Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:09 PM   #211

http://vimeo.com/1718492

here are some shots at a good low light level, and these two spots just seem to always be in the ski LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 6:50 PM   #212

As I was answering the other post. I found out that the Jaz is only MONO asingle playback so viewing on a tv only Mono.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:34 AM   #213

I still have my Jazz 178 but I'm running into some small issues and it's the lack of a adjustable shutter speed..

I'm thinking of getting a more high end camera maybe a Canon or a Samsung but not 100% sure yet on that..

most is I can't change my frame rate modes and shutter speeds.. I could take My Canon XL2 out but it's a heavy camera I don't want to lug around.
SubaruB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:28 PM   #214

Hi rgccam,

My player is cheap, but it doesn't browse video files. It will browse jpg.

I finally got Windows Movie Maker and DVD maker to work straight through. I edited my movie in Movie Maker, then selected burn, and it took me to DVD maker, and everything went well that time. I used raw avi files right from the camera. Maybe running it through Movie Maker first made a difference.

It's good to know that DVD-R is more compatible. Though I am using Sony DVD+R without problems in my own player, they may have issues in other players.

I never have known what Microsoft is thinking. I think many would agree. :lol:

I'm just getting into this stuff, so I have no experience with VCDs. Although I enjoy shooting vids, and have always enjoyed photography, I doubt I will ever get much farther than the Jazz, since I am disabled and on a small fixed income. Can't afford those $500 or $1,000 cameras, not to mention all the other accessories. And I probably won't use the HD ability much, either, since I don't have HD anything, except my computer screen.

I probably could have saved up for an Aiptek, but it seems to me the small improvement isn't really worth the cost. I know quality isn't exactly parallel to cost, so I don't expect twice the quality for twice the money. But I do expect a good sized jump in quality. The $200 Aipteks seems to have a noticeably better video in some cases, worse audio, possibly worse battery life, and fairly equivalent features.

So, I chose the Jazz.

Take care,
James
ColmCille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:35 PM   #215

Hi Fishy,

Thanks for the info. I am quite impressed with the battery life.

I wonder if a budget recorder with an external mic will produce better sound? I guess one thing about them is I can get the mic as close as I need to the action. So, I could get past ten feet. :roll:

What do you mean by modding? Taking the camera apart and replacing the mic? :shock:

Regards,
James

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
the cam with a battery will last 90 minutes while turned on , and recording, then exhaust itself, the cam in recording will shut down andsavefile, unlimited record time with a battery.

the battery will give you while on/of up to 90 minutes record time so turning it on record 10 secs turn off. 10 minutes later turn on setsomefeatures record 2 minutes leave on and camera goes to a auto shut down ifset to 1,3,5 or on. and any way youdo itwill last up to 90 minutes.

we own the action 30-50 minutes MAX.

the jazz 80-100 minutes MAX.

Budget wise any store will sell recorders, I use my other cams as a recorder. I did a video called Red windexpidition, and a great job i think I did.

the cam will only again Pick up any sound within 10 feet any hybrid cam today outdoors forgetaboutit.:G a recorder unsure a mic unsure modding a decision.

ColmCille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:46 AM   #216

any recorder, I use my othercams asa voice recorder. I edit both in time consuming.

dvd vcd are good. recording in Sdstandard will show Pixlation so try recording in Hi def, and still save to a dvd , xompare both, you'll keep Hi def. LOL

reason the jazz is a great low proccessor cam will play good, and its video is average and in hi def makes the standard look like its slo mo........

ColmCille wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fishy,

Thanks for the info. I am quite impressed with the battery life.

I wonder if a budget recorder with an external mic will produce better sound? I guess one thing about them is I can get the mic as close as I need to the action. So, I could get past ten feet. :roll:

What do you mean by modding? Taking the camera apart and replacing the mic? :shock:

Regards,
James

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
the cam with a battery will last 90 minutes while turned on , and recording, then exhaust itself, the cam in recording will shut down andsavefile, unlimited record time with a battery.

the battery will give you while on/of up to 90 minutes record time so turning it on record 10 secs turn off. 10 minutes later turn on setsomefeatures record 2 minutes leave on and camera goes to a auto shut down ifset to 1,3,5 or on. and any way youdo itwill last up to 90 minutes.

we own the action 30-50 minutes MAX.

the jazz 80-100 minutes MAX.

Budget wise any store will sell recorders, I use my other cams as a recorder. I did a video called Red windexpidition, and a great job i think I did.

the cam will only again Pick up any sound within 10 feet any hybrid cam today outdoors forgetaboutit.:G a recorder unsure a mic unsure modding a decision.

Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:31 AM   #217

ColmCille,

Now I have a 3 year old and my wife stays at home to look after him, I know what you mean about being able to afford the more expensive cameras :G

The Aipteks do seem to have slightly better video than the Jazz 178 but as you say the difference is not huge so you don't have to worry, you made a good choice on a limited income. It's mainly on complex scenes that you notice the difference ie the Aiptek HD cameras are a little less pixellated. In fact I am aiming to get the z600, if the video samples are the same as the Action HD etc but with reasonable stereo sound. I am not convinced the initial video sample that fishycomics found is representative and I hope I am right about that!

I would still use the HD mode on your Jazz though. Remember you can never go back and reshoot, so use the highest quality mode you can at the time. Memory is very cheap now, so I think it's worth the extra space it uses. While you may not have a HD TV now, you never know what you might get in the future and when you do, your video already be in HD format! If ever you need the video in non HD format, then it's a simple matter of converting it. Remember you can't convert upwards in quality, only downwards.

I only view my HD video on my computer myself. Unless you have a Bluray DVD burner, which most of us don't, you won't be viewing it in HD on your TV at the moment anyway apart from directly connecting the camera that is.

Anyway enjoy your camera!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:48 PM   #218

Thanks Fishy! I will look into your comments...

skeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:50 PM   #219

Thanks RGVcam! I'll look into this and let you know.
skeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:54 AM   #220

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
http://vimeo.com/1437093

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZZC1-Ya7nrY

Youtube option for hd or not.

I have to agree with RGVCAM subaru84..

i just tossed this togethre in a few minutestime, but Steve went haywire and updated hmmm hours later

enjoy
Can you explain to me why the two versions ofthis videoare shown in such different qualities. Why is the top link so much clearer.

Sorry to sound like a numpty, but I am totally new to digital camcorder formatting.
Slamdunkin is offline   Reply With Quote