Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 23, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1

Hi - I just bought the camera. When I shoot in HD mode, I get vibrating images especially if I have vertical/horizontal lines in the subject. Even happens with trees, leaves, etc. It shows up on the playback and in media player, nero, etc. Increasing sharpness makes it worse. Any ideas? Could the camera be defective. When I shoot in low res (VHS etc.) the problem is greatly reduced.

Thanks for your help! Otherwise the camera is great.

Gary
video25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2008, 7:32 AM   #2

This is a forum to introduce yourself not ask questions about your camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 8:33 AM   #3

Could you post some example video to download? Has to be the original file as video and not on a site such as vimeo as the conversion may alter the effect.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 2:37 PM   #4

Welcome aboard:

as a Owner of Jazz 178/188. we RGVCAM, and I are and will be able to assist you. a video would begreatly helpful.

lines on hi def more than regular mode hmm

You have somesharpness control, that may be set to high, but I know that is not the proble, the problem is that you may expect more out of a simple unit. and you are seeing artifacts. the camera is working at the fullest.

well before I cam comment further again welcome lets see some samples load to VIMEO.com both a raw footage and flash will be displayed

thanks

video25 wrote:
Quote:
Hi - I just bought the camera. When I shoot in HD mode, I get vibrating images especially if I have vertical/horizontal lines in the subject. Even happens with trees, leaves, etc. It shows up on the playback and in media player, nero, etc. Increasing sharpness makes it worse. Any ideas? Could the camera be defective. When I shoot in low res (VHS etc.) the problem is greatly reduced.

Thanks for your help! Otherwise the camera is great.

Gary
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 9:00 PM   #5

Sorry,

This is one mistake I won't have the opportunity to make again.

The forums are great and I am happy I joined!

Gary
Old May 23, 2008, 9:11 PM   #6

Thanks, Mod Fishy

I will post an example soon. I have done more experimenting. The problem appears when I pan the 188. I tripod-mounted the camera and took some video in a park at HD, med sharpness. Video looks good unless Ipan; I thenget what could be described as "stair-stepping" of areas with contrast.Hand held panning is much worse. This behavior doesn't appear when I pan the camera without shooting. I suspect that it's an interpolation algorithm problem coupled with the limitations of the hardware. If that's the case all of these cameras should behave like mine. So, I wonder if the Jazz people have firmware updates?

I'll upload a native avi probably tomorrow.

By the way, which forum should I post to re: HDV188? I am new to posting to forums.

Thanks, Gary
Old May 23, 2008, 9:52 PM   #7

your post is perfectly fine this is your thread. you brought a excellent descusion to the table.

we talked about this in the MPVR not sure if it is fully blown out will have to review my 178's vids
Old May 24, 2008, 7:03 AM   #8

here is a clip of the 178 panning

they are the same company. only difference will be the angle the 188 is just a lil wider in filming. some may differ. we're here to see if algrathium is prssent, and it is at the windows.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHGD92OX

I have other shots and not going to dig up at the moment.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:23 AM   #9

Thanks Mod_Fishy for the video clip.

Exactly the same behavior as mine!!!! Bingo! So I think part of myhypothesis for the artifacts is correct. Here goes:

NO PANNING: much of the image from frame to frame stays the same It's like a still photorepeated 30 times per second. The 188 clearly (to me) onlyupdates the pixels that have changed between successive frames. That is why the video in HD looks good to me when I tripod mount and don't pan.

PANNING: Now, virtually every pixel changes between successive frames. Greatly increased computational load. The 188 in HD can't adequately keep up with it - thus the stair-stepping. This would also explain why in low res modes, there is less evidence of the problem. (feweroverall pixels better fit the hardware limitations of the camera).

I wonder if the Jazz people have a way of updating the firmware. For instance with the audio recorders Ederol (Roland) and Zoom, you can download updates as they improve their algorithms.The Jazzwebsite offers no contact info - but the warranty card shows a US address in New Jersey.

Thanks again guys! Maybe we can come to some operational compromise: I would guess that the best panning results in HD would be in low contrast scenes, sharpness set to lowest value, etc. What do you think??
Old May 24, 2008, 10:50 PM   #10

well today I had three cams and yep the jazz never seen daylight I used my Sanyo and aiptek forgot i had the jazz on me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"if a video is going to film w/o movement I think we still see some problems not a lot