Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 27, 2008, 2:56 PM   #1

So I hobby of mine is to go exploring in old abandoned buildings. I figured since I'd been to this place a few times already, I'd bring my little Aiptek with me rather than taking so many pictures with my D40.

As posted in the description, footage was recorded at [email protected]. I then captured it using my WinTV PVR-150 (so down to MPEG2, 720x480). A few clips had their gamma boosted due to being so dark, but no editing otherwise. Video around 3:30 was actually from a basement where I held my flashlight beside the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7aQrdfd1HM

I must say the DVD I tried to make using this footage looks horrible. I guess all the converting from progressive to interlaced really screwed things up...

This was thrown together very quickly last night, so I'm finding lots of little flaws here and there. I may repost it later on with some minor tweaks.
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 3:20 PM   #2

Loved the footage just very annoying hearing the cam work hard with is AF wow. that Chandlier would be gone in a heart beat

and hte pool oh man were there tad poles there lol. did the flash or led was used it looked like it

I am sure youtube is okay but they always make the vid look worse lol. great job:|
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 4:20 PM   #3

Yes...that AF really intrudes in the video. It seemed to be worse the few times I used the optical zoom. Does it have some "zoom mic" or something?

As for the Chandlier...well there's a tremendous amount of stuff I'd love to take from that mansion. I'll be building a house soon and I'd work around what I could get from there

I never bothered with the LEDs. I tried night-mode once but it made no difference (at least from what I could see on the screen...) All the video is without any additonal light, except for the video around 3:30. I was in the basement of a building and held my little LED flashlight beside the camera.

Exported video is 640x480. If you use Youtube's High Quality mode, it's really no too bad. I know it's much lower than the original, but it's not too bad. Better than the DVD I made...
Old May 27, 2008, 4:20 PM   #4

WHOA... Sorry about that! I'm outside and couldn't see my clicks were actually going through.
Old May 28, 2008, 2:58 PM   #5

This is an example of the kind of shooting that would be better suited to the Aiptek A-HD+.

When using the Aiptek Action HD, one should always use a tripod. That will reduce the auto-focus noise to zero. It will also result in a razor sharp focus.

If one insists on handheld video, then the Aiptek A-HD+ -- with its fixed focus lens -- is the ticket.

I'm a tripod shooter.

So that's why I prefer the Aiptek Action HD.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 7:57 PM   #6

In sufficient lighting, I've not had problems with the AF, 'cept for the MACRO mode where it gets confused but I think that's because it tries to focus on whatever gives it the most contrast. But that's about the only time I can really recall getting frustrated with it. And I don't use a tripod with it.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 8:09 PM   #7

Just watched your vid... wow.. kinda spooky.. reminds me of the buildings in Half-Life 2!
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 9:17 PM   #8

Private Idaho - I actually wondered how the camera would do on a tripod, but so much of my shooting wouldn't be on a tripod.Should I ever find a camera that satisfies me, I'll probably make another similar exploration video. Besides that, I wanted something to film a trip I was going on soon, rather than carrying my larger Sony TRV-240...

pgomberg - Well, I'm probably being too picky, but it never seemed to work that well. I have an A-HD+ on the way, so we'll see how the fixed focus version compares. Haha, and that's not the first time I've gotten a comment like that

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...re_Shed/01.jpg(I think that's the one someone said was like Half Life 2)