Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...010/index.html

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2

Greetings Private Idaho:

Now that is what I call an excellent find, very good work.

So it seems Sanyo has improved upon its HD 1000 model, thank God.

Now for this new model called VPC-1010 to become popular, if Sanyo can begin
pricing it below $700.00US, then it will be a winner.

Can't wait to see the first videos come out from this camcorder.

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 2:06 PM   #3

Lets hope they have fixed up that chromatic aberration, 720p50 in pal markets, better noise, latitude, and higher data rate (now to look at the specs and be disappointed).

But really, the HD1000 seemed to be a good camera effort, apart from that lens chromatic flare like thing I saw previously. But now the low end cameras are so good, it needs to be closer to the new Samsung in performance.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 2:53 PM   #4

I see it has a 300fps slow motion mode which is a useful addition to an already good camera.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:56 PM   #5

There is a sample video at 720p 9Mbps SD-SHQ 30fps at the AkihabaraNews site
http://88.191.20.67/video/akiba/xacti-hd1010.zip

Their full article is at URL:
http://tinyurl.com/67kewl

I am not impressed with the stabilizer, maybe it is a problem with them taking a video through a window. Resolution is a super 720p. I expect the 1080p on this camera to be really sharp.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:00 AM   #6

In another 6 month I expect another update or another model (remember HD1, HD1a, HD2). When they can start doing 1080p50 at 18mb/s+ then we are really talking.

Looking through this site:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...080606/152970/

The new extra wide dynamic range applies to stills, pity, this is one area that would have benefited.

The improved compression involves motion, so luckily it is video, thanks. This is nothing I would not expect the Ambarella team (people in that company have advanced background with prior ventures, and profiled the h264 compression considerations before starting design) but that is around 9mb/s on top Aiptek's we have seen. The Samsung though uses the chip at similar bit-rates, and maybe the same sensor as in the Casio, so I would like to know if Sanyo can really pull off this more advanced performance compared to that and the new Sony Pocket camera).

if you know history of people there, there is deep knowledge

the price quoted: "¥120,000 (US$1,132)".

I know of only one consumer cmos chip at 4mpixel, the altasens altachrome. It is used in the Toshiba 1080i gigashot camera, and the German (slashcam or something like that) review I saw had some peculiar interpolation like patterns on them. I wonder if I have seen these on Sanyo footage, and if it is the Altrachrome, but it is hard to remember.

If the samples are anything to go by, to me, the improved compression makes it not worth buying a HD1000 instead anymore.

The camera still needs one to two more iterations though (wider latitude, better low lowlight, improved 1080i resolution, higher bit rate (24mb/s+ preferable, even 36mb/s). The images I have seen from the Sony SR12, set the standard in some ways for the low end of the market.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 9:21 PM   #7

Wayne,
I have some video from the HD1000 showing compression errors (discontinuous vertical edges). That was one of the final straws which caiused me to return the HD1000, and concentrate on using the Kodak (which uses the proven DivX5) and the Canon (AVCHD).

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:43 AM   #8

Have you got an link to the footage, be interested in accessing the effect you talk about. The sample frames given at Sanyo appear to give a clear frame.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:18 AM   #9

Is AVCHD just a brand name for h264 or does it actually have some minor differences?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:47 AM   #10

Info on the AVCHD standard is at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD
the container used is a transport stream