Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:52 PM   #1

Guys, I'm very new to video editing software and after many hours of searching and reading, I'm still not getting a few things. I've got the A-HD+ which makes .mov h.264 video files. VideoLAN will play the files perfectly on my machine, but I want to edit the files. I've read that I can convertthem to .avi with MP4CAM2AVI and then use Windows Movie Maker, but I'm having problems making it work. I've converted one file to .avi, but WMP will not play it, and WMM will not play it. I've also read about FFDSHOW, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with it.

Can someone walk me through the process of changing the .mov file to .avi and making it playable in WMP and WMM?

Also, one question about the download page for MP4CAM2AVI. There are two different things there. What is the "source code" and what do I need to do with it? I've got the first thing downloaded and I can open the program and I was able to convert the .MOV file. I have the "source code" unziped to a different folder, but I don't know what it's for.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=123082
KurtC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:40 PM   #2

To decode (play) the Aiptek HD .MOV format files, you need an H.264 decoder on your computer.

To find out if such a decoder is working properly on your computer, you might download the free Microsoft "GraphEdit" program.

I use it all the time.

You just double click on the GraphEdit icon, after you download the program.

Then you should see the GraphEdit interface, which includes a big empty window where you drag and drop your Aiptek .MOV file.

After you drag and drop your Aiptek .MOV file into the window, you should see a rectangle, which symbolizes your Aiptek file.

From the rectangle, you should see a flow chart.

The flow chart tells you which decoders on your system "see" the Aiptek file.

On my Windows computer, the Aiptek rectangle links to a second rectangle, which is labeled as the "CyberLink MPEG-4 Splitter."

From the "CyberLink MPEG-4 Splitter" rectangle, another link is made to two additional rectangles:

1. The CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (HD264)
2. The CyberLink Audio Decoder

This information tells me that -- on my system -- my $40 CyberLink "HD264 Pack" for Windows Media Player is working correctly because the CyberLink H.264 video and audio decoders, according to the GraphEdit diagram, are being activated.

To confirm, I simply open an Aiptek .MOV file in Windows Media Player and -- Voila! -- it plays successfully.

If the .MOV format H.264 file plays successfully in Windows Media Player, then you've won the battle. That fact makes it possible to convert the .MOV format to another format successfully.

This is the key QUESTION:

Does it play in Windows Media Player? That's how I know my Cineform "HDLink" software will successfully convert to Cineform .AVI files. Now, my Cineform software costs $250. But you might be able to download something free (such as Huffy) and use that to do the conversion to .AVI.

Hope this "GraphEdit" tip works for you.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:43 PM   #3

By the way, the free Microsoft "GraphEdit" program can be downloaded here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GraphEdit

You can even see the sample screen shot at this link.

Private Idaho
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4

I forgot to mention something.

Let's suppose you already know that you have an H.264 decoder on your system that should properly decode your Aiptek .MOV file.

Then you drag and drop the Aiptek .MOV file into the GraphEdit window and you discover that the resulting diagram suggests that the wrong decoder is being activated.

In that case, you may need to adjust the "priority" of your H.264 decoder to be higher so that your computer (Windows) will actually use it.

To adjust your codec priority, you can use another free tool called "DirectShow Filter Manager" available as a free download from:

http://www.softella.com

The "DirectShow Filter Manager" program features a slider that you can adjust upward to give higher priority to any codec you choose.

Hope this is helpful.

Private Idaho
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:44 PM   #5

KurtC, if VideoLan is playing back okay then why not have it do a conversion to something like MPEG-2 which you can edit elsewhere? I'm not sure what you're trying to create but for simple things the version of Total Media Extreme that comes with the camera works well and if you look around in it you'll notice you can change bitrates, etc. With VLC you run it and have it open a file from the menu and you will see a stream/save button where you can have the program output to different file formats. In the bitrate you can type in a bitrate as you are not stuck with what they give you.
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:51 PM   #6

For about $100 you can buy Adobe Premiere Elements, and it says it can edit H.264, as well as Quicktime Mov as well as MPEG4.
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:54 PM   #7

Try ffdshow (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=53761&package_id=48261& amp;release_id=95213). Install it and try to play the .mov file in WMP. If it'll play there, it should work in Windows Movie Maker.. unless you're trying to import high def footage in the XP's version. HD is only supported in Vista's WMM.

You can also try YAMB (http://yamb.unite-video.com/download.html) to switch the container to .avi.
I've had better results using the .avi YAMB produces when importing into Sony Vegas. When switching the container to .avi with MP4CAM2AVI, Sony Vegas still crashed once in a while.
It doesn't re-encode the video so there's no loss of quality. It simply repackages the video and audio into an .avi container.

The only editor I've used that you could drag & drop Aiptek's files straight into the editor with no trouble is Magix Movie Edit Pro.
For some reason, the included ArcSoft Total Media Extreme causes a blue screen on my Media Center desktop.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:02 PM   #8

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Private Idaho, I got that program and tried it out, although I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

This is with a .mov file directly from the camera. It plays perfectly with VLC Media Player. They will not play in WMP.

This is an avi output fromArcsoft Total Media Extreme. These will play in WMP. Size went from 25Mb to 980Mb!

This is from the avi file generated by MP4CAM2AVI. It will not play in WMP. When I try to open it, my computer gets angry. explorer.exe will go to 99% and I have to stop it and start it again. Same thing happens when I drag the file to the Graph Edit program.

Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:14 PM   #9

The file that Arcsoft TME made took a long time to produce. About 5 minutes. It took a 25Mb .movfile and converted it to 980Mb avi file. Will YAMB do the same thing, or is it quicker?

I haven't used Windows Movie Maker. Is it similar or better than the Arcsoft program?

At this link

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=123082

There are two downloads. For the second, the notes say

VERSION 2.71
* MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) support for new Sanyo CG65, Casio EX-V7 and Aiptek GO-HD cams,
target avi clips are playable with WMP and editable with VirtualDub,
latest FFDShow required (tested on rev1193-20070522_xxl),
see manual for details;
* BugFix: IMA ADPCM audio support for Casio EX-V7;
* BugFix: video support for Kodak C533 and maybe some other Kodak's;
* BugFix: MP2 audio in 'Source audio' mode
* Improved frame seeking for internal preview;
* Some optimizations for internal MJPEG decoder;

It looks like I need to use this download in order to make and avi file from my Aiptek camera. I am very clueless here and don't see how to use it. In the first download, I get the MP4CAM2AVI.exe program, but in the second download, I don't see any instructions on what to do. Please help!

I appreciate all the suggestions and help guys!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:27 PM   #10

YAMB is basically a demuxer. It doesn't do any encoding. I rarely play anything using Windows Media Player. Why exactly do you want an AVI file? A lot of editors will also handle MPEG-2 files these days. VLC will do a recode to MPEG-2 fairly fast. One of the funny things (Private will get a kick out of this) that happened after TME was installed was that MSP 7.0 will open an Aiptek file but it messes up the encode to MPEG-2. Before TME was installed it just crashed. As we can see from the Graph Edit displays the TME Direct Show DLLs are available to any program.

FYI, setting up Graph Edit to do a recode is tricky and usually takes a bit of trial and error. Check out some of the other posts around here. Early on when the first Aiptek HD cameras generated pretty weird QT files folks here experimented with different recoding methods. I had some success with Mencoder and posted some scripts for it. Finally on their update Ulead fixed VS 11+ to handle the Aiptek MOV files properly. Which is what I use. Nero Vision in Nero 7 worked and then they broke it again in 8. :roll:

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote