Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 2, 2008, 9:38 PM   #11

Well, I also have a Mac in addition to my Windows PC.

As far as I am concerned, the Mac is fifty (50) times better.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 2:22 PM   #12

apbech0 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Downloading Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus will be my next course of action.

Ulead VideoStudio 11 crashes durning preview after import.
Be sure you have the latest updates so your VS is 11.5. Then they won't crash. The only thing for a long time that didn't crash was Nero Vision in version 7. Now in version 8 it crashes. :lol:

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 7:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Be sure you have the latest updates so your VS is 11.5. Then they won't crash. The only thing for a long time that didn't crash was Nero Vision in version 7. Now in version 8 it crashes. :lol:
Thanks for the advice but I am using the current version. I downloaded:

Ulead VideoStudio 11.5 Plus Trial
filename: UVS11Plus_TBYB_EUS

In the short term I am using my girlfriend's Macintosh. In the medium term I am going to give Photoshop Elements 4 a try. I'm wondering if the preview in Photoshop Elements 4 would be better with CoreAVC?
apbech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 8:09 AM   #14

I think this link is good for your consideration

http://www.videomaker.com/grid/hd-editing-software/
Jati_Ratmaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 1:03 PM   #15

apbech0:

honestly, I think your issue with craching has far more to do with trying to use Vista with "HD" source material than anything else.

I have seen this all over the forums that this entry level HD technology is the same thing as the original DVD burners when they first came on the scence. Too many proprietary implementations and no real standards as of yet.

The only guys you see using "Prosumer" HD without issues are the ones say using the Panasonic HVX-200 with Final Cut or Avid. Combined, you are talking about $10,000 + in equipment!

This is the exact reason why I am waiting to get into the HD game myself as a business decision.

Bottum line is not to set yourself up in expectations of output quality without paying a price anywhere near that.

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 1:51 PM   #16

Quote:
honestly, I think your issue with craching has far more to do with trying to use Vista with "HD" source material than anything else.
I couldn't agree more with this statement.

Quote:
The only guys you see using "Prosumer" HD without issues are the ones say using the Panasonic HVX-200 with Final Cut or Avid. Combined, you are talking about $10,000 + in equipment!
My limited experience on the Macintosh platform seems to prove this wrong. Upon plugging in the Aiptek A-HD+ iPhoto prompted me to import both photos and videos. Starting iMove 8 caused a dialogue box to come up asking me to wait while iMove generated thumbnails for the videos in iPhoto. I was then able to create a movie with transitions, an alternate audio track, etc. Using the Quicktime export settings I was able to export in 720p, 30fps using the MOV container (h.264 video and AAC audio).

The result of my Macintosh experiment was satisfying to my purely amateur level goals. The video is poor because of the low light setting I was working in but if you want to see my first (very goofy) test video it is posted on Vimeo:

[flash=320,256]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=971494&server=http://www.vimeo.com&fullscreen=1&show_ti tle=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait= 0&color=00ADEF[/flash]

http://www.vimeo.com/971494

(I am strongly considering one of the external microphone modifications)

apbech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 2:06 PM   #17

Other than the fact that you did all of this on the Mac, I had a very similar experience with the PC and the accompanying ArcSoft apps that come with the Jazz cameras as well.
However, when I tried to import the native HD footage into Premiere, there were all kinds of problems...
I have found the sweet spot with these cams to be to shoot in their HD format and us the accompanying app to down-rez to standard definition and then use that in your NLE of choice to create the final project. From there, if you down-rez again and export to say Flash 9 video with high output settings, the results are really impressive.

So, what I was referring to was trying to use the Ulead app for example and to create an HD project from beginning to end including the final output. (Sorry, I didn't read all the inbetween posts in the thread.)

And yes, you are correct as far as the builtin apps with Mac doa much better job of making a user experience easier and thus more creative. I am thinking of going Mac in the future myself!

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 8:24 PM   #18

What a lot of people don't know (I didn't) is that Garage Band is more than just an audio program.

One can import video clips into Garage Band and then edit the accompanying audio!

Apple doesn't advertise that fact very much, but I was very happy to learn this because the iMovie '08 doesn't focus on audio.

So you get the best of both worlds...

1. Prepare video/audio tracks in Garage Band;
2. Then do the rest in iMovie '08.

I also have Final Cut Express 4.

Very nice applications and the Mac is just rock solid with its Unix base.

Private Idaho
Old May 8, 2008, 11:15 PM   #19

I just got an Aiptek HD Action. Final Cut Express won't import the mov files directly. What are you using to convert? Thanks in advance.
rmunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 7:55 AM   #20

I imported them into iMovie '08 rather easily.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll import them into Final Cut Express.

What Apple does with Final Cut Express and iMovie '08 is convert AVCHD clips -- and I would assume H.264 clips -- to "Apple Intermediate Codec" clips.

I'll list my workflow steps for you tonight so you can follow them and import your clips.

Private Idaho