Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 18, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Here are the movies:

http://vimeo.com/1033594
http://vimeo.com/1033633
http://vimeo.com/1033690

I believe I am the first person in the whole country (philippines) to have owned the DXG-569v, as I bought it almost immediately after it was released in the US. DXG is not a popular brand name here, but Aiptek is.

DXG works great outdoors, but you will have trouble when using it indoors under incandescent/fluorescent lights. Sound quality is good but did not impress very much.

Also included are some picture samples below:

Attached Images

pinnoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 1:40 AM   #2

The .MOV file from vimeo 1033690 shows a bitrate of 4377Kbps, a pretty low data rate, even for H264. It is roughly the same as my DXG-567V puts out.

My 567V is fixed, no setup menus are available. Can you access setup menus on your 569V?

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 1:56 AM   #3

Yes, you can access the setup menus by pressing the 3rd button on the side. Can you post some samples of the Ipod-like DXG?
Old May 19, 2008, 5:04 AM   #4

Thank you for the video moments, htey are great. the blue in the fountain seemssoft, and all in al are fine in my eyes.

great job and priceless moments
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:31 AM   #5

The bitrate is about the same as the Jazz 178/188. The videos don't look too bad although they do seem a bit more 'washed out' compared to the Jazzcams.

Considering the low bitrate, the rendering of the vegetation behind the fountain is quite acceptable especially since the subject is the fountain and the indoor scene at the wedding is not that bad either.

Perhaps both of you with the DXG cameras could post some very complex scenes such as dense vegetation etc. to test the encoding engine to the limit?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 12:16 PM   #6

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps both of you with the DXG cameras could post some very complex scenes such as dense vegetation etc. to test the encoding engine to the limit?
I can see so many "chunky pixel" defects at 4Mbps that I just haven't bothered posting a movie. I will get around to it eventually. I saw the chunkiness on the video I took on the 569 I tried at Radio Shack and on the 567 I bought. IMO, neither record single-pixel artifacts, just multi-pixel clumps.

Don't get me wrong, these DXG have their place, but I can't help thinking that until they implement 1080 resolution, like the Aiptek, they are a poor second cousin to that hybrid. Sometimes you need a low data rate, but sometimes you need a good image

Biggest problem with posting video is that I carry my new Kodak V1073 in my pocket now, not the DXG-567V. I will try and make sure both are in the car next time I go out somewhere there might be interesting footage...

Old May 19, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
The bitrate is about the same as the Jazz 178/188. The videos don't look too bad although they do seem a bit more 'washed out' compared to the Jazzcams.

Considering the low bitrate, the rendering of the vegetation behind the fountain is quite acceptable especially since the subject is the fountain and the indoor scene at the wedding is not that bad either.

The encoding engine of the DXG-569v supposedly comes from a Silicon Valley-based company named Ambrella (which is an industry-leading company).

As requested, here are more complex samples:

http://vimeo.com/1035927 - Flowing Water
http://vimeo.com/1035972 - Vegetation and Water
http://vimeo.com/1036098 - On top of a hill
http://vimeo.com/1036167 - Outside trees as seen from indoors

Old May 19, 2008, 1:49 PM   #8

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I can see so many "chunky pixel" defects at 4Mbps that I just haven't bothered posting a movie. I will get around to it eventually. I saw the chunkiness on the video I took on the 569 I tried at Radio Shack and on the 567 I bought. IMO, neither record single-pixel artifacts, just multi-pixel clumps.

Don't get me wrong, these DXG have their place, but I can't help thinking that until they implement 1080 resolution, like the Aiptek, they are a poor second cousin to that hybrid. Sometimes you need a low data rate, but sometimes you need a good image

Biggest problem with posting video is that I carry my new Kodak V1073 in my pocket now, not the DXG-567V. I will try and make sure both are in the car next time I go out somewhere there might be interesting footage...
I am guessing that we must have different thresholds of sensitivity. The last set of videos that I downloaded seemed pretty clean to me. I mean you can see blockiness in very complex scenes but overall not terrible.

By the way pinnoy2, those videos remind me of Mexico with those religious sites.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:54 PM   #9

Yes, the Philippines is a lot like Mexico when it comes to the abundance religious sites. This place is called "Hand of Jesus" and it is quite a popular tourist site in the City of Lucena. I am a bit of a traveller myself and with the DXG-569v, I can now shoot pretty decent videos and photos anywhere I go! :lol:

Battery Life: The battery life of 3 900mah aaa batteries on this will shoot 1-1.5 hours of videos including photos. I shot around 250 photos and around an hour and half of videos before the batteries died. But since the cam runs on aaa batteries, I had like 2 more sets of 3pack batteries that I carry around easily, so there was no problem with batteries. Nimh batteries are very cheap nowadays, and so easy to get.

I used an 8gb SDHC Card. :|Photos using 5M settings take around 2.0 megabytes per photo. Videos using the Highest Settings (HD) will eat about 1 megabye per two seconds. That's 30 megabytes per minute...or using the 8gb card, 4hours. To use all that you'd need some extra batteries (around 3 sets is enough).

I also carry around a photobank ($20) http://cdrking.com/local/products/in...906330-1248070
to allow me to safely transfer all my files into a harddrive before I erase my SD card. I got most of my accesories, like a gorilla tripod ($4!), SD cards, etc. from a local shop here http://www.cdrking.com. I think their prices are very low compared to other shops, but their products work fine like they should though. Most items don't even reach 20 bucks.

Conclusions:
PROS: Anyhow, I conclude that the DXG-569 is a great product, and for its price you get a winner here. The software that comes with it alone costs $99. This by the way works very fast, and it can encode/burn into a dvd 3.5 gb worth of videos in a very short time. When in DVD, the quality of the video gets a 15-20 percent boost. The 569v's video quality is far better than my 1990's mini cassette camcorder. Very handy and sexy form factor too. The ease with which you transfer videos to your pc is very convenient.

CONS: First thing i noticed is the tripod hole at the bottom is made of plastic. It should have been metal, since if you do a lot of screwing and unscrewing of tripods, its treads could get busted quite fast. Sound quality could have been better, and digital zoom is almost useless. Playback in the camera is smooth, but sound in almost non existent. The builtin speaker is very weak.

WISHLIST: 60fps, 1080p and the use of aa batteries. with aa batteries you can get as high as 2900mah which will cover maybe 2-3 hours of video recording. aaa batteries are only limited to around 900 - 1000mah. yes it will get bulkier, but I think it will be compensated by its longer performance. Better sound in playback and recording is also a feature that is surely to be appreciated.

Old May 19, 2008, 11:30 PM   #10

The 567V uses two AA batteries. Two 2000maH NiMH rechargables powered mine for about 2 hours of continuous HD video.