Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:31 AM   #281
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Default

It has the same battery.

It's on sale now at Best Buys for $99.99 (rebranded Jazz H8DV188

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...p;type=product

The rebranded Jazz HDV178 is $69.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217076175


Attached Images
 
eban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:39 PM   #282
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

yes the 178 has a li-on and 179 2aa there are a model number difference but botht he same cam. 2aa becomes 3.0 or 2.4 vdc less power then 3.7vdc so time will be 60 plus minutes still not bad if lithiums are used, and not rechargables you'll increase time if alkalines time is less.

sent a email to insignia for firmware response no reply LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:59 PM   #283
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
eban wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Jazz Elite HDV-188 is also rebranded as a Best Buy's Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 for $149.99 (I purchased my for $99 on the Black Friday Sale).

The specs match to a tee and the firmware check described in this discussion works too.




Well, they are close but not identical as I recall. The JAZZ HDV188 has an NP-60 Li-Ion replaeable bettery, and the Insignia uses AA rechargeable batteries, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Amazon.com sells the JAZZ for $139, so take your pick!:-)
A quick look on bestbuy.com reveals 'Rechargeable lithium-ion battery'. Since it's identical in size to the Jazz, it wouldn'thave enough space for AA batteries, AAA perhaps. Even so, what led you to believe it used AA batteries? Hardly any of these hybrids use AA batteries now apart from the older models such as the ISDV2's etc.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 4:34 PM   #284
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Default

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
eban wrote:
Quote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Jazz Elite HDV-188 is also rebranded as a Best Buy's Insignia NS-DCC5HB09 for $149.99 (I purchased my for $99 on the Black Friday Sale).

The specs match to a tee and the firmware check described in this discussion works too.




Well, they are close but not identical as I recall. The JAZZ HDV188 has an NP-60 Li-Ion replaeable bettery, and the Insignia uses AA rechargeable batteries, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Amazon.com sells the JAZZ for $139, so take your pick!:-)
A quick look on bestbuy.com reveals 'Rechargeable lithium-ion battery'. Since it's identical in size to the Jazz, it wouldn'thave enough space for AA batteries, AAA perhaps. Even so, what led you to believe it used AA batteries? Hardly any of these hybrids use AA batteries now apart from the older models such as the ISDV2's etc.
Well, I clicked on the links... see this link from two posts back:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217076175

It clearly says 2AA batteries.... maybe erroneously, but that's what is stated.
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 4:44 PM   #285
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Default

eban wrote:
Quote:
It has the same battery.

It's on sale now at Best Buys for $99.99 (rebranded Jazz H8DV188

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...p;type=product

The rebranded Jazz HDV178 is $69.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215217076175


There's some confusing links.:? The one you mention as JAZZ HDV178 shows a picture that looks like the 188, not the 178, and it says it has 2 AA batteries! That's the one I looked at in your first postsince it looks like the JAZZ 188.

Looking closer at the specs for the one you said was the 178,that one only shoots640x480, and not very clearly per the user reviews. So that's definitely not the same as the 178 which shoots 1280x720P like the 188.

The one that has the same specs(and battery) asthe 188 looks totally different, but the cost is better than the 188.:-)
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:48 PM   #286
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

bestbuy 69.99 is the jazz 179 simular to the 178 li-on or 2aa the 188 is 99 same cam
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:49 PM   #287
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 149
Default

again, the best buy model only shoots at 640x480. so its not even the same league as the jazz 178 which shoots in 1080x720. id gladly pay the extra $30 for the bigger size
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:53 PM   #288
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Default

What is best card for the jazz 188?
Savemeaslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:02 PM   #289
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Get a card of at least 4GB if you want to record for as long as the battery lasts (2 hours). The card shouldhave a "Class 6" (or 40X or higher) speed rating to be sure you are not losing data. The Jazz has a bit rate of 4100 to 4200 kbps on average. There might be some Class 4 cards that can handle this, but get Class 6 to be sure.

Beyond that it's a matter of price and any preference for particular brands. I prefer Sandisk cards, and you'll find many sales and discounts on line from time to time if you google around a bit.
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:39 PM   #290
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
Get a card of at least 4GB if you want to record for as long as the battery lasts (2 hours). The card shouldhave a "Class 6" (or 40X or higher) speed rating to be sure you are not losing data. The Jazz has a bit rate of 4100 to 4200 kbps on average. There might be some Class 4 cards that can handle this, but get Class 6 to be sure.

Beyond that it's a matter of price and any preference for particular brands. I prefer Sandisk cards, and you'll find many sales and discounts on line from time to time if you google around a bit.
Ignore the Insignia NS-DCC5SR09 as that is just a VGA camcorder. The NS-DCC5HB09 is is really a clone of the 188 but the 188 shoots exactly the same video as the 178. The difference is the LCD size and how it is attached.

As to the bitrate, you do not need a highspeed card in any of these inexpensive hybrids. The bitrate is well below that even a basic SD (nono SDHC) card can handle.

Remember the speed ratings for cards are quoted in Mega BYTES not BITS! Whereas the camera bitrate is in Mega BITS. So a Class 6 card which is rated at 6MB/s would be overkill.

The only advantage to a high speed card is in reading it on a card reader.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:09 PM.