Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 9, 2008, 11:20 PM   #21

Thanks. Much appreciated. I was able to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the MOV files the Aiptek recorded to several different formats that Final Cut liked, but I saw artifacts in the converted video.
rmunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 3:48 PM   #22

Hi everybody ! I have just bought my Action HD (Z500+ I am in Europe) and did a lot of research on the way of editing aiptek videos without loss of fluidity.

What is surprising is that it works perfectly with the Arcsoft software (Total media extreme) for viewing and for editing (with the simple editer).

When I analyse the .mov files with Gspot it tells me that the avc1 codec is unknown. So it lags with media player classic, for example.

Actually, I have two questions :

- What is the best solution to edit videos in real time according to you ? (I tried Vegas, Adobe, Ulead, Magix, Cyberlink...)

- Isn't this avc1 codec responsible for the problem ? (it seems to be a special H264 quicktime codec, I know that there is an update for quicktime and for mac users 'avc1decoder' but I have got a PC...).

Please help me :roll:

deadfishs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 5:36 PM   #23

Rmune,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

My modem died and that caused me to lose my Internet access until I could get the modem replaced.

OK... back to the original topic.

Apple Final Cut Express 4 won't directly import the H.264 .MOV format recorded by the Aiptek Action HD.

To edit the clips in Apple Final Cut Express 4, use Quicktime Pro to convert the Aiptek clips to the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) format.

1. Open Quicktime Pro;
2. Click FILE > OPEN;
3. Now you should see Quicktime Pro's OPEN pop-up menu;
4. Browse to the location of your Aiptek files;

(You'll find the Aiptek Action HD Quicktime .MOV video files in the folders recorded to your Aiptek Action HD's memory card. If you browse to those folders, you'll see the DCIM FOLDER. Browse to that folder. Inside the DCIM folder, I see another folder called 100MEDIA. Inside that folder are the movies. My first movie is automatically named FILE0001.MOV and so on.)

5. After you open this Aiptek Action HD Quicktime movie in Quicktime Pro, click FILE > EXPORT;
6. Now you should see the SAVE EXPORTED FILE AS pop-up menu;
7. From the EXPORT drop-down list, choose the MOVIE TO QUICKTIME MOVIE option;
8. Next, click the OPTIONS button;
9. Now you should see the SETTINGS pop-up menu;
10. Under the checked VIDEO box, click the SETTINGS button;
11. Now you should see the STANDARD VIDEO COMPRESSION SETTINGS pop-up menu;
12. Choose the APPLE INTERMEDIATE CODEC from the COMPRESSION TYPE drop-down list;
13. From the FRAMERATE drop-down list, I have been choosing 29.97 because that frame rate precisely matches Apple Final Cut Express 4's 720p edit template;
14. Under COMPRESSOR, choose OTHER;
15. Click the OK button;
16. Click the SIZE button;
17. Now you should see the EXPORT SIZE SETTINGS pop-up menu;
18. Choose the HD 1280 X 720 16:9 option from the DIMENSIONS drop-down list;
19. Click the OK button;
20. Under the checked AUDIO box, you should have the following AUDIO settings:

FORMAT: AAC
SAMPLE RATE: 48.000Khz
CHANNELS: Stereo (L R)
BIT RATE: 128Kbps

21. Click the OK button;
22. Specify the location where you wish to save your new, converted Apple Intermediate Codec .MOV file, type a name for it, and click the SAVE button.

The original file will be converted to be a .MOV Apple Intermediate Codec file that looks practically identical to the original.

Now you have a file type that can be imported into Apple Final Cut Express 4.

The great thing about the Apple Intermediate Codec format is that it is specifically designed to retain the quality of the original file while withstanding heavy editing inside the Final Cut Express 4 application.

When you're done editing, you can export to the file type of your choosing.

Hope this helps,

Private Idaho

rmunde wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. Much appreciated. I was able to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the MOV files the Aiptek recorded to several different formats that Final Cut liked, but I saw artifacts in the converted video.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 5:38 PM   #24

I forgot to mention that the steps I have just listed apply to either the 720/60p or the 720/30p formats recorded by the Aiptek Action HD camcorder.

You'll need to adjust the steps if you are working with the 1080/30p format.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 5:15 PM   #25

Believe it or not, I'm actually using TMPEG (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder). I open the MOV files with it.. if I want to resize it or whatever, I set it up.. then I save the PROJECT file.. THEN I use "VFAPIConvEN.exe" to CONVERT that project file into a "psudeo-avi" file.. which is an AVI file that can be opened in, I believe ANY program that can open AVI files. I personally have just been using them in VirtualDub! But I've been outputting the audio file via TMPEG as an mp3 compressed wav file. It works PERFECTLY! So.. basically I end up editing my MOV files with ANY software that can edit AVI files.. it's THAT easy!
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:11 PM   #26

yea but does it keep the hd quality? that is the point in this camera i believed? right?
freshkleensucks is offline   Reply With Quote