Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 23, 2008, 5:25 PM   #31

I just received my V1253.
Much less sensitive at low light. Seems to be around 1-2 f stops. At this point I have been unable to get it to "flash and click" although I have gotten it to over-correct exposure a few times. Will continue to work on figuring this out, but it is looking more and more like the new V1073 CCD is too sensitive for the lens servo control...

I note a difference in the appearance of the lens assemblies on the two cameras, too...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 7:36 AM   #32

Thought I would drop by and let you know something I found. HDV, as we may all have guessed by now, has little to do with HDV mpeg2 tape format, but there is an alternative mpeg4 related HD DVD format in Asia.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...sis/page6.html
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 11:55 AM   #33

Wayne,
The video format used by Kodak is DivX5. It is an older 'Mpeg4' format than H264, but quite capable. Their audio format is U-law, a 1974 vintage. There is no problem finding codecs for either.

The article you pointed to referred to disk formats. There are a plethora of camera formats, I have 5 different camera brands and 5 different formats. Kodak uses one of the more commonly available.

Old May 24, 2008, 5:21 PM   #34

It could well be related to the HDV mpeg4 HD disc format.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:04 PM   #35

Overexposure flash bug during indoor videos?

When I viewed the indoor HD video footage from the Kodak z1085 (download at

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XM6SO5Q7 )

I too, noticed the overexposure flashes. They appear to occur simultaneously with any short and abrupt sounds. The overexposure only occurs very briefly during the sound.

Does the same problem occur with the v1073? It shares the same sensor as the z1085.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am awaiting delivery ofthis camera but discovered this potential bug just now.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:13 PM   #36

The overexposure 'flash' is a 'bug', and is due to the extremely high sensitivity of the CCD sensor. Since I always use my V1073 for video indoors, not in sunlight, it has never been a problem for me, and is a 'feature'. But I can induce the bug by panning to an area of direct sunlight.

It is fixed with an ND2 or ND4 filter, to knock the intensity down a bit so the shutter/f-stop mechanics can handle the CCD level. These cameras are so sensitive that they are probably overloading the shutter mechanism.

I see this "bug" as a feature, as the extremely sensitive CCD allows me to take quality indoor HD video where only the Canon HV20 or HF100 at 24p is otherwise able to film.

The V1073 is about 2 f-stops more sensitive than the V1253. Sorry, I don't have a Z1085 IS.

Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:06 PM   #37

I wasn't sure I'd get much response in this topic area, so I posted some more info on the Kodak area.

I believe the overexposure "flashes" occur when there is a sharp sound - typically either from exposure adjustment by the camera or even a sharp sound coming from an external sound source (like a banging pot).

So this bug may not be good thing after all.

I'm basing my comments on footage I've downloaded and comments from others. I'll be getting my z1085 in about 3 weeks.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:35 PM   #38

You are hearing the sound of the mechanical overload of the shutter into the microphones. Trust me. I have spent a lot of time looking into this. You will find my detailed explanation around somewhere (search for V1073 on Vimeo, I think).

Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:37 PM   #39

Based on the clip I downloaded (taken from z1085), it appears that sudden loud sounds picked up by the mic (like a banging door or pot) cause brief overexposure flashes even though there is no change in brightness whatsoever when the sound occurs.

Take a careful look at the z1085 clip which can be downloaded from:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XM6SO5Q7

Pay attention to the timing of the overexposure flashes - there are several that occur in conjunction with sudden sharp sounds in the background without anybrightness changes going on.

In your scenario of quick brightness changes occurring with over exposure flashes, it may actually bethe clicking SOUND of the camera adjusting for rapid brightness changes (or the shutter's mechanical overload as you stated) that's the CAUSE of the overexposure flashes.

If this were true, it would explain why the overexposure flashes occur in two different situations with the commonality of a sharp sound being the trigger:

1.Sudden brightness changes (as you've, and others, have observed) causing a clicking souund from the shutter or other mechanism

2. Sharp sounds from the background (like door bang) without any change in brightness.

Now I don't have my z1085 camera in hand yet but my hypothesis is based on the downloaded footage and comments from others.

Are you able to test any of this with your v1073 camera with the same sensor? Perhaps this is specific to the z1085 model only.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:10 PM   #40

I don't need to listen to clips, I have extensive experience with the two V1073s I own, and a V1253, as well as a variety of other cameras. I have said what I think it is, but you don't have to agree with me. All I know is that I am getting wonderful HD footage at low Lux (normal indoor lighting) from my V1073s. That's why I bought a second.