Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:34 PM   #111

Hey again all,
iI made a post yesterday outside this section so thought I'd put it here as well just in case it should be here. Anyways, does anyone else find that the Jazz cameras audio levels when recording are very high? I just have to breath lightly and it picks it up. We took my wife's parents to Dollywood for their anniversary and when I taped Dolly's cousin's singing the sound was recorded so loud it was distorted. The video was really good though. Is there a way I can fix up the audio with some kind of editing software someone might know about?
thebakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:04 PM   #112

The more I look at it I think I will get the Jazz 178 over the Aiptek
SubaruB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:30 PM   #113

Your questions has been answered in a PM and the outside topic.

I am sure the camera is not defective, but a samplewill be needed before further commenting. I have placed redwing exp. up the cam was in my pocket the very end where I am saying Welcome to Red wing enjoy the hospitality ..

that clip was a voice recording ofthe jazz Elite HDV-178 yelling that said a sample please.

Yes we need to say 100.00 is a great deal its been out since a few months already if not in the club, what more can use three say to you. but thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:31 PM   #114

How well do you think this camera will do at filming the NYC subway? Also how long of a video can I do with 2GB? and can this camera take a 16GB SDHC card?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:59 PM   #115

I got the HDV188, this is the second unit I've had...the first one, the screen cracked while I had it in the thigh pocket on my pants.

Anyway - I'm kind of bummed that it won't record with the lid closed. I'd like to rig something up so that I can wear my camera during interviews. I've tried, but as soon as the lid is almost closed, the power goes off.

Here's what I found out...Inside the unit is a superstrong tiny magnet. Its located just above the silver box-like casing that attaches the screen to the camera. I don't know what the magnet is there for...

I took the magnet out and the unit operated exactly as it had with the magnet in, so I put it back.

Funny...I have a strong mechanic's magnet (one of those at the end of an extender, you use it to pick up tools that fall down into tight places when working on cars). By accident, this sucker snapped into place on the side of my HDV188 and I heard the electronic fairie fart music the camera chimes out when it turns on! *gasp*

The lid was closed. As long as the kept the magnet there, it stayed on. But as soon as the took the magnet off...yup.

Anyways, I thought that would be interesting to someone around heres. If anybody knows of a fix to get this unit operating with the lid shut...I'd be much obliged. Muchos nachos.
Wondercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:28 PM   #116

How would you know what is being filmed frame-wise with the screen closed??

And it works just like my Apple PowerBook G4 the screen has a magnet to know when to turn the screen off...
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:38 PM   #117

have you thought of placng a protective plate over the lcd?

as for filminf I am sure it will do fine on any situation will ahve and remembered I say a rolling shutter test
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:57 PM   #118

ok seems like no one knows so I will just buy the card to find out on my own.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:04 PM   #119

SubaruB4 wrote:
Quote:
How well do you think this camera will do at filming the NYC subway? Also how long of a video can I do with 2GB? and can this camera take a 16GB SDHC card?
If it is reasonably lit you may be surprised at how well it will do. It has one of the better low light abilities of the cheap camcorders as you can see by my two nightshot videos here:

[flash=320,256]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1218393&server=http://www.vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_by line=1&show_portrait=0&color=& amp;fullscreen=1[/flash] [flash=320,256]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1218398&server=http://www.vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_by line=1&show_portrait=0&color=& amp;fullscreen=1[/flash]

With a 2GB, you will get an hour of HD video. I have a 4GB SDHC and get 2 hours. There shouldn't be any reason that the camera won't work with a 16GB SDHC card even though it says 8GB. The reason being is that was probably the highest capacity that was available at the time of testing.

Unlike my old Olympus Camera which used Smartmedia and couldn't use the next highest capacity they released without a firmware change or simply buying a newer model, devices that use SDHC are supposed to be capable of using any size from 4GB to the full 32GB. Of course sometimes you may get individual brand incompatibilities but just make sure you are able to return the card should you get problems.

To be honest I don't really see the point in getting a 16GB. For one the battery won't last even long enough to fill my 4GB and secondly you are putting all your eggs in one basket if you buy too large a card. Always best to spread it out amoung a couple of smaller cards at least. Unless of course you are getting a 16GB at a silly price ie as cheap or cheaper than an 8GB.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:21 PM   #120

I have 3 NP-60 battery packs so battery life is not that much of an issue...also I'm getting a 16GB card since I can use it for something other then the camera as well since my Laptop has a SD card slot.

I brought a new HDV-178 off ebay for about $95 so it should be here around Tuesday or Wednesday I hope. Right now I only have a 1GB and 2Gb SD card.