Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:13 PM   #191

welcome Benuk01

no troubles for me, I even can edit into win moviemaker when at times it alays crashed.

a great job and hope the person in the help can recieve this answer as well.

benuk01 wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I decided to join because it looks like people are still having problems editing clips they've taken on their Jazz 178 cameras. Here's how I managed to get it to work on my PC. Hopefully this will help anyone else still having problems.

1. Make sure you've got the latest FFDShow installed.

2. Download VirtualDubMod. It's important to use this version as it has the "direct stream copy" option which is missing from the original VirtualDub.

3. Run up VirtualDubMod and open your avi. If all is working well, you should be able to navigate easily through the clip using the transport bar on the bottom. I tend to edit from the end of the clip and move towards the beginning when making multiple edits - I'll explain why in a minute.

(Quick hint - if you're not seeing the whole image easily, you can right-click on the screen and lower the display setting e.g. 50%, which should display the whole image.)

4. The one thing I've seen mentioned in the forums (but no-one has offered a solution) is that when you edit your clips, you end up with sound but no picture :sad:. Here's how I got round it, through trial and error. If you leave the beginning of your avi intact, you should get picture and sound throughout the entire clip. This can be as little as a fraction of a second, so.... by editing from the end of your clip, when you finally get to trimming the beginning of the avi, the transport bar will be more sensitive and allow you to leave (in some cases) only a tiny fraction of video from the beginning (e.g. 0.033 seconds). This will be virtually unnoticeable on the final clip, but will stop the dreaded black screen. It's a bit of a confusing concept, but feel free to question me on this if I'm not clear.

5. Once you've edited your clip to the length you want (remembering to leave a sliver of the beginning intact) go to "save as" and make sure that you set the clip to "direct stream copy". Once you've OK'd this it should output the clip quite quickly.

6. When you check your clip, you should now find that you get both video and audio, properly synched.

Interestingly, you can copy the edited clip back to the camera and view it in all its edited glory, as long as you name it something like "CLIP0001". You can't pause, rewind or fast-forward the clip on the camera, once edited. :O

Having used the camera quite a bit, I think it has some annoying faults, but is very good value for money overall. As mentioned by others, it would be nice if the camera kept its settings when you switch it off. Also, the image stabilisation seems to have little effect. If anything the picture becomes slightly more jittery and unnatural-looking.

I bought mine in the UK (sold under the Aldi "Traveller DV5000" brand-name) for £50. A bit of a bargain for such a fun bit of kit.

Thanks to previous posters for tips about turning down the sharpness to reduce motion-blur. I'll give this a try.

Sorry for such a long post. I hope this advice helps someone.

Thanks,
Ben

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:06 PM   #192

Where can you find/buy the Jazz 178 & 188 camcorder? I read Walmart, but i dont see it on their site. Any other online sites have it?
crf2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:35 PM   #193

welcome aboard CRF....

It is not a online purchase but a in the store down the photo aisle. only a limited amount is displayed.

vivitar is another name and the site is updating againand possably on the site and ebay, geeks.com a close out refurbish sale

crf2318 wrote:
Quote:
Where can you find/buy the Jazz 178 & 188 camcorder? I read Walmart, but i dont see it on their site. Any other online sites have it?
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:33 PM   #194

http://vimeo.com/1699838

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA9zB-vH4vs

vidoe footage in sd format

Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:33 PM   #195

Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:22 PM   #196

in the above pic is a video real short, I had time butI was not set t oHi def. the pic came out fine if asked was amazed at how I missed this object, my co-worker told me, we hopped back in the car, and snapped a few shots and yep that was the storm right after if watched the vid. preferred to keep a dry camera, and all worked out. Why I make the best of it at work, when I have my cam.....
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:23 PM   #197

Hi,

I just bought the 178. When I play back video on the camera, I can barely hear myself shout, let alone anything else (even with the volume all the way up).

I plug the earphones in, and it's louder, but still not real loud. I can at least hear what I am saying that way. I imagine if I transfer the video to the computer, the sound will be better, too. I haven't tried it yet.

Is this something to worry about, or normal for this camera? Sorry if this is a stupid question -- I am 100% new to video cameras.

I also wonder of anyone knows of a good high capacity battery solution for the camera, at a reasonable price.

Thanks.
ColmCille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:51 AM   #198

Welcome aboard Calmcille.

1. When you say you playback thevideo on the cam and cannot hear yourself, are you raising htevolume up on the camera? Yes / no

If you arefilmingand you are within a range of hands grip to 10 feet of the cam youwill beable to hear yourself on the cam on Playback-to-Pc playback-to-oline, etc.......

If you fall out of the 10 foot area the Mic cannot pick up your voice . If it is of a natural loudsound forexample train whistle itwil deffently pick it up. it's likea somethingmust trigger the mic to pick up the sound, our voices may not be strong enough to trigger the senser mic.....

2. the baterry life is very good for the device I 90 minutes is long, you can just purchasea spare battery and you'll do fine.

enjoy the cam, andwelcome aboard, even ifit's the first cam, it is a beginning, a beginners model, and tht you'll move on to a more advance model and can say, I learned a lot..............

ColmCille wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I just bought the 178. When I play back video on the camera, I can barely hear myself shout, let alone anything else (even with the volume all the way up).

I plug the earphones in, and it's louder, but still not real loud. I can at least hear what I am saying that way. I imagine if I transfer the video to the computer, the sound will be better, too. I haven't tried it yet.

Is this something to worry about, or normal for this camera? Sorry if this is a stupid question -- I am 100% new to video cameras.

I also wonder of anyone knows of a good high capacity battery solution for the camera, at a reasonable price.

Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:48 AM   #199

Is the 178 jazz camcorder charging via usb cabre from pc?I have to charge vie charger?Thanks
kadett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:01 AM   #200

kadett wrote:
Quote:
Is the 178 jazz camcorder charging via usb cabre from pc?I have to charge vie charger?Thanks
It will only charge via the charger unfortunately.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote