Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 13, 2008, 5:27 PM   #1

Of the current crop, what is the thinnest/smallest decent 720p cam? I have the Action in hand but it's just too bulky for me to carry around to certain places (like in business slacks)

Prefer 60fps but beggars can't be choosers...

Thanks!
rgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2008, 5:34 PM   #2

I use both and I think the Jazz fits smaller and better in my pocket not happy with out a lens protection, but will have to bag it. the A_HD or GO-HD style just a tad bigger not much happy either way. I gave the jazz a rest so I can snap some shots with the A-HD+
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 6:14 PM   #3

I have the Jazz 178 as well and it's quite small plus it's cheap at $99. See if your local Walmart has one to try out. They don't list it online so you have to physically go visit Walmart to see which store has it, as not all of them do. It also does quite well in low light which is a plus as long as you don't expect excellent video quality of course.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 6:37 PM   #4

Any chance of getting the dimensions on that 178? Jazz thoughtfully doesn't post them

Thx!
Old May 13, 2008, 8:46 PM   #5

If Ican describe it smaller than a pack of ciggerrettes. if I had to say which is bigger. my mp3 player in its case the Insignia np4 gig

ehrn in Walmart do not walk away if out of stock ask someone b/c the store i go t ohas only one on the shelf, and that is all I ever see. I am sure they stock behind closed doors for protection of theft.

large hands as big as my index finger and as wide as my thumb sorry no box no tape measure look at this pic it is the same size as if I placed my hand next to the pic

Old May 13, 2008, 9:11 PM   #6

DXG-567V is small too. But it can't capture picture.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 9:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the pic fishy! I actually have the NSDV-4G Insignia player, but I can't imagine this thing being so tiny as that It does look small, and/or you have big hands!

Old May 14, 2008, 6:29 AM   #8

the case if I did say I have and in the leather case it is as near that size, not the player itself. I am sorry if I lead you that way.

a deck of cards, a pack of ciggs it is small the Aiptek pocket dv5300 is also a cam that is super small, but not worth the battery power.

SVP8000 series has one and looks like hte 5300 with 3x zoom but nothing will give you 720P in a super small pkg at this moment
Old May 14, 2008, 9:36 AM   #9

fishycomics,

No worries, i didn't mean to imply anything bad. I'm just thankful you posted information!

Time for me to pore over the 178 videos and decide if I like the quality. Will be hard to give up 60fps though!

Edit: That was fast ;-) The 178 videos (played in VLC on Mac) have heavy pixellation noise, even in daylight Also, sound doesn't seem to work in Quicktime or VLC... That was fun while it lasted!

Old May 14, 2008, 10:58 AM   #10

VLC doesn't play H264 from the Ambarella chip very well yet. I am using the latest daily build. Don't use VLC to compare video qualities.

On Windoze I find FFMPEG has similar problems with Ambarella-chip-compressed H264. The most reliable codec at this point is coreAVC, which costs money Here is the AVIsynth script I use so that I can still process Ambarella video through Virtualdub:
DirectShowSource(".\FILE0001.MOV")
Yes, thats it. Just one line. You save it to a .AVS file and open that file with Virtualdub (or other VfW based program).

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote