Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 31, 2008, 2:53 PM   #1

can the Aiptek Action HD provide uninterrupted (by a discharged battery) usage by remaining plugged in to a power source while in use?

if not, can this cam be hacked to allow it to be functional while charging it's own battery?

besonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2008, 5:28 PM   #2

The stupid Action HD DOES charge when pluged in with or WITHOUT a battery, and YES, you CAN use it, HAVING SAID THAT.....

.... from what *I* have experience, it will crash on you after about 20 to 30 minutes of playback. It will no longer read any of your files until you power cycle it. I suspect this is because it gets too hot. Just my 2 cents.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:22 AM   #3

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
The stupid Action HD DOES charge when pluged in with or WITHOUT a battery, and YES, you CAN use it, HAVING SAID THAT.....

.... from what *I* have experience, it will crash on you after about 20 to 30 minutes of playback. It will no longer read any of your files until you power cycle it. I suspect this is because it gets too hot. Just my 2 cents.
has anyone else experienced this problem? and am i understanding correctly that this problem occurs whether or not the battery is installed?

Old Jun 1, 2008, 2:41 PM   #4

Yes, even if the battery is NOT installed, go figure. Hence my "Stupid Action HD" comment.

It has a symbol of a battery that comes up on the display with the charging symbol on it, reGARDLESS of whether or not it's installed.

Do you have an Action HD yet? If so, have you not experienced this problem or?... maybe mine is defective? This is my SECOND one however. Personally I think these things are prone to overheating. Or more specifically, I think the errors I've expericence with these are due to overheating. Once I was recording at 1080p for about an hour in about 20 or 30 min incriments, it was a HOT day out, over 100, and I was recording outdoors. Then after about an hour of recording the image started going corrupt on me. I downsized to 720p and it looked ok, until I got it home and there are some strange lines in the upper right hand area of the frames. Some type of image video corruption.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:28 PM   #5

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Yes, even if the battery is NOT installed, go figure. Hence my "Stupid Action HD" comment.

It has a symbol of a battery that comes up on the display with the charging symbol on it, reGARDLESS of whether or not it's installed.

Do you have an Action HD yet?
i had one but had to return it because the auto-focus quit working and walmart didn't have any stock so i didn't get a replacement. probably later this week i'll call the other local walmarts to find one with the Action HD in stock so i can re-purchase it.

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
If so, have you not experienced this problem or?... maybe mine is defective?
i didn't get a chance to run this test before i returned my first unit. i'll definitely run this test after i buy it again. it would be great if some other Action HD owners also ran this test so we could gather a good amount of empirical data.

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
This is my SECOND one however. Personally I think these things are prone to overheating. Or more specifically, I think the errors I've expericence with these are due to overheating.
have you attempted to test your theory by running the Action HD for an extended period of time in an environment with a low ambient temperature?

-- david

Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #6

I just got my Aiptek Action HD from Walmart.com last night. I started charging my battery and left it charging overnight (the quick start guide mentions 3 hours, while the manual mentions 8 hrs). When I disconnected the USB cable this morning and tried to power on the Cam, it doesnt work. Nothing. I tried pressing the power button for about 10 seconds and it still doesnt power on. Have any of you guys had the same problem? Any ideas on what's going on with this cam?

Thanks,

Kal.
frodobalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:25 PM   #7

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Do you have an Action HD yet? If so, have you not experienced this problem or?... maybe mine is defective? This is my SECOND one however. Personally I think these things are prone to overheating.
i picked up another Action HD. i ran this unit plugged in (both with and without a battery installed) and recorded video for over three hours. this unit never overheated and never quit.

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Or more specifically, I think the errors I've expericence with these are due to overheating. Once I was recording at 1080p for about an hour in about 20 or 30 min incriments, it was a HOT day out, over 100, and I was recording outdoors. Then after about an hour of recording the image started going corrupt on me.
i don't see any operating temperature range in the Action HD's specs. but i do know that most anything can overheat.

i'm not surprised that your Action HD had problems when you used it for an extended period in 100+ degree heat.

so for the record, it does seem possible to use the Action HD while it is plugged into it's battery charger (contrary to what i've read elsewhere). thus allowing for extended unattended recording.