Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:25 PM   #151

Was a stinking hot day yesterday July 11th 2008. Had a high temp of 96F with a dewpoint at 78F. Heat
index values were about 108F. Cool front moved into the area around 6pm and ignited a large storm
complex that produced tornadoes all over the place and damage from high winds. At around 40sec
into this video you will see a dust cloud pass by the building, turns out it tore down a couple dozen
trees along houses on Garden st just 3 blocks away. Was standing outside filming the storm since
it was southwest corner of it and just missing us. We only received .05 of rain from it. Video was
time compressed 400% to keep upload size under control.

Severe Storms roll through July 11th 2008 720p HD
JimKallinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 4:35 PM   #152

Does the Aiptek a-HD+ have the same jerkiness/tearing like the Jazz does?

I would think the 60fps would help but the video from FishyComics of the spinning bar doesnt seem to be much better than 30fps.
jagshrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 4:49 PM   #153

the tearing is because of the interlace.. does not happen if you convert it within a program like what comes with the camera or Vega, or final cut..
SubaruB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:21 AM   #154

For those of you still interested in an HDV178/188, newegg.com currently has what seems to be a clone (The DVD565HD) for $119.99.

I noticed they also have a Vivitar DVR 710 which looks exactly the same except it appears it is not HD and is the same price.

The only comment from a customer has a video review which shows the quality. He says "It may say HD but don't be fooled... the only real difference between the HD and regular modes on this camera are the size of the final video..."

I wouldn't entirely agree on that. Sure the difference between the HD mode on my Jazz HDV178 and the VGA mode is not dramatic but it's still enough for me to use the HD mode almost exclusively. I will say the VGA mode on this camera does seem to have the edge on my old Aiptek MPVR VGA video camera though.

You know it's kind of funny when you read that such and such a camera doesn't have decent video when you consider how good they really are when compared to the old VHS cameras of the 80's. Remember you are getting this decent quality on a tiny memory card and for a disposable price too!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:36 AM   #155

As grabbed a sd card, was used already in the other hybrids, guess not yet for the Jazz, snapped some photo's nothing came out. had to reformat in cam to recognize.

just make sure yo format make it a routine once in a while

found out by going to playback, seeing no file only in hpoto and video showed file?

once formatted all worked out, lost oneshot of co-worker oh wel no biggie. lesson learned again
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:23 PM   #156

That is interesting to know.
SubaruB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 6:05 PM   #157

Those of you who have the Jazz Cam HDV178 (and even those with the HDV188), can you pan from and left and right and see if you get that same slight hesitation that I get?

I have noticed that if I pan left and right, even in Standard Definition mode, you can see there is a very slight jerk as if the display can't quite keep up. This when not recording, so it's not a codec issue.

Also, even when the camera is stationary but there is a large moving object, it will do the same, just as suburu84 said.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:13 AM   #158

some mo info.

the Jazz in photo mode playback; has no Joystick, but a Zoom in/out allowing you to go into thepic but not navigate the pic. a feature that I have on the the Aiptek which I like, we needed to examine a pic and could not do this on the cam. for the $$ I cannot complain.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:20 PM   #159

HI,I want to buy some camcoder to film me and my friends on snowboard.I want some small and comfortable camera,which one do you recommend me.Thanks
kadett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:26 PM   #160

fishycomics:
after zooming in/out using the up/down slider you can press in on it (ok button) the zoomed selection will turn red then you can use the left or right arrow to move the zoomed area left or right and the slider for up/down.
blackboxwlan is offline   Reply With Quote