Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

View Poll Results: What feature would you want to see on a New Aiptek?
True Full HD (1920 X 1080) 1 9.09%
More Manual Controls 3 27.27%
5X or 10X Optical Zoom 3 27.27%
Microphone input connection 2 18.18%
Better Optical Lens, F 2.8, or F 1.8 2 18.18%
Longer battery life 0 0%
Iphone connection 0 0%
mini LCD projection device 0 0%
Wifi 0 0%
Anti Theft feature 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:25 PM   #11

Not all these requests can be solved by Aiptek or Jazz which are system house only. Sensor, lens, and DSP vendors are the key.

sensor: you may check micron and OV.
lens: I have no idea.
DSP: you may check Ambarella and Zoran.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:29 PM   #12

I agree, voting on multiple options would be good. I just changed the 37% vote for manual controls to 37% for microphone by voting again .

Here are my votes, with a few new options grouped from highest to lowest by desirable quality/practicality:

1. More Manual Controls that can be turned on
2. Lower light, less noise, more latitude.
----

Retain extreme close macro of centimeters
but add:
3. Better Optical Lens, F 2.8, or F 1.8 (lower light)
4. X or 10X Optical Zoom
5. Microphone input connection
----

6. Live HDMI output before compression stage and without icons etc for live monitoring through external LCD or recording via Intensity PRO or cineform HDMI recorder/monitor (personally this is my number 1 or 3 but not as practical to other users).
----

7. Have highest quality mode in each resolution/frame rate use the same max data-rate for extra quality.
8. 14-18mb/s plus data-rate modes.
9. True Full HD (1920 X 1080)
----

10. Anti Theft feature (expensive, but finger print recognition that tells people to return to user entered address if lost and they try to operate).
11. Longer battery life
----

12. mini LCD projection device
+ All that groovy extra software like digilife throws into their cameras like games and also Java (but still with same high quality ambarella codec that Aiptek uses).
----

13. Wifi
14. Iphone connection
----

+ Sanyo dwarfing performance. Non interlace, but with performance as good as Sony Sr11/12 sensor.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 5:42 PM   #13

for me it would have to be some kind of image stabilisation and 60 fps, if these cameras had that, they would atract novice video enthusiasts who instead gravitate to mini dvd or digital tape. jerky video is the down point of these cameras.
VitaminC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:02 PM   #14

I would definitely like to see more manual control options - Such as locking the AF, turn off LCD but keep on recording option. This are probably just firmware issue, I wonder if there is an easy way to patch the Action HD to do that?

Image stablization would be great, didn't one of the older model has a digital IS?

Here is a list of manual settings I would like to see:
Shutter speed
Time laps
Turning AF on/off

Also I don't see why Aiptek can't include an external mic. The AV in/out already supports audio in, even though that is only when used as aTVR, but the hardware/functionality is there. Maybe this could be done through a firmware upgrade too?
BoxerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:37 AM   #15

Now that I have played around with the camera for a week there is one more thing I would like to see - They need to fix how the file names are generated. As of now the file name get reset to FILE0001 evertime I moved the files over to my computer. That means I have to either create a new folder or rename the files to work.

On a side note, how come the Action HD can't play MP3's anymore? It is a nice little feature.
BoxerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:42 AM   #16

alwaysshoot a vid at the end about 3 secs and leave in do not delete then the file025 will be in the next clip will be file0025

BoxerFreak wrote:
Quote:
Now that I have played around with the camera for a week there is one more thing I would like to see - They need to fix how the file names are generated. As of now the file name get reset to FILE0001 evertime I moved the files over to my computer. That means I have to either create a new folder or rename the files to work.

On a side note, how come the Action HD can't play MP3's anymore? It is a nice little feature.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:40 PM   #17

One feature I saw on the new Sanyo HD800 that would be nice on the Aiptek hybrids would be the ability to shoot digital stills *and* without pausing the video. Of course I don't think we'll see that anytime soon, after all, while Sanyo have always had the ability to take still images while shooting video, even they had to pause it to do so until now. Aiptek of course have yet to be able to even shoot stills while shooting video!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:08 PM   #18

something our software programs do,

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
One feature I saw on the new Sanyo HD800 that would be nice on the Aiptek hybrids would be the ability to shoot digital stills *and* without pausing the video. Of course I don't think we'll see that anytime soon, after all, while Sanyo have always had the ability to take still images while shooting video, even they had to pause it to do so until now. Aiptek of course have yet to be able to even shoot stills while shooting video!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 4:32 PM   #19

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
something our software programs do,

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Well not quite, you can only capture a still up to the resolution of the video. Of course with Full HD that would be perfectly acceptable for most situations since you're effectively getting a 2MP still, but the ability to capture a full 5MP image now and then without pausing video would be nice.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:39 PM   #20

I owned a previous generation of Aiptek camcorder (Aiptek Zoom, which looks like the Action HD)) and I recall that you could take stills while recording a clip.
voyeurtp is offline   Reply With Quote