Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:24 AM   #1

This Mod must be done precisely or elsefailure will occure We take absolutely no responsability for your actions that said decide if it is right for you.

Welcome.

Alot of dedication, and time has gone into this project called "

Aiptek External Mic Modification, How to:". This Project created by members and help of members, and Information found by members:

88Impact_blue88

Supply list for this project:

1. Radioshack 274-246 1/8" Phone lack $2.49 [/*]
  2. Radioshack 270-090 Condenser Mic $2.79 [/*]
  3. GE 2-N-1 laptop/pc mic. $9.99 [/*]
  4. wire 24 -26g n/a[/*]

Tools required:

Micro scredriver kit, Gorilla glue, Solder kit (Solder iron, flux, solder sucker )cutters, tape, clamp device, magnifyer,etc...

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:04 AM   #2

Outdoor and secluded sound check before Modifications

http://vimeo.com/1252790

[line]
Video How to:

Part One http://vimeo.com/1239071cosmetic and mic

Part Two http://vimeo.com/1242710mic and prep

Part Three http://vimeo.com/1275306wiring

Part Four http://vimeo.com/1276868closing shell

Part Five http://vimeo.com/1277834test clips

Conclusions http://vimeo.com/1278275

Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:04 AM   #3

Photo tutorial:

Paitience, for perfection. Always take your time, and scope out the project, that said lets get started.

Step One. below Your devices top cover will slide to the back of the camera, older models did not have adhesiveseeNo. 2. There are two tabs on the sidessee No.1 and a lip at the back they are located at the side seeNo.3 remove and proceed to Step two.

Step two. with your purchased or found part (pic 1) make sure it is the right one. size, etc. go to pic 2

pic 1

in Pic 2, you place on top,(shown in pic 1) and double check location, then proceed to marking it. Do not puch your holes till step three is read proceed to step Three

pic 2

Step Three. A multi pic (pic 1) is laid out pc board , jack and wiring, there is a broken down diagram (pic 2) 3 of the 5 wiring pins are used only 4 holes will be needed.

Pic 1 do not cut mic leads desolder them

Broken down in a color detail it is best to write your colored or wires when wiring, so no mistakes can be made. You may wire the jackafter the holes are clearly made.

Pic 2

Step Four. Now we taken a look and understand the drawing, it is time to make our holes, forcefull pressure, not to much will cut through abs plastic, twisting will drive through, and finer tips will help. You have 3-5 holes to tap. Mark backing as well for wire scmetics this will help when al is set in place.
pic 3

When through, do a test run see if pins clear, a snug fit is not always best remember you'll need room for the wires, a correct diameter will be needed. too much will leave a loose fitting. You may wire the jack at any given point after your holes are clearly made Mark the cover of where each wire will go. so no mistakes will be made. Once you adhire the jack it will be hard to remove.

I recommend you test the wiring now you'll use a ohms meter if not a light bulb and battery can be made jack circle and one wire will be a circuit,(circle and green wire of pic above)and the two other wires as well (yellow and red).
pic 4

Step Five. It is Most important at this time to place the Ext mic in before you glue. Use a spacer. make one up, I used tape, when you find the height you like you are then set. I measured by placing back on body see pic 5
pic 5

Step Six. Glue. Most important to use a correct glue. some glues will melt plastic. Gorilla glueworked, will bublle up, run if too much is added. can be chipped, filed etc. do notworry aboutthe wiring, the glue acts a protection to the plug, it is best to have a clean solder joint.
pic 6

Photo tutorial part One is complete, in Conclusion:

Everyone has their own ideas. and it is great this one may be best to work with. we seen one where the ext mic is turned around in the rear, you can use the Min Boomstick ifyou desire that mod. This Mod with the cosmetics willtake you around 15 min average time. somewill get this donefaster, some slower, it is paitience that wins over .

All your tools can be aquired at a local 99 cent shop.

Once you have this in perfect working order. Please proceed to the next photo tutorial

Some photos are demostrated, before, during and after the mod. creating and simulating the detail is as acurate as one can get. thank you

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:53 AM   #4

Photo Tutorial prt two. Opening and choosing the Options:
  • Option A ;Aip Mic and Ext mic DO NOT CUt mic leads [/*]
  • Option B; Aftermarket mic and Ext mic [/*]
  • Option C; Ext mic only
Step One. Removedcover exposes a sm screw, remove place to side, ope sdcard slot remove card keep slot door opened., remove battery door , take battery out, exposing 4 lg screws, remove place to side. the remote sensor and macro switch are loose parts they will fall off and out. hold hand over remote sensor lift botton up this door has no attached parts. place to side. it is best at this time or befor to make a drawing of whereeach part goes.
pic 1

step Two. Five screws are located here.lowerfront is embedded on the cosmetic meetal like front , and one is also located behind be careful not to break, als the flash may beglued on and DO NOT touch the flash eliment. remove back cosmetic nav cover screw, slide from bottom to its upward and pull to its back, comes off with ease. remove the rest. Do not force pc board up the USB cover is holding it in place. you may at first need to seperate it wit ha micro screw driver, and will release eas yproceed to next step

pic 2

Step Three There are three Options:

[/*][*]Option A ;Aip Mic and Ext mic [/*][*]Option B; Aftermarket mic and Ext mic [/*][*]Option C; Ext mic only

You have an additional option of removing the ribbon cable. To remove ribbon cable ,See Pic no. 3 mark the front, lift lock tab up and slide off, reverse proceedures. sometimes, may break if applied the wrong amount of pressure.

pic 3

Option A (pic no. 4A,B) In PicNo. 4C device is laid out flatyou willdesolder Front camera Mic wire ( see Diagram in part one pic ) and attach one lead to the Mics wire, and the other lead to the Pc board. your stem has very minimal play for error! Pic no 4B you DO NOT CUT but attach as a splice to the Mics other end. you will be completed with Solderingand can reverse proceedures.
pic 4A pic 4B

Option B and Option C Skip pic 4A, and 4B Will continue to open Device further. While camera is laid out flat. locate the navigation section, there are two sm screwsto remove, and a plugnplay board that will be easy to seperate.

4C pic 5
[/*][*][/*]
Once the board is off, (see pic no. 6) you'll have 3 smscrews, on the back, and one on the front to take off. on the front board there may look like a bottom screw n/a do not worry about it. This will now release the speaker/mic cover. be careful how you remove it . It i should pull straight back due to a pin placement. see pic no 8

pic 6 pic 7

You have another plugnplay wire wit habout a Inch plus play, here you may have the option to relocate the speaker, as it will pop out of the holder. We are fully dissassembled with the device at this point.

pic 8

We are now ready to take apart the mic, anddesolder off the board, once you have it all cleaned up, you may opt to test out the Ext mic. the power ac can be plugged back in and the remote control to work, we're ready for Option B or Option C

Photo tutorial part Twois complete, in Conclusion: We have taken apart the device, and have a decision to make; Option B is best recommendated due to the Aftermarket Mic, stem, and Improvement. Some may find they need to brush up on their Soldering skills and a video can befound on how to Solder, get a old pc board and practice.

Take your time opening once your fully finished proceed to the next photo tutorial.

Some photos are demostrated, before, during and after the mod. creating and simulating the detail is as acurate as one can get. thank you

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Photo tutorial Wiring

It is basicaly laid out in the above diagrams, and will again reassure you that it is that simple to mod the device once opened andclosedcorrectly.

1. the diagrams for wiring are laid out on the mic, and plug, we have broken it down in a picture for simplicity here.

Front of cam MIC GROUND Back of cam MIC POS. you'll NOT cut any wire off the mic on this part, you'll ONLY splice on to the wire. The Green will go to the Aqua.

on hte Mics Pos you'll DESOLDER hte mic pos and solder RED to the Mic POS and solder a wire to the Yellow. that is it very simple .

Options A internal Mic DO NOT CUT MIC LEADS place extended wires

Option B aftermarket mic DON NOT CUT MIC LEADS place extended wires

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:57 AM   #6

Conclusion:

The Job to do this was 1 hour, the parts taken 4 days to recieve, the video taken8 days complete. It is the Time ad Dedication that shows you the Device can be opted for an option called the Mic input.

I at the time was not sure that i would get the project done, and was upset that I cut the mic, or had less stem available, in the long run the Mic if Aiptek, or aftermarket, shown absolutely no improvement to me at this time, andmay take more test clips to tell later. For the External mic it was instantly am improvement.

The mod did not cost much and may have made my camera look better in ways , but may hurt me when in that given moment. I may just opt for an additional model if the price is given, or place up for sale.

Options are always best to keep open, and speaking of options a bluetooth may just be useful a wireless one for sure, as well as a push button switch, rather always plugging up. its a option and I amsure they will work.

I m sure there are a lot ofviewers out htere that are in a decision,

decide what is best.

Once you open a can of worms...... you know the rest.

I am very pleased at the moment, andhope to capture some footage one day

lookingfoward to all your comments, suggestions and complaints

Do not try to modify unless you are willing to take the chance

Solely not responsable for any typo or mistakes made thank you

Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:58 AM   #7

Phot tutorial testing

Video testing

Option C http://vimeo.com/1244231
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8

Here's my testsofupto 48 feet away, distance outdoor tests forthe G.E. laptop mic mod

the A-HD is the camera, FW 2.002

Talk to camera with building 12ft behind the camers

http://www.vimeo.com/1238653

Swiched positions and now talking to camera with open field/hill behind camera

http://www.vimeo.com/1238678
88impact_blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:21 PM   #9

I'm rather disappointed at the performance of the A-HD+ MODDEd. IMHO, It seemed that the A-HD+ MODED EXT MIC performed just as well as the A-HD 720p NO MOD

What version Firmware is the A-HD p720 (1.6) or (2.002)?

I thought that the inernal mic settings of the A-HD+ was equal to or slightly better than the orginal A-HDp 720 (2.002)..:?

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:

[line]

88impact_blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 3:34 PM   #10

Aiptek A-HD is the 2.002 direct fix from Aiptek themselves no issues it is slightly louder, but the 1.6 FW was louder than the 2.002.

the Aiptek A-HD+ is 2.002 noFW added left the way it is, period.

The Plus ext mic is an Improvement but how much not sure. ifwe compared to your vid, it blows the Plus away. Remember i need to be in a Seaport, croud etc not outside my door with average noise, have to hear a train whistle etc.

I believe the Fw will work when sound is produced to the Mic if the sound is not peaking then everything sounds like a failure.

I am happy/dissappointed.

I have my orginal and Modded one if and when one goes on sale I may just repurchase, but if another comapny is shown at a low price i will opt that direction.

thank you for the Comment and the show of interest.

Additional note:

It can be said that a preamp can also be placed with the mic so imagine the many possabliaties that can come out of this. a volume control on the mic but being over bulky hmmmm that is the downside

88impact_blue88 wrote:

Quote:
I'm rather disappointed at the performance of the A-HD+ MODDEd. IMHO, It seemed that the A-HD+ MODED EXT MIC performed just as well as the A-HD 720p NO MOD

What version Firmware is the A-HD p720 (1.6) or (2.002)?

I thought that the inernal mic settings of the A-HD+ was equal to or slightly better than the orginal A-HDp 720 (2.002)..:?

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:

[line]