Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 26, 2008, 8:07 PM   #1

I was just looking on Aiptek's site(european) for accessories available for the AHD Z500/Action HD, when I saw a new hybrid cams that I hadn't seen before. It's a Standard Def. cam and it's european name is Aiptek VideoSharier VS1. It looks like a regular compact still cam but it's listed under "Digital Video" so I'd gather it's primarely a "camcorder". The other new surprise is an HD hybrid called Aiptek AHD C100. Looks different in design than what I've seen before, but I cannot find any new important updates listed in the specs.

The Aiptek VideoSharier VS1:

6 - in - 1 Solution: Digital Video Camcorder, Digital Still Camera, MP3 Player, Game, Voice Recorder, Mass Storage.
Anywhere entertainment - sharing video, pictures and MP3 from card to card - No PC necessary!
  • MPEG-4 video recording up to 720 x 480 (D1) pixels[/*]
  • 5 Mega-pixels CMOS sensor[/*]
  • 3" LCD Display[/*]
  • Two SD/MMC card slots[/*]
  • Stereo speaker[/*]
  • 3 Built-in games[/*]
I think this is an excellent hybrid device for the ladies and it's main target. I like the "no pc" sharing option.

The Aiptek AHD C100:

High Definition 720p PocketDV AHD C100

- The most compact high definition camcorder
with stylish finish
- AVC (H.264) HD-DV performs 720P (16:9) high
definition video quality up to 30fps
- VGA 60fps captures fast moving subjects
without blur
- 5 Mega-pixels CMOS sensor, Max. 12 Mega-pixel
still image
- Reversible 2.4'' TFT LCD display
- Support HDTV and standard TV (HDMI and AV out)
- Night mode support while recording
in the lack of light
- Support up to 8 GB SDHC card
- Easy power charge from PC/Notebook
by USB cable or AC adapter
- Multi-solution:
Digital Video camcorder
Digital still camera
Voice recorder, WebCam

This one looks interesting but not any major tech. updates. Oh yeah it uses the .MP4 extension for h.264 compression instead of Quicktime's .MOV. From the pictures it looks like a very small and simple hybrid cam. I don't think there's any improvement on video quality. It's got HDMI out. No 720p60:sad: only VGA 60fps.

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2008, 9:23 PM   #2

looks like a design change lol and why bring a lower end model out when they already gone to a higher one?

the price would only be afew dollrs less not much

the record button has moved again and if Aiptek gets their act together rather sucker us in they can work things out by joinng rather going out on their own.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3

Maybe they are just making lots of fashion models like these companies do with SD cameras.

There is a possibility that it is improved, maybe even with a newer ambarella codec with higher bit rate.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 8:56 AM   #4

They look like they maybe more compact and nearer the size of the ISDV2 models but it's hard to get a sense of scale from just the image of the device itself.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 2:56 PM   #5

I wish Aiptek would add those 2 cent features their competitors have (like 9 functions including ebook and stack of emulated games).
Old May 27, 2008, 3:00 PM   #6

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
I wish Aiptek would add those 2 cent features their competitors have (like 9 functions including ebook and stack of emulated games).
Actually I'm glad they don't. To me they are a camcorder. I don't even care for the mp3 function to be honest.
Old May 27, 2008, 4:21 PM   #7

one step foward two steps back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

they got rid of hte mp3 hip hip now if the yadd just some extra manaul controls we be happyeir
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:31 PM   #8

rgvcam wrote:
Actually I'm glad they don't. To me they are a camcorder. I don't even care for the mp3 function to be honest.
[/quote]

Well, don't use it then. If it costs cents to add, and you had to press a button to mode switch your camera, then little would be different. We could even have more manual controls at the same time for a dollar more (or cents).

Anyway, still waiting for these other people to realise theres, to see if I can get the same quality image with the extras . Recalcitrant, I know, but this is only potentially a professional toy to me (waiting to buy that pocket 6 mpixel video camera next year).
Old May 28, 2008, 9:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Well, don't use it then. If it costs cents to add, and you had to press a button to mode switch your camera, then little would be different. We could even have more manual controls at the same time for a dollar more (or cents).
I was referring mainly to the addition of 'games'. These may not be professional cameras but I would rather they spent time adding manual controls to the firmware or tweaking the video quality than adding games.
Old May 28, 2008, 1:15 PM   #10

I found it on sale on a polish site and the video specs are bit diff. than on Aiptek's site. Now I know that u can't trust what different sellers write but it looks interesting. Instead of VGA(640x480-60fps) resolution video, this one(on polish site) has WVGA(854x480-30fps). Also it is all black. I think the picture has been photoshopped:G Maybe this is a polish modded AHD C100 version:-)

Okay running it through google trans. more indifferences come up, like 1080p resolution and then it clearly states below in specs up till 720p highest. I think lots of info got incorrect when they translated it to polish or it's written by a moron.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...l=pl&tl=en

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote