Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:48 PM   #11

I got the Flip Mino today!

My impression? Better than I expected! I was able to shoot a video then send a "muvee" show in just a few minutes!

Quality of the packaging is almost as good as my iPhone.

Quality of the hardware is superb. No screws showing, shiny black, very elegant.

Quality of the movie is better than my expectations. Both video AND sound.

Software is a breeze to use. Nice interface, I had NO problems encountered. Very stable on my Vista-powered Asus laptop.

The touch-sensitive buttons is very nice. I don't know why some people complain about it but I do not have any problems with mine. The layout of the buttons is a no brainer. They are were they should be.

No lag in use. I thought I will have a hard time with the small 1.5" screen but I was proven wrong! It is sufficient for my eyes.

I can't think of anything to improve on it as it is at the moment.

I will post a test video tomorrow.

psilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:00 PM   #12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1n79tHHvBI
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:35 PM   #13

great to see both the cam and a sample. no matter what you have like that sweet cam this wil do JUST FINE.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:03 PM   #14

The video straight from the camera is way better. Unfortunately, youtube compresses the video a tad too much.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:55 AM   #15

that's why I use the HD models and format in a wmv format, to gt the best vieable pic for youtube

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 8:50 AM   #16

psilver wrote:
Quote:
I got the Flip Mino today!

My impression? Better than I expected! I was able to shoot a video then send a "muvee" show in just a few minutes!

Quality of the packaging is almost as good as my iPhone.

Quality of the hardware is superb. No screws showing, shiny black, very elegant.

Quality of the movie is better than my expectations. Both video AND sound.

Software is a breeze to use. Nice interface, I had NO problems encountered. Very stable on my Vista-powered Asus laptop.

The touch-sensitive buttons is very nice. I don't know why some people complain about it but I do not have any problems with mine. The layout of the buttons is a no brainer. They are were they should be.

No lag in use. I thought I will have a hard time with the small 1.5" screen but I was proven wrong! It is sufficient for my eyes.

I can't think of anything to improve on it as it is at the moment.

I will post a test video tomorrow.
This is a case where sometimes you just have to try it out yourself rather than trust the review. It seems to me with the sound issue they had to find SOMETHING that was different. Perhaps the sound is a tad better on the ultra but in the real world, the differences often don't matter to the average person.

How about an outdoor test with vegetation :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:57 AM   #17

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
psilver wrote: This is a case where sometimes you just have to try it out yourself rather than trust the review. It seems to me with the sound issue they had to find SOMETHING that was different. Perhaps the sound is a tad better on the ultra but in the real world, the differences often don't matter to the average person.

How about an outdoor test with vegetation :G
That is the problem, you can't just buy a product to test anymore ( is it?). Some vendors will charge 15% restocking fee. What about those products on bubble blisters that is hard to open? I wonder if you can return one that is opened? I would love to test different models but I don't want to be stuck with a certain product.

Reviews are good BUT you definitely need to take them with a huge chunk of salt as they are, of course, varies to individual preference.

Bottom line is, I did not encounter any audio sync errors or any kind of error. The software is stable and works smoothly.

If I could offer any suggestion, In the software, I wish they allow the user to vary the compression of the video. The settings right now is a compromise between the size of the video and quality but some (like me) may find it a bit too much and see lost details. In my opinion, even other competitor devices like this almost have the same quality in conversion (to YouTube anyway).

In the real world testing though, if I send this to my son, he won't even notice anything wrong with it, just happy to see a video I sent to him!

Again, the Flip Mino is well made and stable.

Here are some videos I took recently. The original uncompressed video is, of course, much better. Color and dynamic range seems to be affected by the compression.

Outdoor full sunlight inside the car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVqvB2LE7ZE

Outdoor Vegetation - Zoom trial...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkB0AsojXY

Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:31 AM   #18

What you say is all true.

Actually I have returned stuff that was in blister packs. Yes testing can be a problem although I can see why stores charge restocking fee for items such as cameras etc. Too many people abusing this for one off events I guess.

From what I understand the video compression on the flip is about 4Mbps which is almost the same as my Jazz HD camera! That is actually higher than my Standard Definition Aipteks and the Sanyos. They all tend to record between 2.5 to 3Mbps. The reason they choose what may seem quite a low bitrate on these cameras is to make handling the files easier on those who may not have the latest hardware and also it allows them to use less powerful chips to keep the price down. These devices tend to be used mainly for family video where the details are not important. Most people won't be able to see the difference in the video quality between these devices and the more expensive ones once transferred to DVD etc. Even a good quality Video CD which has a MUCH lower bitrate can look quite decent on a TV if done right.

I was looking through my video file collection on my external hard drive and enjoying the video clips which I had taken with various solid state camcorders and thinking how a lot would never had been taken had I just bought a more expensive camcorder. With cheaper devices you are not afraid to stand in the middle of the water on the beach for one
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:50 AM   #19

Anyone got the vado? After catching the review at http://www.techradar.com/products/ca...-398768/reviewIdecide toget thepink vado partly because it's more affordable. It's slim enough to fit into my pocket without any hindrance, fit comfortable in my hand too, nice size! What's really nice to see is the screen size of 2inch which I found is wider than other flip video cams that's why i choose the vado.. video viewing is somuch nicer formy eyes
destinny is offline   Reply With Quote