Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:24 PM   #31

To view a video contained in an uncomplete rar, try using Dziobas Rar Player

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the video too. Though I have trouble with .rar archive files because you have to download the whole file before you can view any of it (no broadband here). You know that you do not need .rar anyway it wont compress much over the existing h264 compression (and I have find a decompresser to view the .rar file).
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:46 PM   #32

Man that rolling shutter looks bad. Can't tell much (except there is some big general artifact near the end of the clip, to the right).

Is it possible to have a short 720p60 clip (unarchived with rar) of a horrendously bright sunny and contrasty (lots of shade shadows) midday scene, with some movement? A busy but shady urban/city street would be good.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:49 PM   #33

By the way, where did you get that footage from? The archived file is dated 30-05-08?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:36 PM   #34

I would suggest anyone who watches this test vid not to use Quicktime Player .. it is really bad at HD playback even on my Quad Core 2x ATI HD3870 .. it seems to PLAY at an average of 18-20fps (using movie inspector in the quick time menu) and chops up like a PC game with V-Sync off and you get a weird sort of skew/chop effect..

If I play the same video file on the included Arcsoft Digital Theater it plays bang on 30fps and has no chop/skew..

I still get some chop on both apps with an Athlon XP3700 and X1900XTX but thats just bandwidth limitation playing back a 1920x1080p file.. if I drop it down to WMV it's smooth and pans smoothly.

Also the artifacts appear to be in QT Player rather than the vid..
here's a comparison grab from both players. (Arcsoft left, QuickTime on the right)

Wowcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:43 PM   #35

I saw the video well. It is a dove walking in the street nearly a car. In these days I will see if I can raise more clips in different resolutions. This week all days are cloudy, I do my best.

Greetings

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Man that rolling shutter looks bad. Can't tell much (except there is some big general artifact near the end of the clip, to the right).

Is it possible to have a short 720p60 clip (unarchived with rar) of a horrendously bright sunny and contrasty (lots of shade shadows) midday scene, with some movement? A busy but shady urban/city street would be good.
maxxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:46 PM   #36

I made the clip with my cam. It was recorded 30--06-2008. I dont know why the 30-05-2008 date appears.

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
By the way, where did you get that footage from? The archived file is dated 30-05-08?
maxxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:07 AM   #37

There is a major hassle with media players, that people don't realise. That some players (and even graphics cards) attempt to fix up things like jagged edges, macro blocking and other artifacts. It could be QT, or it could be the other one.

All these incompatibilities on what is supposed to be a "standard" make h264 a failure as far as I am concerned. They need to at least have one adjustable file formating scheme for h264 that records the format details, and a adjustable standard sound stream that records the format details, and additional data streams that record their format details. Then any new camera's footage could be interpreted by old programs.

Wowcow wrote:
Quote:
I would suggest anyone who watches this test vid not to use Quicktime Player .. it is really bad at HD playback even on my Quad Core 2x ATI HD3870 .. it seems to PLAY at an average of 18-20fps (using movie inspector in the quick time menu) and chops up like a PC game with V-Sync off and you get a weird sort of skew/chop effect..

If I play the same video file on the included Arcsoft Digital Theater it plays bang on 30fps and has no chop/skew..

I still get some chop on both apps with an Athlon XP3700 and X1900XTX but thats just bandwidth limitation playing back a 1920x1080p file.. if I drop it down to WMV it's smooth and pans smoothly.

Also the artifacts appear to be in QT Player rather than the vid..
here's a comparison grab from both players. (Arcsoft left, QuickTime on the right)

Old Oct 4, 2008, 6:58 AM   #38

Hello. I am new in this forum. Thanks for this opportunity to share information.
I have recently bought this camera. I am enough satisfied as I had not great expections. My first impression about video are:
- acceptable quality for well lighted situations (outdoor, daylight)
- very poor quality for dark situation (or indoor with artificial lights)
I switched from 1080p to 720p without any evident disadvantages (but one advantage: the dimension of file).
As I saw in other low cost cameras the h264 chip encoder works with too low bitrate. Probably the quality of cmos sensor which catchs the images influences the video quality as well.
Any suggestion or trick around how to improve video quality is welcomed.

cla68

cla68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:33 PM   #39

Here is a link to my post on this camera, which probably does not help much but anyway......... The video linked there is a YouTube mess up quality wise
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92
260DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:31 PM   #40

First impressions, from a technically challenged newbie user.

Its silver in colour, looks quite decent, accessories including a remote look OK too. The written manual is fairly easy to understand although in parts the info is not quite complete. But at least its on paper so it can be referred to at any time.

Inserting the battery is straight forward, the charging procedure is simple. The SD card procedure is a bit hit and miss though, it takes a while to work out, particularly how to lock it in the camera. There are no instructions on this aspect.

Checking and adjusting the settings is fairly straight forward once the controls are mastered. Menus come up on the flip out display which is a nice 3 inch job, easy to read, selection is by the joystick and switch arrangement at the back top of the camera .

OK its now moving picture time. Camera automatically turns on when the screen is opened, the screen lights up and a blue light at the back comes on. The record button is a bit awkward to use and the camera is not particularly comfortable in the hand. Once recording, the blue light at the back starts blinking but there is no indicator at the front.

With some test recording done its now time to hook it up to the TV to see what we have. A neat illustration in the manual show how to do this, the necessary cable is supplied. Once its all connected and turned on a prompt comes up on the camera's screen, the user has to select what function is required, AV out from memory. Ooops, a problem, the mini joystick control is not working too well there but after a bit of encouragement it makes the selection.

Picture and sound are working on the TV, its all about what I expected, quite good really. Colours look a bit washed out though, must be the southern hemisphere summer sunshine. So the exposure is reduced by one point and it looks better. One thing that is good is the depth of field, an important thing for my purposes. Set on infinity there is a reasonable picture from 30cm/one foot out to the horizon. Obviously at 30cm the picture is not completely sharp but its quite recognisable.

And thats it so far, next will be connecting the camera to the computer, I'm expecting a pretty good picture on the 1440x900, 16:10 widescreen monitor. So all is good to date, except for that AV selection process with the joystick, fingers crossed on that one :G

260DET is offline   Reply With Quote