Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 27, 2008, 2:46 PM   #1

Hi all, I'm new here... hoping someone has had this problem and solved it - or at least can make some sense out of this...

I play in a band and we'd like to record cheap video of some of our gigs. So, I picked up an Aiptek A-HD+ a few days ago. The camera just feels cheap to me - I'm afraid of breaking it. I also don't like the shakiness of the video it produces. I then bought the HDV178 from Walmart to compare.

I *love* the feel of this camera. It's also really small! It looks great, works well with my Windows Vista machine at home. The problem is, I'm mainly a Mac user and envision my uses for video work on my Mac. I want to be able to import the recorded clips into iMovie or Final Cut Express to edit and create videos with them. With the Aiptek, it's a no-brainer. With the Jazz, I'm pulling my hair out. :?

I have Perian installed. I don't see much in the way of configuring it. I also have VLC installed. It can play the clips just fine. When I play the clips in MPEG Streamclip or Quicktime, I get the famous white screen with proper audio.

I'm very computer literate in general, just not a video expert... the codecs and all that stuff can become a bit overwhelming. For ease of use at this point, I may just keep the Aiptek. However I much prefer the Jazz if I could get it to work on my Mac.

Any ideas here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

JeffMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 4:25 PM   #2

first Welcome........... jefff..........

Mac caters to .MOV files correct? not avi

so google SIPER-C or any converter and stop. have you used the total Media extreme

load a sample shot in avi and save as quicktime .mov h264 done that simple.

let me know
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 4:31 PM   #3

Hey - thanks for reading and the reply...

Yes, Mac is .MOV friendly, which makes working with the Aiptek a breeze. I much prefer the Jazz camera in almost all aspects over the Aiptek - aside from this issue, and this issue is quite a large one.

I have MPEG Streamclip, which converts file formats... but I get the white screen for video when I load one of the AVIs. I've googled around and searched this board as well, following the advice to install Perian and try it - I still have no luck.

Like I mentioned... I'm no video expert, but am certainly pretty computer literate. I just get a little lost with all these codecs, etc.

I did google 'SIPER-C' and got nothing. I've never used Total Media Extreme either, are you talking about the Arcsoft package for PC?
Old May 27, 2008, 5:43 PM   #4

yes dumb me justrealized the software is for a PC that sux while the mac only has a usb file

SUPER

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

it is a converter any converter will do this they claim may have spyware. I used it works alright etc..

When I view edit etc I also get a white video at the tail end I basicaly do not worry bout it and re edit out
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 12:25 AM   #5

Okay... I tried Super, but that program just seemed hokey. That and all the comments about it being spyware, etc... kinda spooked me out.

I looked around a bit, and found a cool program for Windows called 'Magic Video Converter' - here's a link: http://www.magic-video-software.com/mvc.html

I loaded this on my Windows Vista Media Center PC, and it converted the files without a problem. I can't tell you how JAZZED I am about it!! I really like that little camera, and I think this just may be the bridge to using it... as I said before, I'm primarily a Mac user, and prefer to work on that platform. Magic Video Converter converts the AVI source files to MOV files which I can load right up - no problem! How awesome is that? I wish the extra step wasn't necessary, but I'm not too concerned about it, really.

I started looking at cameras to record live band gigs. When I get home from a gig, I can then just run the conversion before I go to bed, and it'll be ready in the morning! Excellent.

Thanks for the help - you got me searching around and I stumbled on this program.
Old May 28, 2008, 4:19 AM   #6
FLG

VisualHub bridges the gap between numerous complicated video formatting standards, and people that just want to get the job done - just what you would expect from the Mac.

If you're looking for something a little more flexible, VisualHub's up for that challenge too. An extensive Advanced panel lets you change all pre-set aspects of encoding...and then some
Features:
Fast conversion from nearly every video format to iPod, PSP, DV, DVD, Tivo, AVI, MP4, WMV, MPEG and Flash.
Convert any file in three steps. Click, drag, click.
Fit up to 18 hours of video on one DVD. Play it in any standalone DVD player.
QuickTime Pro or special plugins not required.
DivX/XviD AVIs, all forms of MPEG video, and many other formats QuickTime struggles with are supported.
Batch Processing of multiple files. Save in-place, or to a different folder.
Very comprehensive Advanced panel to modify every aspect of encoding.
Dynamic Preview - See results before beginning a long encode.
Stitch multiple files together to combine videos.
Highly detailed, informative Users Guide.
Universal Binary for PowerPC and Intel Macs.
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 2:40 PM   #7

I did use VisualHub to try it... and it drove my Macbook crazy. Insane CPU usage and fans going through the roof. Yeah, computers are supposed to work and all, but it just seemed to hammer the snot out of it, and took a long time to do its work.

Magic Video Converter on the PC gets it done quicker (my Vista PC is pretty beefy anyway) and places the files on my network drive, so it's all good for me. :-)