Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:24 PM   #201

external charger aftermarket , as well

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
kadett wrote:
Quote:
Is the 178 jazz camcorder charging via usb cabre from pc?I have to charge vie charger?Thanks
It will only charge via the charger unfortunately.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:05 PM   #202

Big Problem with the Jazz 178: I was on vacation and took a few hours of video. I can down load to the Hard Drive, burn a copy on to a DVD which will play on the computer.

Problem is how or what software will convert to a format that will play on the home DVD player? I have 4 different models/yr's of DVD players and none will play. I've down loaded several software that will convert and burn but none will still play on the home dvd player. I've tried the AVI to DVD, to MPEG4 to etc.....nothing. I've down loaded several different name brand burner software and still.....nothing!

Again, great to view on the computer, but if that is all then this is a piece of crap!

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
skeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:21 PM   #203

Skeet1 welcome aboard..

1 the cam did its job, it shot your video, file is on the sd and transfered to pc, all working.

2/ editing, you got it covered you saved as DV-AVI and your Dvd player on a pc did its job opend and played anddeffently not a WMV avi, or wmp player file format etc.

3 your DVD player, is a DVD/r will play dvd-r, dvd+r dvd/rw that is the Big question? if it is able to play the formats. some dvd players like sony prohibit burnable disks. That may be the case.

no matter what software modd to the dvd player or a newer version is needed.

if the dvd player is a burnable one then try nero6 or higher or 3rd party software and make sure it is a DV-AVI format.

I use sonic, win dvd creater. magix pro movie editer and yet to try sony vegas and others.

I hear your pain, but I believe that sounds like your problem, it is a challenge, and you'll be happy once resolved. why we're here .

skeet1 wrote:
Quote:
Big Problem with the Jazz 178: I was on vacation and took a few hours of video. I can down load to the Hard Drive, burn a copy on to a DVD which will play on the computer.

Problem is how or what software will convert to a format that will play on the home DVD player? I have 4 different models/yr's of DVD players and none will play. I've down loaded several software that will convert and burn but none will still play on the home dvd player. I've tried the AVI to DVD, to MPEG4 to etc.....nothing. I've down loaded several different name brand burner software and still.....nothing!

Again, great to view on the computer, but if that is all then this is a piece of crap!

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:55 PM   #204

Hi Fishy,

Thanks for the welcome. Answers to your questions below in red.

I am enjoying the camera, it does pretty good for what I bought it for--to record family memories. I have a young niece I want to record on special occasions and such, and my parents are getting up there and one day the videos will be all we have left.

I can hear sound better when I transfer to computer and play from there. It's not too bad, really. Still, it's not as loud as I'd like, even with volume all the way up. And if I add an additional sound track, it pretty much drowns out the sound of the video, even if I adjust the sound balance toward the video (though that may be a glitch in Movie Maker)

I can live with it, but would prefer if I could get louder sound.

Could you recommend a separate digital recorder and mic, one that is fairly inexpensive, yet does halfway decent sound and with USB? Not expecting miracles, but I am on government disability payments, so can't afford too much.

Thanks for your help. Your video reviews really helped me out.

--James

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Welcome aboard Calmcille.

1. When you say you playback thevideo on the cam and cannot hear yourself, are you raising htevolume up on the camera? Yes / no

Yes, all the way up, as I said. I can hear myself, just barely.

If you arefilmingand you are within a range of hands grip to 10 feet of the cam youwill beable to hear yourself on the cam on Playback-to-Pc playback-to-oline, etc.......

Yes, I am holding the camera when I film, my mouth is about a foot and a half away.

If you fall out of the 10 foot area the Mic cannot pick up your voice . If it is of a natural loudsound forexample train whistle itwil deffently pick it up. it's likea somethingmust trigger the mic to pick up the sound, our voices may not be strong enough to trigger the senser mic.....

2. the baterry life is very good for the device I 90 minutes is long, you can just purchasea spare battery and you'll do fine.

Does it record for 90 minutes? Or is that an average of recording, playback, standby, etc?

enjoy the cam, andwelcome aboard, even ifit's the first cam, it is a beginning, a beginners model, and tht you'll move on to a more advance model and can say, I learned a lot..............
ColmCille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:59 PM   #205

skeet1 wrote:
Quote:

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Have you tried Super from http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html?

You can use it to batch convert your files to MPEG1 or MPEG2 format suitable for DVD players.

Super even seems to work fine in Windows Vista 64-bit although it runs in 32-bit mode of course.

I have converted the HVD178 files using Super and either played the files directly with a DVD player that has file browsing capability or created a regular DVD with Windows DVD maker.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 1:31 AM   #206

Hi Skeet1,

I'll assume you're using Windows, probably XP or Vista, though you didn't say.

What you are lacking is a DVD authoring program. Just encoding the files and then burning doesn't work, at least I was never able to get it to work (and in any case, from what I have read, AVI or MPEG 4 are the wrong formats for DVD. DVD's use MPEG2 and MP2 for audio, and VCDs (Video Compact Disks) use MPEG 1/MP2. There may be exceptions).

A DVD authoring program will:

1) usually (if not always) encode your files properly.

2) convert your clip(s) into the proper file structure to be read by the player.

3) allows you to create menus, buttons, and all that.

Windows comes with a program called Windows DVD maker which apparently does all this, (though with limited menu functionality). It crashed on me before I could finish burning a disk, so I don't know how well it works (not well at all, for me! Your mileage may vary. Can't hurt to try).

Instead, I got a little authoring program called DeVeDe (for Windows. The original version is Linux, I believe):

http://www.majorsilence.com/devede/

This will properly encode your files, allow you to create menus and buttons, and create a disk image (iso) file with the files and directories in the proper form for the DVD player to read.

Then you just need a burner that can burn images. Most can these days. I used Cyberlink DVD Suite, because it cam with my machine and I've never had a problem doing anything with it.

There are probably a million other choices if those programs don't suit you. But the basics for making a DVD are:

1) DVD authoring program

2) Burner that burns the image

3) DVD player that can play DVD +/- R/RW. Most do these days. Perhaps not all. Some are a little finicky. Sometimes, the brand of disk makes a difference, or whether it's + or -, or whatever. Stay away from cheap no-name DVDs. They're not really cheaper since half of the disks end up corrupt anyway.

If you want more control over encoding, if you want to edit your videos, etc., there are programs that do those things, too. Avidemux2 will let you encode video and audio into just about any encoding, tweak various settings, and do basic cutting and such. It's free.

Windows Movie Maker, which comes with Windows, can do basic editing.

Hope this helps you out.

--James

Old Sep 12, 2008, 1:52 AM   #207

Hi rgvcam,

Are you sure you need to encode the files before using Windows DVD maker? I thought it does that for you, but I could be wrong.

--James

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried Super from http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html?

You can use it to batch convert your files to MPEG1 or MPEG2 format suitable for DVD players.

Super even seems to work fine in Windows Vista 64-bit although it runs in 32-bit mode of course.

I have converted the HVD178 files using Super and either played the files directly with a DVD player that has file browsing capability or created a regular DVD with Windows DVD maker.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:27 AM   #208

If anyone is interested, I found another free authoring program that is supposed to have more full featured menu editing capabilities than DeVeDe, is cross platform (Windows and Linux), and apparently will also use .avi files, and either create an iso image or even burn the DVD. No separate burner needed, apparrently.

http://www.dvdstyler.de/

Haven't tried it yet, so I can't vouch, but I will.

PS. about DeVeDe, something I noticed is that when you add files, it only shows the .mpeg files you have in the directory, though you can use .avi and other video files.

So, at the bottom right you can click the arrow next to "video files" and choose "all files" and your other video files will show up so you can slect them.

Also, under advanced options, it gives you the option to convert only (to the proper encoding), to create disk structure (which also converts the files), or to create an ISO or BIN/CUE image ready to burn (which does all the above in addition).

--James

Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:55 AM   #209

the cam with a battery will last 90 minutes while turned on , and recording, then exhaust itself, the cam in recording will shut down andsavefile, unlimited record time with a battery.

the battery will give you while on/of up to 90 minutes record time so turning it on record 10 secs turn off. 10 minutes later turn on setsomefeatures record 2 minutes leave on and camera goes to a auto shut down ifset to 1,3,5 or on. and any way youdo itwill last up to 90 minutes.

we own the action 30-50 minutes MAX.

the jazz 80-100 minutes MAX.

Budget wise any store will sell recorders, I use my other cams as a recorder. I did a video called Red windexpidition, and a great job i think I did.

the cam will only again Pick up any sound within 10 feet any hybrid cam today outdoors forgetaboutit.:G a recorder unsure a mic unsure modding a decision.

ColmCille wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fishy,

Thanks for the welcome. Answers to your questions below in red.

I am enjoying the camera, it does pretty good for what I bought it for--to record family memories. I have a young niece I want to record on special occasions and such, and my parents are getting up there and one day the videos will be all we have left.

I can hear sound better when I transfer to computer and play from there. It's not too bad, really. Still, it's not as loud as I'd like, even with volume all the way up. And if I add an additional sound track, it pretty much drowns out the sound of the video, even if I adjust the sound balance toward the video (though that may be a glitch in Movie Maker)

I can live with it, but would prefer if I could get louder sound.

Could you recommend a separate digital recorder and mic, one that is fairly inexpensive, yet does halfway decent sound and with USB? Not expecting miracles, but I am on government disability payments, so can't afford too much.

Thanks for your help. Your video reviews really helped me out.

--James

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Welcome aboard Calmcille.

1. When you say you playback thevideo on the cam and cannot hear yourself, are you raising htevolume up on the camera? Yes / no

Yes, all the way up, as I said. I can hear myself, just barely.

If you arefilmingand you are within a range of hands grip to 10 feet of the cam youwill beable to hear yourself on the cam on Playback-to-Pc playback-to-oline, etc.......

Yes, I am holding the camera when I film, my mouth is about a foot and a half away.

If you fall out of the 10 foot area the Mic cannot pick up your voice . If it is of a natural loudsound forexample train whistle itwil deffently pick it up. it's likea somethingmust trigger the mic to pick up the sound, our voices may not be strong enough to trigger the senser mic.....

2. the baterry life is very good for the device I 90 minutes is long, you can just purchasea spare battery and you'll do fine.

Does it record for 90 minutes? Or is that an average of recording, playback, standby, etc?

enjoy the cam, andwelcome aboard, even ifit's the first cam, it is a beginning, a beginners model, and tht you'll move on to a more advance model and can say, I learned a lot..............
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:45 AM   #210

ColmCille,

If a DVD player has file browsing capability then generally it will play raw mpeg2 files, but of course it is better to author a DVD so that it will play on any DVD player. Usually the cheaper DVD players are better for raw mpeg2 or even mpeg1 playing.

DVD-R is supposed to have the best compatibility with DVD players followed by DVD+R, so generally I always buy DVD-R. I haven't had a problem with DVD-R so far.

I agree that Windows DVD maker has poor menu functionality. One feature that is very annoying is the lack of ability to actually assign a title to each menu option. It only seems to allow thumbnails. I just don't know what Microsoft were thinking. I guess a case of being too flashy and forgetting an important basic function.

You are right of course that Windows DVD maker does the encoding for you. I tried adding the original Jazz HDV178 files and it didn't accept them, so it seems you do have to convert them to another recognized format before you can do so.

That free DVD author program looks interesting. I may have a look at it sometime.

I remember when I had my first DVD player I used to burn my movies onto Video CD!

It was one of the few that could play Video CDs at the time, but the problem was it didn't play or recognize CDR's so at first it seemed authoring my own would be a non starter until I found out it would play CDRW's! Apparently the reflectivity of a CDRW is closer to that of a regular commercial CD so it could fool the player into thinking it was playing one.

I remember downloading some really crude software which I think created bin and cue files and created my first Video CD. It was fun watching your own movie on a DVD player for the first time. I used Video CD because I didn't have a DVD burner at the time. If done from a good source they can often be surprisingly watchable with minimal pixelation.

Of course now that DVD burners are practically given away now, it doesn't make sense to use VCD any more.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote