Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:18 PM   #261

thx very much
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:01 PM   #262

ProDigit wrote:
Quote:

There is a switch next to the lense, with mountains / flower.
It seems when setting it on flower there is a certain distance that need to be pertained from the source. I found you can get best results by fully zooming in on a detailed area of the picture you want to make.
Then moving the camera closer or further away from the source until the image is razorsharp; then zoom out and take the picture.
When having the camera in the 'flower' position all normal recordings will seem blurry,so you have to remember to turn it back off later on.
Yes, this is explained in the manual. The "flower" setting is only for close-up shots as you described, with the focal length fixed at20 cm (7-7/8 in.). I'll have to try the zoom trick... I've been trying to judge the distance visually at about 8 in. for close up shots.

jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:13 PM   #263

Correct the macro/infinity swich is located on page two. the distance should be not up to a few inchs the max pic-or-vid will be closest set in macro 18 inchs infinity24 plusinchs I am off by a few inchs oh well.

jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
ProDigit wrote:
Quote:

There is a switch next to the lense, with mountains / flower.
It seems when setting it on flower there is a certain distance that need to be pertained from the source. I found you can get best results by fully zooming in on a detailed area of the picture you want to make.
Then moving the camera closer or further away from the source until the image is razorsharp; then zoom out and take the picture.
When having the camera in the 'flower' position all normal recordings will seem blurry,so you have to remember to turn it back off later on.
Yes, this is explained in the manual. The "flower" setting is only for close-up shots as you described, with the focal length fixed at20 cm (7-7/8 in.). I'll have to try the zoom trick... I've been trying to judge the distance visually at about 8 in. for close up shots.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:24 AM   #264

http://vimeo.com/2132199

malls ofAmerica shots in HD 6 mins
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:30 PM   #265

Hello,

I am new to the forum and just got my new Jazz 178 from ebay. I seem to be having a problem and maybe someone can help me out. I can't seem to get the light on the camera to function. I pushed on the zoom and brought up the menu but when I change it to light ON the light does not activate and the setting does not stick and goes back into the OFF mode when I choose the light option. Did I get a bugged cam or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help/
Exmortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:46 PM   #266

EXmor.....

first welcome aboard.

you cannot get the light to go on with going htrough thezoom in/out press. so lets try a different way.

1 turn cam on, back of cam are buttons. below the zoom

will be three buttons

the center button. the upper is a hd/vga and below is the light/auto/ on/flash/off

PRESS it two times if not three.

then the light will come on .

IF the light does not come on then either the led is burnt out.or defective LOtt

you arnot hte only one. Ebay is not a store and returns are of the seller and buyer agreement.

Push comes to shove wally world

no firmware is out o r will fix it........

Exmortis wrote:

Quote:
Hello,

I am new to the forum and just got my new Jazz 178 from ebay. I seem to be having a problem and maybe someone can help me out. I can't seem to get the light on the camera to function. I pushed on the zoom and brought up the menu but when I change it to light ON the light does not activate and the setting does not stick and goes back into the OFF mode when I choose the light option. Did I get a bugged cam or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help/
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:03 PM   #267

Thanks Fishy,

It did not work so I sent a message to the seller who has a good record of selling these units about an exchange. The problem getting these suckers for me is I am up in Canada and Wal-Mart does not carry them. I should of taken the 45 minutes to jump in the car and hop the border for one.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:10 PM   #268

ha-ha-ha you may have to travel a lot further over that boarder most wally worlds do not have. I am looking for a spare. and that is the chance wetake.

trust me that led light only throws 1 foot of workable light. no more it is a safety flash light to see where you're walking no more
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:08 PM   #269

Exmortis wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Fishy,

It did not work so I sent a message to the seller who has a good record of selling these units about an exchange. The problem getting these suckers for me is I am up in Canada and Wal-Mart does not carry them. I should of taken the 45 minutes to jump in the car and hop the border for one.

Not that it's a factor now, but there is the exact same camera sold in Canada under a different name, but I don't recall what it is. It was mentioned in a totally unrelated forum. It was not sold at Walmart stores, but one of your other mass merchandising outlets.

Adorama.com also has had the JAZZ HDV178... not sure if they ship to Canada, though.

That said, you are not missing anything if the light does not work. It's only value is for adding a small amount of light when shooting close ups. It's useless for any regular video shooting.

jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:23 PM   #270

Well the seller was really helpful and shipped me out a new tested HDV178 right away express with a paid return envelope. The seller did say that some of the HDV178's she got in the latest batch had issues with the front light...It is a great little cam.