Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 27, 2008, 10:52 PM   #1

Hello! I just joined and have a question. I want to get a small digicam that I can carry in my saddlebag and use while riding my horse. A lot of my friends have The Flip Ultra, they seem pleased with it.

I went to Best Buy to check it out and the salesperson told me that the Aiptek A-HD+1080P is a better digicam.

Can someone PLEASE help me out!?

What is the difference between these two units?

Pros & cons?

THANKS A BUNCH!
Raven
AKA IcePonyGoddess
IcePonyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2

welcome aboard. at the moment I need to look up the flip. but trust no sa;les person known fact

if you walk i na store and ask questions you are vulnable to be sold anything

I will not do that to you

let the videos speak for themselves. you have friends that have that cam ask them to lend it to you I am sure it has a sd card, and you got one if not a few dollars will get you one. and you can always use it on either one.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
>> I am sure it has a sd card, and you got one if not a few dollars will get you one. and you can always use it on either one.
Hi...The Flip Ultra has not SD card. It's a 2 GB digicam.
Old May 28, 2008, 6:18 AM   #4

thank you. I should have and thought I typed some other stufff oh well I do appologise

I would have t olook at one, my friend has hte rca wondercam with a sd card may be that was on my mindwhen typing

but still get the friends vids etc compare it and see which works out

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 8:54 AM   #5

Also, consider the HD Quality, Flip Lookalike DXG

http://www.dxgtechusa.com/new/products-list.php?pid=36

pinnoy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 9:00 AM   #6

The main difference between these two is that the Aiptek will have the much better quality video being high definition. Having said that, the standard definition video on the flip ultra isn't bad and it has good low light ability from what I have seen and read. It also looks to be the more robust unit to carry while horse riding. Of course you will be limited to 60 minutes of video as it does not have a removeable card but that may well be plenty for your purpose. The flip also has less features but is easier to use.

Another thing to consider is that if you have an older PC the flip video will be much easier to play back whereas the aiptek video will require a fairly recent PC.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:29 AM   #7

rgvcam wrote
Quote:
Another thing to consider is that if you have an older PC the flip video will be much easier to play back whereas the aiptek video will require a fairly recent PC.
I went to Best Buy last nite and picked up the Airpek A-HD+1080P. I did a few test clips, uploaded them to my Gateway Notebook (purchased new in 08/2007). They video and audio did NOT sync.

So, I then uploaded the clips to YouTube, the video/audio was fine on YouTube.

Why is the audio/video off when playing on my notebook? BTW...still not sure it I will keep the Aiptek or return it to the big box store. Thanks!
Old May 28, 2008, 11:42 AM   #8

IcePonyGoddess wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote
Quote:
I went to Best Buy last nite and picked up the Airpek A-HD+1080P. I did a few test clips, uploaded them to my Gateway Notebook (purchased new in 08/2007). They video and audio did NOT sync.

So, I then uploaded the clips to YouTube, the video/audio was fine on YouTube.

Why is the audio/video off when playing on my notebook? BTW...still not sure it I will keep the Aiptek or return it to the big box store. Thanks!
This is a common problem and isn't because of a fault with the camera. Your PC may just not be powerful enough to cope with the video playback which is why the sound gets out of sync. Aiptek video along with 1080p especially can be a problem. I have this problem on my Laptop even with my 720p Jazz 178 but then my Laptop is much older than yours being 4 years old and just a Pentium M 1.4 Ghz.

Have you tried the lower resolution mode of 720p/30fps to see if that plays ok on your laptop?
Old May 28, 2008, 12:23 PM   #9

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
IcePonyGoddess wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote
Have you tried the lower resolution mode of 720p/30fps to see if that plays ok on your laptop?
Do I set theresoulation on the camera? Before I shoot the clips? Yea...I'm kinda in the dark when it comes to camera/digicam stuff. HA!!
Old May 28, 2008, 3:01 PM   #10

IcePonyGoddess wrote:
Quote:
Do I set theresoulation on the camera? Before I shoot the clips? Yea...I'm kinda in the dark when it comes to camera/digicam stuff. HA!!
Yes there will be a setting in the menu to select different video resolutions. Those here who have this model would be better suited to helping you find this since I have an older Standard Definition model of Aiptek.