Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Hi I just sold my Canon Dc20 and im looking at the Sanyo Xacti HD700, HDA ( not sure what the diffrence between HD1a and HD1 is ) and HD2

on ebay i can get any one of those for under 270 used, i seen an HD1a go for liek 140 total with shipping

now im not super pro user im just gonna be recording youtube videos, recording parkour, flips , dance, etc and everyday land scape scenery...now i no the hd700 has smaller lens so would that make qaulity lower?

and does the hd700 have mic input??

lol so what one should i get if i want best qaulity for hd recording, HD1 or Hd700 or Hd2???

let me k now please

bigboy_245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:09 AM   #2

I read from Sanyo forum that Sanyo HD700 does NOT have mic input, there is wrong info in manual. Sanyo HD700 makes MPEG4 H.264 and HD1/HD2 records MPEG4 older codec (I am not sure is it H.263), some say H.264 is better even it is more compressed, but you have judge yourself from test videos. Download and look through all test videos you can and then make your choice. Small lens and sensor makes light sensitivity always lower. I have tought excactly same questions, should I buy Sanyo from abroad or not, but it is too expensive camera for that and I don't want to deal with post office or delivery services, I don't want to buy anything until I see it, but that is just me.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:13 AM   #3

I own the sanyo hd700 why

at winter time the cam sold for 600 plus, that'swhy. the price igot and everyone else at 270-300.00 whata steal, reason why it was that low. christmas time promotion defect in lott you name it.

the cam is excellent so many features you'll just set it AUTO and film. the manual is correct, and will have mistakes like mentioned Mic cable included b/c they'll substitute ou t thefirst few pages for other models.

CCD smaller sensor I do not care for causes light smear like a star trek beam when ever pointing to a light source.

others will have a excellent midnigh video andothers will not at all, we all complain we all want perfection, we all cannot have our way.

theHD1 HD2 or different models they say Hi def I am sure they are H264 codec andhave add'l items like flash boot etc those are my guesses as you can truely view sanyo's sit for the info.

Samples are best to load from the sanyo section and even at vimeo.com

your questions may be in that thread by cal........ 59 plus pages of repetitive question and answers.

if I were going to get a cam that you mention I would get the sanyo Hd700 for the price but I would not pay more that its worth.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:13 AM   #4

The HD1 and HD2 doesn't use h.264 but standard mpeg4 as Quenaelin stated. The HD2 had improved lower light levels over the HD1a, but it's still not great, also the HD700 low light is pretty poor infact the cg65 does a better job in my view. Vimeo has a comparison between the hd700 and the hd1 see. http://www.vimeo.com/user407571/videos
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:41 AM   #5

so what woudl you reccomend the hd1 or hd700 and cant i buy one of those light a ttachtment leds or are those bs
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:45 AM   #6

yeah i seen the hd700 for 270 or under on ebay

and the hd1 for like 160ish max

but the bummer is it has no mic input

so you would say the hd700 has the better hd video?

Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:50 AM   #7

Going by the comparisons on the vimeo site it looks like the hd700 has better picture quality but the hd1 has mic in, 10x optical zoom. Only you can decide which one to go for, also the hd700 is alot smaller, easier to carry in a trouser pocket (I think the yanks use the word pants for trousers).
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:52 AM   #8

man this is so tough lol, well is mic input realy needed? also is thier any way u can add it on hd700 with some mods?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:27 AM   #9

herbs wrote:
Quote:
The HD1 and HD2 doesn't use h.264 but standard mpeg4 as Quenaelin stated. The HD2 had improved lower light levels over the HD1a, but it's still not great, also the HD700 low light is pretty poor infact the cg65 does a better job in my view. Vimeo has a comparison between the hd700 and the hd1 see. http://www.vimeo.com/user407571/videos
Judging from this comparison, HD700 has better low light sensitivity, even though it looks more grainy and HD700 has better stabilizer.

Mic input isn't needed if you are satisfied with internal mic. Modding external mic is maybe possible but it is going to be tricky becouse mics are mounted to LCD screen, you have to know which wires are for internal microphone. You can always use externel audio recorder and mix it later if you want hi-fi quality audio.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:19 PM   #10

do not forget the cam has a lens barrel defect.

the HD700 is a mighty fine device, and will fit in a Tee-shirt pocket but do not bend over.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote