Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:32 PM   #331

SportActionCam wrote:
Quote:

I'd like to find a knock offof the 178our a place that has the 178 stock. I'm looking to by a ton of them and Jazz is no longer going to be making them. I have always bought directly from Jazz. I'd like to avoid buying the Jazz label since it's no one will have access to them once they are gone.
Don't know of alternate labelling for the JAZZ that is identical here in the US... there are some in Canada and Europe. But this place may have a supply of the JAZZ for now:

http://www.adorama.com/VDJHDV178.html
jazzhdv178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:42 PM   #332

qv98 wrote:
Quote:
whats the best program for editing this? i want to have contrast and brightness adjustable, and be able to export it to xvid or divx at 720p

im having a tough time getting it to work in virtualdub, even after if encoded it to a different codec
Not sure what issues you are having. I can load into Vdub, reencode it using the same H.264 video codec and an .AVI container with the "ffdshow" h.264 codec pack, then load that file back into Vdub and clip away with none of that "first frame" retention workaround.

I also use MAGIX Movei Edit Pro 14 Plus which somehow gets around that first frame issue without first re-encoding, but some of the fancier transitions (like 3D morphing) flicker unless I first re-encode. I tried the new MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 PLus, but it's worse... that first frame issue is now in that version where it wasn't in version 14.

Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:29 AM   #333

jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
qv98 wrote:
Quote:
whats the best program for editing this? i want to have contrast and brightness adjustable, and be able to export it to xvid or divx at 720p

im having a tough time getting it to work in virtualdub, even after if encoded it to a different codec
Not sure what issues you are having. I can load into Vdub, reencode it using the same H.264 video codec and an .AVI container with the "ffdshow" h.264 codec pack, then load that file back into Vdub and clip away with none of that "first frame" retention workaround.

I also use MAGIX Movei Edit Pro 14 Plus which somehow gets around that first frame issue without first re-encoding, but some of the fancier transitions (like 3D morphing) flicker unless I first re-encode. I tried the new MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 15 PLus, but it's worse... that first frame issue is now in that version where it wasn't in version 14.

it turns out virtualdubmod has trouble wih the files, but not the standard virtualdub. pretty odd

i thought i tried out magix and it didnt work, ill try it again
qv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:42 AM   #334

qv98 wrote:
Quote:
jazzhdv178 wrote:
Quote:
qv98 wrote:
Quote:

it turns out virtualdubmod has trouble wih the files, but not the standard virtualdub. pretty odd

i thought i tried out magix and it didnt work, ill try it again
It might depend on which versions of Vdub and VdubMod you have. I've used both and try to keep the latest revs. I had a problem with one not using the ffdshow codec recently. I D/Led a different compilation (by clsid)and that one worked.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:40 PM   #335

Hello, I purchased my HDV-178 a little over a year ago and it has worked great. Unfortunately about a month ago I misplaced my AC charger. I tried using a couple of cell phone chargers but no luck. Anyone had any luck with an aftermarket or different charger other than the one that came with the camera?

Thanks in advance for any help....
jaxwithanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 5:22 PM   #336

jaxwithanx wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I purchased my HDV-178 a little over a year ago and it has worked great. Unfortunately about a month ago I misplaced my AC charger. I tried using a couple of cell phone chargers but no luck. Anyone had any luck with an aftermarket or different charger other than the one that came with the camera?

Thanks in advance for any help....
Any simple wall wart charger rated at5V @1 amp with the samemini-USB plug will work withthe JAZZ.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:39 PM   #337

does anyone know if you can record while battery is charging, or without battery using external power?

thanks!
non.
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:15 PM   #338

NO to first.

YES to second, but the JAZZ is a bit cranky if it doesn't see a voltage on that middle battery tab. I tried a different Lipo battery with just itstwo main power tabs connected, and sometimes it worked OK, but other times not.

Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:47 PM   #339

http://www.amazon.com/Z730-FinePix-R717-Olympus-2004-Panasonic-SV-AV10R-Pentax-PDR-T30-Digital/dp/B000JLU2A8/ref=pd_sim_e_28
Brand New Digital Camera & Camcorder Home Travel Charger with Car Adapter
Eforcity Replacement Standard Battery
List Price: $34.99 Price: $2.31
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...W&v=glance
Price For Both: $3.32
.................................................. .................................................. ...........
Eforcity COMPATIBLE NP-60 Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery+ charger + 2 g SanDisk sd card + CTC 6-in-1 USB 2.0 High Speed Memory Card Reader for SD SDHC miniSD MiniSDHC MMC free
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...I&v=glance
Special Offers and Product Promotions Receive 1 CTC 6-in-1 USB 2.0 High Speed Memory Card Reader for SD SDHC miniSD MiniSDHC MMC free for each eligible Sandisk MicroSD, MicroSDHC, Secure Digital or MiniSD card you purchase from ChiTek (MUST ADD BOTH ITEMS TO CART)
Price For All four:$3.64

reply to the one ho need the battery .replace the NP-60 battery
jo7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:41 PM   #340

Well, it seems there is yet another incarnation of the JAZZ HDV178, this one possibly unique to Walmart based on the sticker on the package. Again it's bigger, with angled lens and slightly larger LCD. The main difference in video is it's WVGA (848x480)widescreen video shooting at 60 fps (1280x720p is still at 30 fps). Also, file container is .MOV instead of .AVI.