Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 30, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Edit your Aiptek MOV/MP4 files in ANY Video Editor using FREEWARE!

Ok, it seems that some people are having a really hard time editing the mov/mp4 files created by the Aiptek HD camcorders. Therefore, I have put together a tutorial on how *I* am editing them. I am editing them with free software. Works great. Also should be able to use this same method to edit the files in ANY video editing program that supports AVIs.

First, you need a directshow H264 codec installed. Here is the one I used:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/codec.htm
I just install the CoreAVC codec, and uncheck all the rest.
Personally I like this one the best because it seems to be the only one that actually decodes the 720p or D1p 60FPS at 60FPS instead of 30.

Now go here:
http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html
and download the FREE VERSION of TMPGEnc. Then install it. Now run it. Go to Option, then Environmental Settings, then the VFAPI Plug-in tab. Now uncheck all but "DirectShow Multimedia File Reader". Now click OK.

Now personally I rename my mov files to mp4, but you can also PROPERLY convert them to mp4 by using YAMB, but you don't HAVE to for this to work. I do recommend renaming them however to mp4. Now, take whatever video file you renamed to the mp4 extension and drag it onto TMPGenc.

BAM! Look at that. Opened in TMPGEnc!!!! Now click on FILE, then SAVE PROJECT and save the project file with whatever name you so desire.

Now go here:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vfapi.html
and download the "VFAPI Reader Codec + Converter"
Or just do a google search for "VFAPI Codec" and download it from one of those sites. Download the ZIP file. Extract it to a PERMANENT folder. Run the "vifpset.bat". Now run "VFAPIConvEN.exe". Drag and drop the saved project file from TMPEGnc onto this. You SHOULD be able to use the audio with this but I usually just use TMPGEnc's OUTPUT TO WAV option to save the audio and process that as a separate file. Ok, now that you've dragged and dropped the saved project file into the VFAPI Reader Codec program it should pop up a box with three things already checked. I usually uncheck Audio output, but that's up to you. For some reason VirtualDub doesn't read the audio from this correctly so that's why I use TMPGEnc to output it to a wav for processing as an independent file. Now click on OK. Now click on CONVERT. For some reason I have to click on it twice, you may have to also. It should take a second or two, or more if you want it to process the audio, maybe like 10 seconds and it will create an AVI file in the same directory your saved TMPGEnc project file was in. Now, you can just open this file in ANY program that reads AVI files This is NOT an intermediate avi file, it's actually frameserving your MP4 *through* this file! For specifics on how this works, read about it here:
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg...ader_codec.htm

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it. Now you can import it into ANY, yes, that's right, ANY program that will read AVI files. I have heard however, of people on Vista having problems with this method. I'm using XP Pro however.

There is yet ANOTHER method!! You can just download the latest version of VirtualDud
http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
then download the DirectX/Directshow plugin for it here:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic348265.html
In the root of whatever folder you extracted VirtualDub to, you must create a "Plugins32" folder, and place the input filter in there. Now BOOYAH! VirtualDub can read your mp4 files!! Of course, after you install a Directshow filter like the CoreAVC one I listed above. You can use VirtualDub also to frameserve!! Now you can have so much fun

Sometimes I resize them and convert them to H264 avi files in VirtualDub, if I'm wanting to post something to a video hosting site that doesn't do high-def. Also if I want to convert the video to HIGH QUALITY Mpeg2, I use TMPGEnc to RESIZE the video to 720*480 and set the AR to 16:9 on both input and output. I then set the frame-rate to 30fps if it's a 60fps video. Then save the project file, convert it to a "psuedo-avi" file. Then I drag the pseudo-avi file created with the converter into (not free) CCE SP and encode it there.

So.. there you have it.

You can also download the FREE program called SUPER by e-rightsoft. But for MPEG2 I think it filters out too much detail. Anyhow, if anyone has any questions, please let me know. I have spent a lot of time writing this hoping to make some people's video editing and converting much simplier and FREE
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 4:44 PM   #2

If ANYONE has any problems with this method, PLEASE let me know. One thing I forgot to mention is that when you install the COREAVC codec, you have to then configure it, after you install it a program group named CODEC will have been created for it, and go to Configure CoreAVC and under "Output formats:" make sure that ONLY I420 is checked. Otherwise when you open it in TMPGEnc it will THINK it's opened a file, but it will show you no frame, they will just be gray. At least this is what I had to do.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:41 PM   #3

pgomberg,
Even though I haven't tried your procedure yet, I want to thank you for sorting this out and going to the trouble of posting the description.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:09 PM   #4

Glad I could be of help :-)

Again, if anyone has any questions or needs help with any of this please let me know. Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:18 AM   #5

I installed VirtualDub-1.8.0, installed the plugin DShowInputDriver.vdplugin in Plugins32 directory of the VirtualDub installation directory.

I also installed CoreAVC filter, configured it. When I try to open .mp4 file I get an error stating ".....mp4" does not have a video stream. What could be the problem?
sskadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 4:04 AM   #6

Try putting a check in "PREFERRED DECODER" when configuring the COREAVC codec. Make sure ALL of the INPUT formats are checked, but only I420 for the output format. Also see if you can open the file in Media Player Classic.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...er_Classic.htm

Old Jun 18, 2008, 7:38 AM   #7

The best way to do it is like this:

1. You can use NeroVision from the Nero 8 Suite to edit your videos. It will open it without a problem.

2. Also you can convert the video to MPEG2 format using NeroVision if you want to use it with another editor. NeroVision converts the file super fast.

cinemagaze wrote:
Quote:
I've tried everything from the first method including the configuration of the codec and I get no video at all, just audio and a black screen. I've been trying to figure this out all night and it's driving me crazy.

I noticed that when I dropped the .mov file into the TMPGEnc program that therewas nothing in the video source, just audio source.So I tried to change the extension to mp4 with a program called, "CKRename". I thought I didit right because now when I put the file into TMPGEnc there is a video source and image of my video shows up in the center. I then saved the project and did the rest of the steps.

I have a feeling my problem is either the extension name or my codecs could be messed up because I looked at my codecs in the control panel and didn't see the CoreAVC codec in there.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:05 PM   #8
-J-

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
The best way to do it is like this:

1. You can use NeroVision from the Nero 8 Suite to edit your videos. It will open it without a problem.

2. Also you can convert the video to MPEG2 format using NeroVision if you want to use it with another editor. NeroVision converts the file super fast.

cinemagaze wrote:
Quote:
I've tried everything from the first method including the configuration of the codec and I get no video at all, just audio and a black screen. I've been trying to figure this out all night and it's driving me crazy.

I noticed that when I dropped the .mov file into the TMPGEnc program that therewas nothing in the video source, just audio source.So I tried to change the extension to mp4 with a program called, "CKRename". I thought I didit right because now when I put the file into TMPGEnc there is a video source and image of my video shows up in the center. I then saved the project and did the rest of the steps.

I have a feeling my problem is either the extension name or my codecs could be messed up because I looked at my codecs in the control panel and didn't see the CoreAVC codec in there.
I'm thinking of getting this - was looking around on Isohunt to give it a try but might just pay the $ and upgrade - I guess my only question is if I canjust upgrade to Nero Vision 8 to save some $

Do you know what version of Nero Vision it comes with? i.e. Nero Essentials 8 says it comes with Nero Vision 5 - not sure if the v. 8 for essentials provides whatever codecs will convert

http://www.softwareblowouts.com/ne8essu1.html

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote