Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 30, 2008, 9:07 PM   #1

What program (and output format) would work well for editing within Premiere?I didn't like my ActionHD becausePremiere Pro couldn't work with the .mov files straight from the camera. Well, it could, but it took hours to conform even tiny videos. Capturing the [email protected] from the video out to my WinTV yeilded rather jerky results, so that's not really an option either... Right now I've only got SUPER on my machine to convert the videos, but that program usually doesn't work too well.

I'd rather not go away from Premiere seeing as most other programs are so "kiddy" but I suppose if I must, I could switch just for editing these MPEG4 videos.

(Just FYI, I returned my ActionHD andgot a Panasonic SDR-S10. I found the picture to be much softer than even my old Sony TRV-240, so it's probably going back. Now I have an A-HD+ on the way from Best Buy...)
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 9:36 PM   #2

check out my recent post:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...62&forum_id=92
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 7:33 AM   #3

in the economy one JAZZ 178 is avi format

pro home theater are not economy Hybrids my cent
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4

I got some .mov footage from a friend that I wanted to include in a movie. The video editing program wouldn't recognize them. I did a lot of fiddling around to get them converted in a manner that retained almost all the video quality, and kept the audio in sync.

I used Arcsoft Media Converter 2, to convert them to .avi. The recipe for the output is:

Video: Mpeg4-AVI, 29.97fps; Audio: Mpeg1-L2, 128/44100

Using these settings they will be just a little larger than the originals. I can insert them in the movie project, and make some modifications to them. If I try to adjust the color/brightness, the program crashes. But then PowerDirector crashes all the time anyway.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:59 AM   #5

I've actually opted for the Jazz HDV-178 and I'm pleasently surprised. It will import to both TMPGEnc DVD author and Adobe Premiere without any file conversions. Indoor videoing and still shots leaves some to be desired, but for $100 I really can't complain.
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:38 AM   #6

I don't use Premeir, but use Sony Vegas Pro.

I took the plunge and purchased Any Video Converter which came out good in ratings.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video/

I tried several free versions of other programs and liked his the best...and it was competitively priced as well.

This site has a good side by side comparison of ten programs:

http://video-converter-software-revi...enreviews.com/

Any Video Converter came up second.

stenavpix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:37 PM   #7

It's really, really stupid that some of the Windows software makers have a difficult time with .MOV files from the Aiptek camcorder. They should. Period.

Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus *does* accept the files; but this software is unstable at times.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 chokes on the raw .MOV files; but the Sony program is far more stable with other files.

So I spent $300. ($250 for the Cineform codec and $50 for the CyberLink "HD264" codec for Windows Media Player).

With the CyerLink codec installed, I can play H.264 files in Windows Media Player.

Once you have that working, you can install the Cineform codec ($250).

The Cineform codec download includes an application called "Cineform HDLink" that converts the Aiptek .MOV files to be high definition Cineform .AVI intermediate files. These intermediate files are designed to preserve the quality of the original file while being much less CPU-intensive, which means you can edit them on weaker computers.

The good news is they are easily accepted/edited by the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 software.

The bad news is they cause the Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus software to crash and I'm pretty certain that's a fault of the Corel software.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:40 PM   #8

By the way, the Cineform "Neo HDV" codec is here:

http://www.cineform.com/products/NeoHD.htm

The CyberLink "HD264" codec is here:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/cyber...er_77_ENU.html
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:14 PM   #9

The_Other_One wrote:
Quote:
What program (and output format) would work well for editing within Premiere?I didn't like my ActionHD becausePremiere Pro couldn't work with the .mov files straight from the camera. Well, it could, but it took hours to conform even tiny videos. Capturing the [email protected] from the video out to my WinTV yeilded rather jerky results, so that's not really an option either... Right now I've only got SUPER on my machine to convert the videos, but that program usually doesn't work too well.

I'd rather not go away from Premiere seeing as most other programs are so "kiddy" but I suppose if I must, I could switch just for editing these MPEG4 videos.

(Just FYI, I returned my ActionHD andgot a Panasonic SDR-S10. I found the picture to be much softer than even my old Sony TRV-240, so it's probably going back. Now I have an A-HD+ on the way from Best Buy...)
Its hard to return back to STD from HD. I also thought buying Panasonic SDR-S10, but looking few poor quality video samples I decided to buy Aiptek A-HD 200 instead, only audio is better in Panasonic, but Aiptek has better video quality, tough Panasonic has better optics and 10x zoom, it doesn't count if you have low resolution sensor, you get smudged close range video even with best optics. Why Panasonic can't make HD camcorders with same sturdy pocket sized format as SDR-S10?! I have been using Media Coder for converting to MPEG2 and playing .MOV files.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the links to these resources.

But I have to ask why the camera vendors aren't providing this sort of thing. It's not good pr for them, or good for the health of us consuming their cameras, if we buy new models only to be severely stung when we try to use the footage in movies, or even WMP.

$40 for a codec pack? When an upgrade from PowerDirector 5 to 7 is not much more and includes H.264 support.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote