Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:04 AM   #11

Wayne, here are 4 sequential farmes. Note that the bottom of the frame is being displaced sideways. This is an artifact in the Sanyo compressor chip. I have seen it fairly often, usually not as clear as this. This is a 1280x720 image scaled to 50%, so we are dealing with a huge chunk of pixels being moved around.

Attached Images

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:29 AM   #12

Thanks.

Could you do a non key frame done in lossless PNG individually to avoid errors being obscured by Jpeg image loss?

If the image was moved quickly sideways, what we may see here, might be caused by rolling shutter or IS artifact. Is this the vertical line problem you were referring to?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:32 AM   #13

You can see there was no panning going on. There are 4 successive frames overlaid here to form a composite JPG that I could upload. The individual frames were extracted using AVIsynth and Virtualdub.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:56 AM   #14

So it is the vertical problem, thanks.

I meant camera shake rather than panning. Still, I think that rolling shutter is too much with what I have seen.

You might be able to clip out a PNG that can fit, Jpeg can loss quality by definition.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:36 PM   #15

It could be the stabilizer, but whatever it is, I judged it unacceptable. I have seen it a lot on random shots, but until I went in frame by frame with Virtualdub it was hard to put my finger on it.

I am using the optical stabilizers of the Canon HF100 and Kodak V1073 at the moment, and they are great :-)

Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:46 PM   #16

I agree with you, it is not very acceptable.