Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 30, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1

I still dont think there is a really good hybrid yet.i have the xacti c6 but hate the photos it takes.I just wanta camera that does video thats good enough to burned to dvd and watched on a 42 in plasma.So have digicams come along way video wise.

It would be great to just pull outa camera and have the opportunity to chose to take a good pic or take some good video or both.I think if camera companys get great pics and great video on a pocket sized device it will sell by the bucket loads.

I am surprised apple havent come out with a apple itouch with a good camera and good video cappabilities.
motty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2

The holy grail...

Have you looked at the Canon S5 IS? Of course if it's HD you are after then there is the TX1 but both use the MJPEG code so you aren't going to fit a lot of video on a card compared to the Sanyo C6.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 2:54 PM   #3

I have been also searching for Holy Grail of cameras. If price isn't limiting you and If it doesn't need to be pocket size, I would choose Casio EX-F1, but if you live in Europe there is 29 minutes limit for constant video recording time for any kind of video (STD, 720p, 1080i). For pocket size I would perhaps wait for Pentax Optio W60 which records 720p HD video (don't know about limits and audio quality). I would perhaps choose also Sanyo if it would be sold here, but it isn't. Sonys excellent harddrive/SD-card camcorders are my other recommendation, buy Sony HDR-TG3 if you need pocket size (don't except good quality in low light). But if it doesn't need to be pocket size then you should choose Sony HDR-SR12E which has 10 MP still mode also and records many hours FullHD, you may also need BluRay drive to take your backups and make HD movie discs, these are all EU models, I don't know about US models.

But if price is limiting factor for you, then I would recommend Aiptek models, they have pretty good HD video, but for best audio you need external mic modification or external audio recorder, otherwise audio is very low quality.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 8:10 PM   #4

If Apple were to put a 720p video/still camera into the iPhone and iPod Touch, it would probably shake up the camcorder industry. Apple could gain significant market share in a very short time.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 8:58 PM   #5

Apple TC474LL/A DV Camcorder

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6

Non pocket the SR12 and 11 are good, I think better than Casio. The cheaper Samsung 1080p cameras might use the same chip as the Casio but with ambarella codec and better compression.

The TX1 is going cheap at the moment, but suffers from lots of noise, and we have scene double image problem in camcorderinfo review, latitude, and I don't like the video color that much. Lets hope for much improved TX2.

The DXG 596 (I think) might have higher but rate but don't know what it is like. Digilife has new cameras, some on ebay, but limited footage does not seem fantastic, but will have to wait and see.

Aiptek is still here, and Sanyo probably is better in many areas.

Sony has pocket HD camera that is probably better than most, if not all current.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 8:35 AM   #7

Quenaelin,
The Pentax Optio W60 specs don't seem to mention video:
http://tinyurl.com/6kycwt

All:
I have both a Kodak V1253 (EIS) and a V1073 with Optical Stabilization. The 29 minute HD limit is a pain, but you can get 640x480 at 8 Mbps for 80 minutes, and that is good quality. These are great fopr me because they don't look like HD camcorders. They are less convenient than the Sanyos, but better image quality than the HD700 and at low light can outpace the HD1000.
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

I have used my Sanyo C6 to create a mass-produced DVD. You need a lot of post-production filtering, but a reasonable result is possible (but it is not as good as the Kodaks, HD700 or HD1000).

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 8:36 AM   #8

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
If Apple were to put a 720p video/still camera into the iPhone and iPod Touch, it would probably shake up the camcorder industry. Apple could gain significant market share in a very short time.

Private Idaho
I had read somewhere that Nokia are going to bring out a HD cameraphone at some point in the future. Don't know when but considering the N95 already does hybrid like VGA 30fps video, this seems the next logical step for them to supersede this model in video quality.

I suspect it will be a while before we see an ipod with HD video. After all this first iphone didn't even come with video at all and has a rather unexceptional 2MP camera. I do agree that a HD iphone would be awesome with that huge screen acting as a viewfinder and for playback :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 11:07 PM   #9

I wonder if they are going to use an ambarella chip in it. Generally, the smaller and cheaper the device the less powerful the H264 solution is going to be in it, at this stage of the cycle. A ambarella solution stands the a chance of being a better h264 solution for a small camera phone, but unless the phone is big it might be 720p30. If it is another h264 solution it might be worse quality.

I doubt the camera phone bit rate would be any higher than what is used on the AHD's 720p30 mode. A 720p25/24 mode would make much better use of bandwidth, but I doubt they would do it. But be prepared, it might even be lower bit rate.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:56 PM   #10

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Quenaelin,
The Pentax Optio W60 specs don't seem to mention video:
http://tinyurl.com/6kycwt
What? Movie: HD 720p (1280x720), it is in the specs in your link and records 75 minutes movie, but it doesn't say is it HD or STD.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote