Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 17, 2008, 10:43 PM   #21

you're welcomed. if you're using a certain player then you'll see issues, if you're using an old machine and the video card memopry etc is not to par you'll see them.

not a pro at every single detail glad you read or found hte issue :G

DVRACING wrote:
Quote:
Well after playing around with it, it was the stablization setting that was stopping me from zooming. Thanks guys. So I guess I won't need to buy a class 6 SDHC card since the stuttering won't help aleviate it. Oh by the way, the "stutter" is more noticeable when I play it on my laptop. It looks like when I pan its "wavy" at some points of the pan. I guess I will have to pan slower so I won't get that problem.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 11:00 PM   #22

The instruction book wasn't much of a help, it was more of trial and error. I just can't believe how clear this little guy is. I have a Hi-8 Sony and it doesn't even come close. Any suggestions on a longer run time battery?
DVRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 8:16 AM   #23

We all say that but it is clearly writen in there exactly twlling you that if the macro is on hte zoom is disabled, if stablization is on it is disabled

yes it is not the best but hey it also clearly states this is a Video device more than a camera device :G

guess also the important notes are as well

DVRACING wrote:
Quote:
The instruction book wasn't much of a help, it was more of trial and error. I just can't believe how clear this little guy is. I have a Hi-8 Sony and it doesn't even come close. Any suggestions on a longer run time battery?
Old May 18, 2008, 11:51 AM   #24

Well have been playing around with the DV 188 and found out that with the stablization off I don't get any stutter than I would with it on. I even try to pan very very slow with it on and the "stutter" was still noticeable. Since you say that a faster card will not help (SDHC class 6) due to the camera buffer, than I am opt. not to use this feature as much.:sad: Oh well. Still a good camera for the price.
DVRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 1:53 PM   #25

do not let us stop you spending unwanted $$$

Today I went out with both the Aiptek and Jazz178 I only used the Jazz178 placed on the tripod got about 25 miles of skating footage in this time yesterday I got about 20 with the AIptek and a lil of the Jazz. both were used with a tripod, I concitrated on safety and wish I had a bette rgrip for filming lol

hope to share some footage when my editing tools are with me in the mean time I'll try to use Jazz total midea impressions but we'll not have a HD format so this is wher eI go to the total extreme with a Hfd format thanks
Old May 19, 2008, 8:51 AM   #26

Thanks for taking the time to answer my PM's Fishycomics. I really appreciate it.

To be honest, it was reading this forum that persuaded me to buy the Jazz, but that was before I saw ( or before you even posted perhaps?) your comparison review video. That said, I could only find the 188 on ebay anyway.

For anyone overseas still looking for one, there are plenty on ebay for around $100 from the same seller I got mine from. They ARE brand new and unopened.

The BIG question though is where do I find replacement batteries? Are there any websites out there that you Jazz owners KNOW of, as I'm having trouble finding any by googling as Fishycomics suggested. I live in the UK, so I can't just go down to my local electric shop and buy one. There MUST be somewhere that you can buy replacements from!

Such a shame that Jazz's own website doesn't have a customer support/ sales section. Very dissapointed with that.

Thanks Guys!

David
pootle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:24 AM   #27

pootle50 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer my PM's Fishycomics. I really appreciate it.

To be honest, it was reading this forum that persuaded me to buy the Jazz, but that was before I saw ( or before you even posted perhaps?) your comparison review video. That said, I could only find the 188 on ebay anyway.

For anyone overseas still looking for one, there are plenty on ebay for around $100 from the same seller I got mine from. They ARE brand new and unopened.

The BIG question though is where do I find replacement batteries? Are there any websites out there that you Jazz owners KNOW of, as I'm having trouble finding any by googling as Fishycomics suggested. I live in the UK, so I can't just go down to my local electric shop and buy one. There MUST be somewhere that you can buy replacements from!

Such a shame that Jazz's own website doesn't have a customer support/ sales section. Very dissapointed with that.

Thanks Guys!

David
I see the NP60 battery available on amazon.co.uk. They are inexpensive as far as these type of batteries go.

The current Jazz website is very poor I agree. All flash and no substance. The old site was better and had support. Hopefully they will add this to their new site soon, but they certainly don't seem to be in a hurry!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:28 AM   #28

Did you have a chance to try it with your RC plane? If yes, what were the results? How did you attach it?

I have both the Jazz 178 and the Aiptek A-HD+1080p. I ended up with both because the one Walmart I went to did not carry the Jazz 178 (or I couldn't find it). I found it at another Walmart SuperCenter nestled near photo developing, by the digital and video cameras, but hung on a peg with the kid's cameras. I guess to Walmart merchandising people who classify products it looks like a toy. I paid $99.

The Aiptek A-HD+1080p was bought first because I had no success finding the Jazz at the first Walmart I visited. I tried Circuit City and they had some early versions of the Aiptek cameras but they looked clunky. Price was $100. I went to Best Buy and they had a sale on the Aiptek A-HD+1080pfor $140.

My intentis aerial photography with my RC planes. I have 5-1 edvr which is OK, but not with only 128 mbwhen recording at30 fps you end up with very little video. Quality is OK, but it's still only webcam / cell phone quality. It is most certainly better than most camera phones, but nothing like the quality of either the Aiptek A-HD or Jazz 178.

I am planning how to install the Jazz on my RC plane. It has a 46" wingspanc and 30 mm thick epp profile fuselage that can have a hole cut through to pass the Jazz through and then use velcro to retain it.
Prof100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:09 AM   #29

JimKallinen wrote:
Quote:
Just picked up a Jazz 178 from Wally World for $96.15. Got to love the fact
that my wife works there and I get a discount card to. Only 10% but it sure
helps. Going to be using this little HD camera on my RC planes. My old Aiptek
A-HD bit the dust in a crash onto a frozen lake back in January. RC plane was
easilt repaired but the aiptek was totalled.

This little jazz is far smaller then the my Aiptek A-HD to. Just hope that it will
record video as well. Have it on the charger right now and it should be ready
by tonight to test out. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Did you have a chance to try it with your RC plane? If yes, what were the results? How did you attach it?

I have both the Jazz 178 and the Aiptek A-HD+1080p. I ended up with both because the one Walmart I went to did not carry the Jazz 178 (or I couldn't find it). I found it at another Walmart SuperCenter nestled near photo developing, by the digital and video cameras, but hung on a peg with the kid's cameras. I guess to Walmart merchandising people who classify products it looks like a toy. I paid $99.

The Aiptek A-HD+1080p was bought first because I had no success finding the Jazz at the first Walmart I visited. I tried Circuit City and they had some early versions of the Aiptek cameras but they looked clunky. Price was $100. I went to Best Buy and they had a sale on the Aiptek A-HD+1080pfor $140.

My intentis aerial photography with my RC planes. I have 5-1 edvr which is OK, but not with only 128 mbwhen recording at30 fps you end up with very little video. Quality is OK, but it's still only webcam / cell phone quality. It is most certainly better than most camera phones, but nothing like the quality of either the Aiptek A-HD or Jazz 178.

I am planning how to install the Jazz on my RC plane. It has a 46" wingspanc and 30 mm thick epp profile fuselage that can have a hole cut through to pass the Jazz through and then use velcro to retain it.
Prof100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 2:05 PM   #30

Sorry about not replying sooner. Had an accident at work and am one armed
right now. Dislocated right elbow has left me with huge prolems being right
handed. Typing with with my left hand is tough.

Have not had the chance to even test out the Jazz yet as the accident happened
right after getting it charged up. Should a couple weeks before I am able to start
using my right hand again and able to use my TX to fly.
JimKallinen is offline   Reply With Quote