Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 2, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1

What are people using to edit HD video captured with the Aiptek HD series cameras. I just acquired an A-HD+. From reviewing the forums I see our options (on the Windows platform) include:

Sony Vegas 8

Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11

Cyberlink PowerDirector 6

Pinnacle Studio 11

Adobe Premiere

Thus far I have tried Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11. I found it to crash unbearably. I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad t61p with the following specs:

Processor: Core 2 Duo T9300 running at 2.5 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB (only 3 GB available due to 32-bit OS)
Disk: 150 GB 7200 RPM 2.5"
Display: 15.4" Widescreen 1920x1200

I am now downloading the 2 GB+ Adobe Premiere Elements trial. Is anyone editing in Linux?
apbech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2008, 5:19 AM   #2

Magex Movie Pro edit 12.

Will look for 14 plus. not 100 % happy b/c the transitions I do not see smoothly working not sure if the memory is it I have 2 plus gig loaded, 4 gig vid card and I wonder if I need a better pc

Vegas movie 8 works but less the sound less the HD so the above has everything for me thanks for the info
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 8:39 AM   #3

Quote:
I am now downloading the 2 GB+ Adobe Premiere Elements trial. Is anyone editing in Linux?
So far I haven't found a video editing program that works even half-ass under Linux. I haven't been able to try cinerella yet. But one big problem I've had is importing the videos. All of the editing programs on linux require the video to be in DV format. I have not been able to successfully import the .MP4 files from my Sanyo or the .ASF files from my Aiptek. On a whim I decided to convert the files with Premiere on my windows machine just so I could have some video to try on the Linux software (such as Kino) but it told me even those files were not DV files.

So things aren't looking good in that area for me.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 6:37 PM   #4

Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus includes support for AVCHD at a price of $89.99:

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 is stable -- except -- when one attempts to insert the .MOV H.264 clips recorded by the Aiptek camcorders. I contacted Sony Creative Software and they admitted their software doesn't yet support the Aiptek .MOV clips, but they're "considering" adding support. They gave me an online form to fill out to formally request that support. I filled it out and sent it to them.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 6:39 PM   #5

By the way, I've never tried the Magix software so I don't know how well it might actually work.

But at least this software supports AVCHD.

As far as I know, the Adobe Premiere Elements software does not.

Private Idaho
Old May 2, 2008, 6:43 PM   #6

yes it does work fine the 12 has all, the 14 plus is the updated versions

not to shabbie with tranistions that do ont show only after a save
Old May 2, 2008, 6:45 PM   #7

I tried the Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11 software.

When I attempted to capture video from an 8cm mini DVD recorded in my Panasonic VDR-M30 DVD disc camcorder, the Pinnacle software failed to perform that task properly.

When I installed the Cineform HD intermediate codec, it slowed the Pinnacle program to a crawl.

Private Idaho
Old May 2, 2008, 6:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus includes support for AVCHD at a price of $89.99
Downloading Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus will be my next course of action. FYI I have tried the following three products:

Ulead VideoStudio 11

Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0

Ulead was unusable and crashed while importing videos. Adobe and Vegas import video but no audio. Adobe also seems to crash randomly. I realize I am a sort of perfect storm of software incompatibility (Vista + Aiptek .MOV format).

On a side not I plugged the A-HD+ into my girlfriend's brand new 15" Apple Macbook Pro. iPhoto popped up and imported both the pictures and the videos. Videos played well in Quicktime although I think videos look better on the Windows platform with either CoreAVC or the K-Lite Codec Pack. I opened up iMove and it started generating thumbnails for the video files. I did not have time to test editing a movie.
Old May 2, 2008, 7:09 PM   #9

well magex pro editer 12 was 99 lowered to 30, lowered to ZERO, and I am sure this one will do the same real soon with rebates
Old May 2, 2008, 7:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Downloading Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 Plus will be my next course of action.
While waiting for Magix Movie Edit Pro 14 to download I uninstalled all of the software that Aiptek shipped. So I uninstalled their codecs and I uninstalled Arcsoft. I reinstalled the . K-Lite Codec Pack. Current status is:

Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0 import and preview work (although preview is poor quality). Yes the audio is now working!

Ulead VideoStudio 11 crashes durning preview after import.

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.0 has no audio.