Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 14, 2008, 2:26 PM   #11

VLC doesn't seem to play much of any AVC very. If you are going to use an editor though that supports AVC you'll probably have to use QuickTime which works fine as long as you have the latest version. CoreAVC won't help editors. They started supporting the Ambarella AVC last fall. Ambarella for some unknown reasons uses B-Frames while the Jazz camera does not. Thus, under Linux there are no audio sync issues when playing the Jazz files with MPlayer (which will play the Ambarella files but out of sync unless you have it play from the command line using -framedrop ).

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 4:10 PM   #12

not to worry I take nothing to heart.

I stil lsay the aiptek fits in there nicely take some change out it will work just fine
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 4:20 PM   #13

Thanks for the replies!

VLC has no issues with the Aiptek video, so I assumed it would work well with others. I can try an ffmpeg or mplayer build to see if there's a quality differenc. It's not a stutter or glitching problem it seemed to me though, just regular macroblocking type noise.

rgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 4:58 PM   #14

the Jazz has noise and allows older pcs to play while the AIp is for a higher pc and is a better cam al together with different features. either way about a fingers lengnth difference or two the AIp will fit fine
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 9:43 PM   #15

rgoodwin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

VLC has no issues with the Aiptek video, so I assumed it would work well with others. I can try an ffmpeg or mplayer build to see if there's a quality differenc. It's not a stutter or glitching problem it seemed to me though, just regular macroblocking type noise.
Have a look at some of my sample 178 videos. It's better if you join so you can download the original files.

I guess different people have different thresholds of noise as I don't see the noise being that bad on the 178. I used it at a mothers day event and it certainly put a miniDVD camcorder to shame.

I have also had problems with VLC and Aiptek HD video. I have never been that impressed with VLC.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 9:47 PM   #16

Update:
I have just tried the latest VLC daily build (13 May 2008):
vlc-0.9.0-git-20080513-0003-win32.exe

It will now play Ambarella H264 OK, and works with both the Aiptek and DXG files.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:06 PM   #17

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:

I guess different people have different thresholds of noise as I don't see the noise being that bad on the 178. I used it at a mothers day event and it certainly put a miniDVD camcorder to shame.

I have also had problems with VLC and Aiptek HD video. I have never been that impressed with VLC.

I'm definitely a "pixel peeper" which is bad when budget shopping I've worked on video for a while, back in the early days of mpeg1 from hardware to multipass encoders, so I'm sadly pretty attuned to watching for noise. Drives the wife crazy watching tv

On Mac it's the opposite for me: VLC and quicktime play aiptek (sound, video) fine, but Jazz has video only, even on the nightlies. No big whoop.
rgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:58 PM   #18

rgoodwin wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:

I'm definitely a "pixel peeper" which is bad when budget shopping I've worked on video for a while, back in the early days of mpeg1 from hardware to multipass encoders, so I'm sadly pretty attuned to watching for noise. Drives the wife crazy watching tv

On Mac it's the opposite for me: VLC and quicktime play aiptek (sound, video) fine, but Jazz has video only, even on the nightlies. No big whoop.
I understand what you mean. I am still amazed at the quality of the Jazz 178 for it's price though. For general family use I find its fine and you tend not to notice the low bitrate because family subjects tend to reduce the complexity of the scene.

I have an older SD Aiptek and had been toying with returning the Jazz to get the Axction HD but I just love the size and feel of this little camera for filming the kids and it'll comfortably fit in my wife's purse. Plus if it's damaged we won't cry over it for $99 :lol:

A colleague at work just got the Action HD on my recommendation for a trip to Malaysia next year. He is currently testing it to see if it will do the job and he likes what he sees so far.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 1:29 AM   #19

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
On Windoze I find FFMPEG has similar problems with Ambarella-chip-compressed H264. The most reliable codec at this point is coreAVC, which costs money
Ummm... this seems to be a perfectly legit site, you can download it here:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/codec.htm

unless I'm wrong..
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:06 AM   #20

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
Ambarella for some unknown reasons uses B-Frames while the Jazz camera does not.
Technically, B-frames are usually used to lower the generating bitrate (at same quality level). But it needs more computing power. It is also the reason that you need to have a better PC to play Aiptek clips.
It is hard to say which strategy is better for entry-level consumer products. Quality, bitrate, cost, PC performance, color domain.... There are too many arguement about these in this forum.

There is a free tool called H264Visa. You can use it to see how many coding tools are used by Ambarella and Jazz.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote