Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 15, 2008, 8:39 PM   #11

hey people, just joined the forum and two weeks ago i bought a jazz hdv178 camera..
what i'd like to ask is, does jazz have a website?? when i do a web search for it, all i get for results is jazz music, sites that sell the camera and forums on the camera.. this forum seems to have the most info on it..
i'd be gratefull for any info..
sorry if the website is already answered some place else on here..
gt_845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 8:53 PM   #12

A Jazz forum, or its own webbase site

jazzcameras.com also located o nthe box, the site is only a flash base and not great for any other info.

"Screen opened andreverse wil lwork for the camera for filming

A you will have a case, use it.

B you have an option to use a pouch, or a heavy metal or opting to disconnect the magnet.

I suggest not to worry bout recording with a opened screen what are gps units screen made out of . and do they sell protective insert or covers?:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 9:14 PM   #13

Try http://www.jazzcameras.com

gt_845 wrote:
Quote:
hey people, just joined the forum and two weeks ago i bought a jazz hdv178 camera..
what i'd like to ask is, does jazz have a website?? when i do a web search for it, all i get for results is jazz music, sites that sell the camera and forums on the camera.. this forum seems to have the most info on it..
i'd be gratefull for any info..
sorry if the website is already answered some place else on here..
JimKallinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 10:06 PM   #14

I thought their old site was better. If I recall, it at least had some support features on it. This one doesn't even have an email address!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 7:59 AM   #15

Just bought the 188 and had i known it was both larger than the 178 and the way the screen folded was different (and not as good), I'd have gone for the 178.

Kinda stuck with it now though as I live in the UK and had to buy itoff ebay rather than my local walmart (which is thousands of miles away!)

That said, it's still really tiny, but the option of recording with the screen flat would have been better (like you can with the 178.

Nevermind. At the price, I ain't going to quibble

pootle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 8:12 AM   #16

Welcome aboard, and lets just say this

This is the reason I went out of my way, to buy the higher end model, compare, snap the pics etc, so you can see exactly the differences.

the pic does show the 178/188 open closed reversed you name it. and I bet you bought it before you found us lol ( not at you)

thank you for the PM

best place to purchase a battery would be online at Ebay or researching online, if at ebay and not a real retail store you'll recieve either an outdated battery that's my opinion

pootle50 wrote:
Quote:
Just bought the 188 and had i known it was both larger than the 178 and the way the screen folded was different (and not as good), I'd have gone for the 178.

Kinda stuck with it now though as I live in the UK and had to buy itoff ebay rather than my local walmart (which is thousands of miles away!)

That said, it's still really tiny, but the option of recording with the screen flat would have been better (like you can with the 178.

Nevermind. At the price, I ain't going to quibble
Old May 17, 2008, 7:04 PM   #17

Well I just picked up the Elite DV 188. So far it is so so. I bought a SDHC card for a faster transfer rate but I noticed when I am shooting in HD and panning, the video stutters.:sad: It is great when I am shooting stationary but like I said when I am panning it gets erratic, it is not a smooth pan. I am not sure if it is the speed of the card or not. One thing also is that when you are recording, you cannot do telephoto on the fly. Oh well. One last thing is the charging of the battery. It says to charge it for 8 hrs, but it says that when it is charging the red L.E.D. will flash and when the charging is done it will stay solid. So why keep it plugged in for 8 hrs. if the red L.E.D. stays solid and it is not charging anymore?:-?
DVRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 7:57 PM   #18

DVRACING wrote:
Quote:
Well I just picked up the Elite DV 188. So far it is so so. I bought a SDHC card for a faster transfer rate but I noticed when I am shooting in HD and panning, the video stutters.:sad: It is great when I am shooting stationary but like I said when I am panning it gets erratic, it is not a smooth pan. I am not sure if it is the speed of the card or not. One thing also is that when you are recording, you cannot do telephoto on the fly. Oh well. One last thing is the charging of the battery. It says to charge it for 8 hrs, but it says that when it is charging the red L.E.D. will flash and when the charging is done it will stay solid. So why keep it plugged in for 8 hrs. if the red L.E.D. stays solid and it is not charging anymore?:-?
Yes my 178 does that, but for the general movements such as filming my son etc. it's not so bad so for the price of $99 I can deal with it.

The speed of the card makes no difference. These devices don't need high speed cards.

Are you sure that you cannot zoom in while filming? You can on the 178 as you can see here: http://www.vimeo.com/925816 and I have seen video clips of the 188 doing the same.

I ignored the battery charging since as you say once it's charged it changes to solid red. I can't imagine it still charges past that point as it would be in danger of overcharging and I would hope the charging circuit would prevent that.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 10:04 PM   #19

RGVCam DVZracing has a feature on that will not allow the cam to zoom in he must turn it off, I believe it may be the macro mode. iam sure it is not the stablization.

As for keeping it on after the solid the cam has a trickle which is not mentioned ( i liketo think) will keep it at full. trick the batt t osay hey I am still full, if it has a memory.

the camera has a buffer, no matter what card we place in will not get off that buffer.

again take a look at the manual there is a setting you are on that will not allow you to zoom.

video stutters and tht is the Buffer you see it may look bad while filming but will be alright after viewing

What Id onot like is that on playback I see the video hear it fine then Silience after the 75% of hte clips.

Yes SUPER happy with my investment.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
DVRACING wrote:
Quote:
Yes my 178 does that, but for the general movements such as filming my son etc. it's not so bad so for the price of $99 I can deal with it.

The speed of the card makes no difference. These devices don't need high speed cards.

Are you sure that you cannot zoom in while filming? You can on the 178 as you can see here: http://www.vimeo.com/925816 and I have seen video clips of the 188 doing the same.

I ignored the battery charging since as you say once it's charged it changes to solid red. I can't imagine it still charges past that point as it would be in danger of overcharging and I would hope the charging circuit would prevent that.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:35 PM   #20

Well after playing around with it, it was the stablization setting that was stopping me from zooming. Thanks guys. So I guess I won't need to buy a class 6 SDHC card since the stuttering won't help aleviate it. Oh by the way, the "stutter" is more noticeable when I play it on my laptop. It looks like when I pan its "wavy" at some points of the pan. I guess I will have to pan slower so I won't get that problem.
DVRACING is offline   Reply With Quote