Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:12 PM   #71

On one of the models the 178 or 188 it will take a 8 gig sdhc, on the box if not I appologise, but the camera will accept it and will work if it onloy says 4 the ycan go beyond the recommended size, this holds true for the older hybrids owned. my Mustek dv4500 is old 2000-2001, it will take the 4 gig while it says only 512 max LOL.

As for the issue mine has zero issues, so it must be a bad one I say return and get a new one you read the book and got hte stabil,,, and macro off that you said and that is where the problem would be at.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:56 AM   #72

i bought my jazz hdv178 cam from wal-mart today, everything seems to be fine except the video part. i have a 512mb sd card. i record one video and it seems to be fine. when i view it, on the camera and as well as on the computer. then i try to record another video and it seems to be ok, with sound and everything on the camera but wen i view it on my computer it views but it doesnt play sound. it also doesnt play on my windows media player, only on VLC. (both videos were about 20-30 sec. long) does anyone know why this is so?

if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
eddiecarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:05 AM   #73

Welcome to the site.

1 the cam it works fine the video plays back. but the Pc is where you got the issue, it does not play correctly. is the video playing and hte sound is off synck,

Trouble shoot.

A pc is higher than 800 mhz

B Is the software loaded, the FFW driver...

C is your WMP higher then 7,8,9

D Can you load up a sample and not just a room, must have something like you in it to getto hear and see if in synck, if you do noyt want to be in the shot then use atv scene a news or person

then we can narrow down the trouble.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:35 AM   #74

DeDutchman wrote:
Quote:
Check the manual. "external memory: SD/MMC up to 4GB". I don't think it will recognize the 8GB card.
Often they state the maxmimum card that is available at the time they did the testing. SDHC devices should be able to address all the way upto 32GB but this may not be guaranteed depending on the brand of card. Non SDHC devices will top out at 2GB, ie my Sanyo C40 and Aiptek MPVR for instance.

For the Jazz HDV178 4GB is plenty since it will allow 2 hours of continuous HD recording which is sufficient for the vast majority of events. The battery won't last that long and the FAT32 filesize limit is also 4GB anyway so no real advantage in getting the 8GB card other than keeping the number of items to carry with you down.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:34 PM   #75

the box, was it 2 hours or 4 hours I know it was 16 hours Low res

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
DeDutchman wrote:
Quote:
Check the manual. "external memory: SD/MMC up to 4GB". I don't think it will recognize the 8GB card.
Often they state the maxmimum card that is available at the time they did the testing. SDHC devices should be able to address all the way upto 32GB but this may not be guaranteed depending on the brand of card. Non SDHC devices will top out at 2GB, ie my Sanyo C40 and Aiptek MPVR for instance.

For the Jazz HDV178 4GB is plenty since it will allow 2 hours of continuous HD recording which is sufficient for the vast majority of events. The battery won't last that long and the FAT32 filesize limit is also 4GB anyway so no real advantage in getting the 8GB card other than keeping the number of items to carry with you down.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:11 PM   #76

Quote:
the box, was it 2 hours or 4 hours I know it was 16 hours Low res

2 for High Definition and 4 for Standard Definition. You can work it out from the bitrate as well since 4Mbps in hidef mode is approx 1/2 MB/s so you can see an hours worth will take approx 2GB.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:29 PM   #77

I read the box and am sure 16 hours low res. and 4 hours hi res.

now freshly deleted 2 gig card

1:03:10 HD

2:03:34 D1

218:14 VGA

8:01:29 QVGA

yep my mind is on a 8 gig card thought the box said that remember 16 hours max low res:G
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:25 PM   #78

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I read the box and am sure 16 hours low res. and 4 hours hi res.

now freshly deleted 2 gig card

1:03:10 HD

2:03:34 D1

218:14 VGA

8:01:29 QVGA

yep my mind is on a 8 gig card thought the box said that remember 16 hours max low res:G
Yes as you say, it said that for an 8GB card. The math don't lie :G
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:19 PM   #79

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
As for the issue mine has zero issues, so it must be a bad one I say return and get a new one you read the book and got hte stabil,,, and macro off that you said and that is where the problem would be at.
Thanks, I wasn't comfortable with the way it worked but with such a poor manual and useless website support, I wasn't sure. Took it in today and got a replacement and everything (so far) works fine... even zooms in macro!
DeDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:51 PM   #80

stab. will stop the zoom not macro, not sure and yes wish I can go online to check them out not.

macro is only 20 inchs a joke but , mine I locked it out no need for it, and if needed I take this lil tab off and got it back I should try some shots but not worth it all my others will be ruined as Ipull out cam sets to macro and that infinity is ALL blurred.

very pleased you can now Film in hte economy Hd way

glad it worked out....FISHY