Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:38 PM   #1

...Well not real butl I have inadvertently become an Action HD user. A friend purchased one on my recommendation and I was just testing it out for him just to make sure it didn't have any major flaws so he could return it if so. Anyway like a moron I dropped it, not very far, but it doesn't take much and of course the front glass cracked!I am still mystified how I did it as it's not like me to drop things (Although I did drop my PDA with it's large screen onto concrete and a hard floor twice and the screen remained was totally undamaged each time, go figure!)

I couldn't very well try and exchange it at Walmart as the dents on the top make it too obvious lol so I just bought him a new one. Aiptek don't repair these things (I checked with them) but it still works fine apart from that crack in the glass so I was thinking of breaking it completely (the glass not the camera that is!) and perhaps gluing a piece of some kind of neutral adaptor lens on the front to protect the lens mechanism from dust and sand.

So any suggestions? :-)

PS This has just not been my week at all so far!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:29 PM   #2

yeah that sounds good. I think i would do the same thing by breaking up all the glass and gluing in a wide angle lense =)
pncutep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:58 PM   #3

I guess I need something that will be a snug fit so I have something to glue to or maybe tape it with.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:19 PM   #4

so I remember : lens is not glass , that was some members saying. that was a good year ago.

take a close look: before you start chipping away.

The camera may not have to be takn apart to get to its lens barrel. I am not digging up old pics but maybe one can be posted?

look at the bottom at 6 O'clock you may see a pin hole that will pop off its lens, a clip of 10 and 4 or 3 and 9 position.

On the A-HD it is different. the MPVr is the Go but newer so the design may have changed.

again a pic of the lens and side angle will help?

it's that simple then getting glass in your finger

Yep Welcome to the club RGVCAM offically a owner are we?:G

Also once it is off get a replacement somehow

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:32 PM   #5

Thanks fishycomics, I was waiting for you to chime in :-) Yeah that does seem a better option. I assumed the cover was glass as it cracked to easily. Although the crack is almost in the center it doesn't seem noticeable since the crack is just above the center lens. I managed to pop the front off. If I could only get AIptek to send me the front or the plastic insert that would be all that is needed.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:04 PM   #6

I am sure they would send it out .

it popped if like I said? the Musteks are glass, so I wonder if it is around 24mm or so the A-HD is a tad bigger..

now

Do we realy need the exterior covered yes b/c of dust on the sensor, see if a camera store has one, good luck if contacting, even ebay maybe someone has a defective or spare parts. maybe they will ship out.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fishycomics, I was waiting for you to chime in :-) Yeah that does seem a better option. I assumed the cover was glass as it cracked to easily. Although the crack is almost in the center it doesn't seem noticeable since the crack is just above the center lens. I managed to pop the front off. If I could only get AIptek to send me the front or the plastic insert that would be all that is needed.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:05 PM   #7

Well the sliding autofocus mechanism needs it otherwise dust and sand etc could easily get in. Otherwise I would just remove it.