Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:40 AM   #271

hello everyone....i was thinking of buying the jazz hdv178, does anyone know if walmart still has it on sale and at what price? cause it doents seem to be on their website.
Its not that im just lazy to check it out by myself, i dont live on the US and i was going to ask to a friend to buy it for me there.

Thnks :-)
kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:27 PM   #272

kaminari wrote:
Quote:
hello everyone....i was thinking of buying the jazz hdv178, does anyone know if walmart still has it on sale and at what price? cause it doents seem to be on their website.
Its not that im just lazy to check it out by myself, i dont live on the US and i was going to ask to a friend to buy it for me there.

Thnks :-)
As far as I know they are still selling them. I remember seeing them fairly recently but I can't remember exactly when though!

Walmart have never had it on their website, at least everytime I've ever looked. It's a bit of a hit or miss as to whether the nearest store has them. I don't know the reasoning as to why they don't show them online. I wonder if there is anyone on this forum that works in Walmart and does know why?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:02 PM   #273

Amazon.com has been selling the JAZZ HDV178 lately as well.
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:28 PM   #274

Hey guys, I recently purchased a Jazz hdv178 and it worked pretty well when I first got it. It records very well during the day, with virtually no errors. But I then tried to record at night, where there is little light, and it seems like it goes into cell-phone mode. Everything gets all blurry, it can't keep up with the motion, it's all fuzzy and looks like, well a cell phone video. Even when I get in a place where this is some light, but not much, it still records pretty bad. I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to record, but being 100 bucks, I can't really complain.

But recently it has had a problem that has really annoyed me. When I press the record button, it goes to a black screen for about 5 seconds, and then the image appears, but it doesn't record until about another 5 seconds later, where it finally records, and even then, it won't zoom in for ANOTHER 5 seconds...

Now this didn't happen until a couple weeks ago, and I can't seem to find out why, or if anyone else has these problems.

Thanks, Taylor.

EDIT: I can post up some videos of how bad it records during night time if you need me to...
s13Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:29 PM   #275

The poor low light video is perfectly normal for these low cost camcorders.

Do you have a different memory card you can try? It sounds like there might be a problem with the write speed to your memory card.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:27 AM   #276

sounds almost like youre taking a picture instead of video
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:57 PM   #277

jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
The poor low light video is perfectly normal for these low cost camcorders.

Do you have a different memory card you can try? It sounds like there might be a problem with the write speed to your memory card.
I can see if I can get another card, but I'm not sure.
But I've had the same card in there, and it just recently started doing it. So that's what makes me think it has something to do with the actual camera.

And no, I'm definitely taking a video lol. It just takes FOREVER to start recording, sometimes I end up missing what I'm trying to record in the first place..
s13Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:59 AM   #278

I changed computers and lost the software i was using to create DVD's that came with this Jazz 178 camera. Does anybody know the exact name of it and where i can find it to download? I think it was Arcsoft Media Impression but not sure. Or does anybody else know a good/free program to be used to create dvd's from video files that allows easy editing and scene blends? Any help is appreciated - thx!
crf2318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:45 PM   #279

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Jazz Elite HDV-188 is also rebranded as a Best Buy's Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 for $149.99 (I purchased my for $99 on the Black Friday Sale).

The specs match to a tee and the firmware check described in this discussion works too.

This is the link to the Best Buy Insignia Camcorder product page (the Jazz HDV-178 is on the page too)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=croo tcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d3031 2d3031~~cabcat0400000%23%230%23%23j6~~cabcat040300 0%23%230%23%2323~~cabcat0403006%23%230%23%23l~~nf3 98%7C%7C496e7369676e696126233137343b&list=y&am p;nrp=15&sc=abCameraCamcorderSP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0400000

This is a link to the Insignia Website. You can obtain the manuals here too:

http://www.insignia-products.com/c-52-digital-camcorders.aspx

In addition, the Jazz Elite HDV-188 is also rebranded as a Hammacher Schlemmer The Shirt Pocket HD Camcorder for $299 (Ouch!)

This is the link to the Hammacher Schlemmer product page.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/76050.asp

I do believe there are maybe 2 or 3 more repackage/branded versions of this camera. I am just too lazy to go look for them again (sorry).

I purchased this camcorder after looking at all of reviews and choose this camera based on it's value for money. I wanted something cheap that I did have to worry about loosing or damaging. In addition, the low cost means that I can economically upgrade by buying a new camcorder next year and be guilt free.

Key points that I find helpful to using this camcorder:

1. Leave the Image Stabilizer OFF. Zooming while recording can only be done with the stabilizer off. There is a slight reduction in quality due to a drop in frame rate as a result of the stabilizer.

2. Adjust, adjust, adjust. Make sure you fine tune your settings to get an optimal recording.

3. Use a handheld tripod. I find that the handheld tripod actually helps me operate the camcorder more smoothly.

eban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:42 PM   #280

eban wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Jazz Elite HDV-188 is also rebranded as a Best Buy's Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 for $149.99 (I purchased my for $99 on the Black Friday Sale).

The specs match to a tee and the firmware check described in this discussion works too.

Well, they are close but not identical as I recall. The JAZZ HDV188 has an NP-60 Li-Ion replaceable battery, and the Insignia uses AA rechargeable batteries, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Amazon.com sells the JAZZ for $139, so take your pick!:-)