Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:39 PM   #1

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_4_ENU.html

Looks like CyberLink has scored some recognition with their new editor.

PC MAGAZINE "Editor's Choice."

Anybody know if this editor can read the .MOV files recorded by the Aiptek cams?

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2008, 3:42 PM   #2

Link to PC MAGAZINE's review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2319839,00.asp
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:10 PM   #3

Downloading the demo now, all 245 MB of it. Poky server its on. We'll see if it barfs on Aiptek files. They'd be very smart to make it work. But being in software development I know the programmers are usually just there to pick up a paycheck and unless the marketing folks are somewhat technical they'll miss an opportunity. Most likely bringing up the issue on the MUG board brought it to the attention of Ulead and they implemented it in the next version. I also had email exchanges with the developers at Nero who were insterested in making sure they handled them though they seemed to fix things but not completely.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:41 PM   #4

I'll be interested to read your experiences with this software trial.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5

Worked fine with my 1080p A-HD+ files. Exported to MPEG-2 1920x1080 and AVCHD in a BluRay folder. I only put two clips on the time line but they render out fine. Some programs like Nero might be able to render one clip but would crash with two. No transitions but will try some with those later on. It is slow though at rendering at 23 minutes for a 1 and half minute video on a 3.4 Ghz P4. It might speed up a bit on a dual core but my guess is the rendering code is not optimized yet, just working. The same thing happened when DVD authoring software first came out. It was like they just took the SMPTE example code and compiled it.

The interface is very much like Video Studio just rearranged a bit. There are no setting to adjust bitrate at least in the demo but the ~25 mbps MPEG-2 played smoothly and you also get the option to have either LPCM or Dolbly 5.1 (I selected the latter).

Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:28 PM   #6

Interesting. Thanks.

What about audio editing tools?

Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:14 PM   #7

There's not much for audio other than mixing, speed and cleaning. It doesn't have as many tools as VS. You can take your summer vacation while it installs and I have yet another version of SmartSound which I've never really played with since I am a musician and have a library of my own music to use.

One thing I liked about Sony Movie Studio is the developers keep it at a small footprint. The download is only around 80 MB. MS also works well on slower machines. Apparently other companies think you'll just run out and buy a new computer to use their program. What planet are they on? :-)