Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:49 AM   #181

jazzcameras.com

vivitar is the other name as well so look under vivitar.com

dinsmorem wrote: [/b]
Quote:
newbie here. needing help,please. bought a Jazz HDV178 used off Ebay. no owner manual with it. Jazz website is worthless. does anyone here know where one might be able to download a copy of owners manual?? thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:50 PM   #182

Flew to Dallas and back this Thursday and Friday. I have always found the cloud formations you see fascinating so took some video for fun with my Jazz HDV178:

[flash=400,300]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1536736&server=http://www.vimeo.com&type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300"[/flash]

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:23 AM   #183

great shots,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"iti s what I like to, believe it or not clouds, always asa kid andas an adult.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have made my florida trip using a cloud formation in my vid I zoomed slow to 35x opticalwith the jvc it looked like i was at the front of the plane. I lost thatfootage.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"every cloud is alwaysdifferent never see the same ones.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:43 PM   #184

Hi, I'm new around here and I figured this would be the best place to ask questions.

I recently got this camera at a pawn shop, the only problem is that it did not come with the charger. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me the voltage of the AC Adapter so I can find the right one. Thank you!

Also, the pictures seem to be a bit blurry as if the exposure time was too long, does anyone else have this problem>
Remeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:47 PM   #185

Remeard wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm new around here and I figured this would be the best place to ask questions.

I recently got this camera at a pawn shop, the only problem is that it did not come with the charger. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me the voltage of the AC Adapter so I can find the right one. Thank you!

Also, the pictures seem to be a bit blurry as if the exposure time was too long, does anyone else have this problem>
The problem is the camera doesn't have a standard A/C jack. It charges via the miniUSB port and you cannot use a regular USB charger, it has to be the one that came with the camera.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:25 AM   #186

Ah, I see. I think I might have a charger that works that way as well. Thank you very much!
Remeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:29 PM   #187

Hello ive bought the Jay-Tech HDV 24 (Jazz 178 clone) cause of your nice help and information here on the forum.

So far im pleased with the camera for such a cheap price, im looking forward to our vacation tommorow in Italy.

Ive tested a lot of settings and found out some things, perhaps you can give me a few advices and tell me im wrong

1. - i found out that in every setting except night and very low light situations, its better to set it to daylight at whitebalance than to auto. With Auto i dont like they unrealistic colors and the tendency to be greyish (nice word ^^) .

2. The stabilisation is crap and cant be used in any possible setting

3. Best sharpness setting is below average, the image dont blur so strong when you move the camera.

4. Sound is quite good, but dont shout as a film maker , let the others do the talk.

5. Im the only one who has problems with red targets especially in rooms with little daylight. The camera turns my red objects often grey.

6. Macro Mode is awesome, and i think you can set it on macro on situations under meters.

7. Im pissed that every time i turn on the cam my settings are set to standard, doesnt the cam remember my settings except language ?

Want to shot immediately with daylight, sharpness average, is there a trick that it remembers the settings ?

Heres my first video on vimeo, could be better, need to learn how near i can go with the macro mode.

http://vimeo.com/1647444

etainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:41 PM   #188

etainer

thank you, it is a beginners model rather a professional one weall understand that, and going away A.S.A.P. will be hard to learn everything and be lucky this is an out of the box cam LOL.

to Q1.

WB (white balalnce) was never a workingfeature for video, they soon introduced it, so I tend to forget about that setting and I keep set t o Auto. yes changing it every single time is neccessary.

to Q2.

the sharper the more grainer, again I forget its there. less is better, andrepeat to Q1. resets.

to Q3.

Tripods are always best, and allow objects to move notthe cam, so Panning allow cam to go extra slow.

Q4.

I agree keep it real it works best, you'll find at times in an outdoor shot your voice will not get to the cam, but the train bus big machinery will not just hey look here............

Q5

sorry red works here?

Q6

macro mode isset you can only go as close as20 plus inchs no closer, you may try but then macro becomes worse.

Q7

firmware or not everytime the cam is off you'll have to reset each function only one that will keep are the video still the ones that they think are important. I know I feel for ya and wish we had more control ofwhat we can choose. Maybe one day we will be able to work with firmware and personalize the units ourselves.

As for tricks sorry i am out of rabbit food.

Enjoy your vacation and awaiting Vimeo to load

etainer wrote:
Quote:
1. - i found out that in every setting except night and very low light situations, its better to set it to daylight at whitebalance than to auto. With Auto i dont like they unrealistic colors and the tendency to be greyish (nice word ^^) .

2. The stabilisation is crap and cant be used in any possible setting

3. Best sharpness setting is below average, the image dont blur so strong when you move the camera.

4. Sound is quite good, but dont shout as a film maker , let the others do the talk.

5. Im the only one who has problems with red targets especially in rooms with little daylight. The camera turns my red objects often grey.

6. Macro Mode is awesome, and i think you can set it on macro on situations under meters.

7. Im angry that every time i turn on the cam my settings are set to standard, doesnt the cam remember my settings except language ?

Want to shot immediately with daylight, sharpness average, is there a trick that it remembers the settings ?

Heres my first video on vimeo, could be better, need to learn how near i can go with the macro mode.

http://vimeo.com/1647444

Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:30 AM   #189

thank you very much for your answer.

will load vimeo in 14 days
etainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:32 AM   #190

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I decided to join because it looks like people are still having problems editing clips they've taken on their Jazz 178 cameras. Here's how I managed to get it to work on my PC. Hopefully this will help anyone else still having problems.

1. Make sure you've got the latest FFDShow installed.

2. Download VirtualDubMod. It's important to use this version as it has the "direct stream copy" option which is missing from the original VirtualDub.

3. Run up VirtualDubMod and open your avi. If all is working well, you should be able to navigate easily through the clip using the transport bar on the bottom. I tend to edit from the end of the clip and move towards the beginning when making multiple edits - I'll explain why in a minute.

(Quick hint - if you're not seeing the whole image easily, you can right-click on the screen and lower the display setting e.g. 50%, which should display the whole image.)

4. The one thing I've seen mentioned in the forums (but no-one has offered a solution) is that when you edit your clips, you end up with sound but no picture :sad:. Here's how I got round it, through trial and error. If you leave the beginning of your avi intact, you should get picture and sound throughout the entire clip. This can be as little as a fraction of a second, so.... by editing from the end of your clip, when you finally get to trimming the beginning of the avi, the transport bar will be more sensitive and allow you to leave (in some cases) only a tiny fraction of video from the beginning (e.g. 0.033 seconds). This will be virtually unnoticeable on the final clip, but will stop the dreaded black screen. It's a bit of a confusing concept, but feel free to question me on this if I'm not clear.

5. Once you've edited your clip to the length you want (remembering to leave a sliver of the beginning intact) go to "save as" and make sure that you set the clip to "direct stream copy". Once you've OK'd this it should output the clip quite quickly.

6. When you check your clip, you should now find that you get both video and audio, properly synched.

Interestingly, you can copy the edited clip back to the camera and view it in all its edited glory, as long as you name it something like "CLIP0001". You can't pause, rewind or fast-forward the clip on the camera, once edited. :O

Having used the camera quite a bit, I think it has some annoying faults, but is very good value for money overall. As mentioned by others, it would be nice if the camera kept its settings when you switch it off. Also, the image stabilisation seems to have little effect. If anything the picture becomes slightly more jittery and unnatural-looking.

I bought mine in the UK (sold under the Aldi "Traveller DV5000" brand-name) for £50. A bit of a bargain for such a fun bit of kit.

Thanks to previous posters for tips about turning down the sharpness to reduce motion-blur. I'll give this a try.

Sorry for such a long post. I hope this advice helps someone.

Thanks,
Ben

benuk01 is offline   Reply With Quote