears to me that it has an led for video use, but none of the specs so far say anything about it. Nor have the specs said anything about image stabilization.

As for the H.264 output, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to adopt it if you create movies from your video clips. I've been working for over a month trying to sort out how to do that, and still don't have a formula for it that works for me.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:55 AM   #9

After much deliberation, I have decided to get one for myself. I'm having a hard time though because only RadioShack has it online, and right now, it is not available (so it seems that I would have time to switch in case I change my mind and buy an Aiptek instead)

I chose the DXG 569v over Aiptek HD because:

1) I prefer Nimh batteries over Aiptek's use of Lithium Ion batteries. With the DXG, I have the option to use 2700 aaa batteries. Aiptek uses only 1000mah powered batteries which would last shorter than the DXG (Correct me if I'm wrong though!)

2) Also, if ever the batteries need to be replaced I won't have much problems because these rechargable batteries are easy to get. (Correct me if I'm wrong though!)

3) So the DXG shoots at 720p. I don't think it is that of a big deal since I think there wouldn't be much of a noticable difference between watching a 720 movie vs a 1080 movie from Aiptek. (Correct me if I'm wrong though!)

4) I like how the DXG looks. I think it is better than the Aiptek's in this department.

pinnoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:07 PM   #10

The NiMH batteries are a good step just for the fact that you can buy some cheap pretty much anywhere (grocery store, drug store, etc...) if you are in a bind whereas the NP-60's that the Aiptek's use are around $30 retail at electronics stores and even then they can be sparse.

I own an Aiptek Action HD and am shooting only in 720p60 which is perfect for my needs. The 1080p mode looks great too though. I've made a blu-ray disc of both resolutions (from my sample footage) and they are clean/crisp on a 1080p display (I just want a smart renderer that won't reencode the AVC stream... but that is asking too much :-) I think that for most people, 720p is great and makes a great looking DVD.

I am going to Sacramento this weekend (Ikea run) and plan on visiting Fry's and an area Radio Shack to get sample footage from as many camcorders as I can then post the result here. Fry's usually has a ton of camcorder display units powered up for testing and I'll see if the Radio Shack salesperson will let me get some footage from this DXG.

sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote