Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:06 AM   #1

Hi, I just recently got an Aiptek Action HD for $199 at one of my local Walmarts. I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm having a major problem playing video back full speed. I feel like I've tried everything: the software that came with the camera, CoreAVC, Quicktime, VLC, and various Codec packs for Windows Media player. 720P anything I lose sync with the video and audio, and anything at 60fps HD barely crawls forward. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200 (2.16GHz), 2GB of RAM, and a GeForce 6600. I've heard the GeForce can hardware decode AVCHD, but I haven't been able to get any info or find out how to do it.

Also, what's the difference between the different Aiptek HD digicams? Is the Action HD just the newest in a series of incarnations? A-HD, A-HD+, Go-HD, Action HD. I'm all confused.

Any advice would be much-appreciated. I've heard stories that people are taking these cameras back to the stores because they have such a hard time playing the content back on their PC. I've also heard people with lesser systems are having no problem even playing back 1080P stuff. I mostly shoot at 720p-60fps. Also, any reason why the audio gets crackly and poppy when I have it in a car (windows rolled up)?
markarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:18 AM   #2

Welcome aboard mark............

I will answer thesecond one with the popping and crackling of sound.this was a defect, I found on the A-HD when driving. the Audio is so powerful of the Mic, that you're hearing the wind through the glass causing the mic to vibrate.

Hey wait a second yous aid Action HD, and that Mic is totally different, on the LCD, yep SAME scenerio.

The A-HD+ was improved, and I thought the Action would as well since the GO wil be like the A-HD.

Only cosmetic, and ugly way around would be place acotton swab or filter (ciggerrrette butt, clean one) see if that softens up the sound.

the models the A-HD+ and Action are the same models, manual stated 3.0 proccessor on the 1440x1080 re 1080P, then less on the next setting, and less on the one after 2.0 is the lowest

A test you can do Join Vimeo, load a raw footage, and play back all will run smoother I believe so? I use magix 12, and 14plus I nowsave in a WMV hi def since I still do not and have not made a dvd yet.

markarian wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I just recently got an Aiptek Action HD for $199 at one of my local Walmarts. I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm having a major problem playing video back full speed. I feel like I've tried everything: the software that came with the camera, CoreAVC, Quicktime, VLC, and various Codec packs for Windows Media player. 720P anything I lose sync with the video and audio, and anything at 60fps HD barely crawls forward. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200 (2.16GHz), 2GB of RAM, and a GeForce 6600. I've heard the GeForce can hardware decode AVCHD, but I haven't been able to get any info or find out how to do it.

Also, what's the difference between the different Aiptek HD digicams? Is the Action HD just the newest in a series of incarnations? A-HD, A-HD+, Go-HD, Action HD. I'm all confused.

Any advice would be much-appreciated. I've heard stories that people are taking these cameras back to the stores because they have such a hard time playing the content back on their PC. I've also heard people with lesser systems are having no problem even playing back 1080P stuff. I mostly shoot at 720p-60fps. Also, any reason why the audio gets crackly and poppy when I have it in a car (windows rolled up)?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:38 PM   #3

Hi!
About playing the videos:
geforce 6600 doesn t feature any h264 video acceleration. but only hd mpeg2 acceleration. Besides AVCHD is not the codec used by Aiptek.
I'm not sure if you can play smoothly a 1080p on your pc, but you can try to do this things:

1)try other video players, like BSplayer, KMPlayer or Windows media player classic (not the Microsoft one!)

2)change video card: if you ve got pci-express bus, you can buy a 30€ card and play any HD content smoothly (besides many other advantages. Obviously you need certain models of video cards
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:49 PM   #4

How are you defining AVCHD? The Aiptek files are indeed AVC1 for video. They have AAC for audio instead a AC3. Is that how you are defining the difference? The AAC probably is not the problem but apparently as I have noted elsewhere the B-Frames. I just tried remuxing an Aiptek file to an AVCHD file (MPEG-2 transport stream wrapper) with the audio recoded to AC3 and it still wouldn't load into Sony Movie Studio Vegas 8d. A Canon AVCHD file with AVC1 and AC3 did. My bet then the problem is the B-Frames. Movie Studio has sloppy error checking for file parsing probably due to cheap programmers so it will often just crash instead of telling you it can't load the file.

Next up I'll try the same workflow with some Jazz 178 clips that are AVC1 but no B-Frames.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:57 PM   #5

And the 178 clips load into Movie Studio as their native AVIs fine. I'm going to say B-Frames are messing things up.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 6:27 PM   #6

Sorry, I didnt explained well. I should have said the Aiptek videos are not AVCHD compliant because of the non ac3 or pcm audio and because of the non compliant fps at 1080. They are indeed AVC1.
Honestly I dont know about the B-frames, I m not an expert about codecs .
Thanks for the correction

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
How are you defining AVCHD?* The Aiptek files are indeed AVC1 for video.* They have AAC for audio instead a AC3.* Is that how you are defining the difference?* The AAC probably is not the problem but apparently as I have noted elsewhere the B-Frames.* I just tried remuxing an Aiptek file to an AVCHD file (MPEG-2 transport stream wrapper) with the audio recoded to AC3 and it still wouldn't load into Sony Movie Studio Vegas 8d.* A Canon AVCHD file with AVC1 and AC3 did.* My bet then the problem is the B-Frames.* Movie Studio has sloppy error checking for file parsing probably due to cheap programmers so it will often just crash instead of telling you it can't load the file.

Next up I'll try the same workflow with some Jazz 178 clips that are AVC1 but no B-Frames.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote