Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1214495854.html
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:47 AM   #2

I wonder if they'll still crash on AVCHD Quicktime files? :-)
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3

Good question.

Actually, the question should be "will they crash upon import of H.264 Quicktime HD files?"

The Quicktime H.264 files aren't the same as AVCHD files (although they're very similar).

Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:33 PM   #4

Yep. One less step if all is well.
Wouldn't have to remux the .mov files to .mp4 with yamb anymore.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:52 PM   #5

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Good question.

Actually, the question should be "will they crash upon import of H.264 Quicktime HD files?"

The Quicktime H.264 files aren't the same as AVCHD files (although they're very similar).
How do they differ? If I remux the Aiptek Quicktimes using the Yamb, tsMuxer work flow they play fine on my BluRay player. I haven't looked at any AVCHD files created by Sony cameras but maybe the only difference is that the Ambarella files use B-Frames. Do the AVCHD files have B-Frames? I've got to remember to ask Ambarella if they're the ones resonsible for the B-Frames. The lack of them in the Jazz clips is why I believe they are so playable compared to the Aiptek clips. To play a file with B-Frames (or Slices) you have more assembly work than you do with with P-Frames which are really just deltas.

Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:57 PM   #6

Well, AVCHD uses H.264 compression similar to the Aiptek .MOV files.

But unlike Quicktime .MOV H.264 files, AVCHD complies with a specification that has subtle differences.

For example, my Sony HDR-UX1's files are recorded with a .M2TS extension, as I recall; that's a transport stream extension.

That's one difference.

The official specification is here:

http://www.avchd-info.org/

Private Idaho
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:03 PM   #7

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:

But unlike Quicktime .MOV H.264 files, AVCHD complies with a specification that has subtle differences.

For example, my Sony HDR-UX1's files are recorded with a .M2TS extension, as I recall; that's a transport stream extension.

That's one difference.

Private Idaho
As I know, AVCHD has more contraints on H264 stream and TS. It usually the limitation of Sony and Panasonic decoder. :-(

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:05 PM   #8

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:

That's one difference.

Private Idaho
The wrapper is rather immaterial. I haven't tried this but in theory you can just use the Yamb TsMuxer workflow to turn the Quicktime file into a transport stream and bring them into Sony Movie Studio. Transport streams are simply the same information broken up into 188 or 192 byte packets. Nothing changes in that actual .h264 stream. Because I haven't located any free stream analyzers for transport streams nor can I remux them back to an mpeg-4 wrapper (.mp4) I haven't been able to see if the Sony or Canon AVCHD streams use B-Frames. B-Frame require both past and future frame information when you construct a frame from them. That obviously takes additional time and why a lot of players chug on Aiptek files because they have B-Frames. The Jazz files I looked at don't. Here's some info on B-Frames:
http://avidemux.org/admWiki/index.php?title=B-frames

Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:38 PM   #9

Well, it's not immaterial if you wish to comply with the AVCHD specification.

Quicktime .MOV high definition files can be great; but they don't comply with AVCHD.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:52 PM   #10

I think that Aiptek's intent is to make easy to play videos (which they aren't) so they wrap in the Quicktime file format for some reason instead of just an MPEG-4 which there is little difference. AVCHD of course is an MPEG-2 transport stream wrapper and even more difficult to playback. So the hybrid industry sort trips, stumbles and falls along the way.

I see Pinnacle 12 is out and we have an announcement for Sony Movie Studio 9. How soon for VideoStudio 12? Jazz files imported into Sony Movie Studio just fine with their natice AVI wrapper no changes necessary. But I have had no luck with AVCHD version created from the streams. Real lazy progarmming by the Vegas crew.