Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:04 AM   #11

A good addition will be to convert AAC to AC3 and make m2ts (and mp4) so we can be near AVCHD (BluRay) standard (in m2ts with H264+AC3).

RyLoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:55 PM   #12

I've uploaded a new version.

This fixes the aspect ratio issue (reported by voyeurtp), added AVI - divx/xvid (AtariJedi), MP4 - AVC/AC3 (RyLoS), and some other convenience formats (YouTube upload format, iPod).

Also, drag-n-drop was added to that you can drop other files that have already been copied to your computer (must be MOV files from the Aipteks for now).

sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:06 PM   #13

AtariJedi wrote:
Quote:
I would suggest that if you add any of the things I mentioned, in the idea of keeping it simple, would be to just place an advanced settings button which would open up a dialog box with the advanced settings that way if people didn't want to mess with it they could use it pretty much like it is now.

[snip]

I was also wondering what language you used to program this application, is it a .NET? or something more like C++ or VB6. Oh, and what codecs are you using to do the conversion, I noticed that in the folder which is the destination, there is a dll and exe which is created, I assumed the exe is a copy of this application since its roughly the same file size, and the DLL is the codec?
AtariJedi,

The advanced settings button is something I'll think about. I'd be interested in which specific containers/codecs you'd like to see as options.

The utility is just straight C using Win32 controls. I'm planning an OSX version as well. The exe/dll is actually ffmpeg that I unpack from the main executable. So anything that ffmpeg supports I can use. I've included a copy of the GPL/LGPL and a pointer to ffmpeg's source in the latest ZIP file.

Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:57 PM   #14

Helo Sfrtzinger

I tested parts of of version 1.1. What nice feature is drag and drop. I tested it running from a SD flash card and from the desk.

The drag/drop feature works fine with MOV files in or outside folder DCIM/100MEDIA this means MOV files can be in the Aiptek or a pendrive.

Tested the drop/drag feature with files in the hard drive and found the program will crash with files in any folder, then I created the DCIM/100MEDIA folders under the root directory of both C: and D:, copied several MOV files there and this time the drag/drop feature worked like a charm.

Also tested 720p and 1080p MOV files conversion to DVD. The Aspect Ratio is now correct.

Thanks
voyeurtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:24 PM   #15

voyeurtp wrote:
Quote:
Tested the drop/drag feature with files in the hard drive and found the program will crash with files in any folder, then I created the DCIM/100MEDIA folders under the root directory of both C: and D:, copied several MOV files there and this time the drag/drop feature worked like a charm.
voyeurtp,

Great to hear the aspect ratio is corrected.

I'm troubled about the crash though and can not reproduce it on my computers. I'd like to isolate the crash and get it fixed. Can you provide specific steps to get it to crash?

Thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:02 PM   #16

I think I know what voyeurtp is getting at, I store all my videos in a specific folder under My Documents, for example we will call it Videos, when I run AiptekUtility off the sd card, then browse to this Videos folder in Windows Explorer and drag n' drop the files to AiptekUtility, it will crash.

Maybe its a problem with it expecting specific folder name combinations and a specific depth from root, as voyeurtp had said it worked when he recreated the folder structure under C:

But the Divx works perfectly, thanks!
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:15 PM   #17

voyeurtp and AtariJedi,

I found the issue and posted a new version (1.2). Files with whitespace in their paths were causing issues :-P Should be functional now without any workarounds.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:59 PM   #18

I don't know if you know the answer to this but I've been wondering if h.264 is inclusive of all the h.263 techniques? IOW, would it be possible to take an h.263 file like a Divx file and without re-encoding make it an h.264 file. I'm not sure what it would take or if this is what you're doing already (I'll try the new version out tomorrow on my Windows machine -- this one is Linux :-) ). I did a search on the topic and only found a link to a paper someone had published on the subject (for $35) that seemed to indicate it is possible. Of course some of the BluRay players and the PS3 can handle Divx but not my Sony BDP-300 .... yet (which is to say they might add it in a firmware update). If I demux a Divx file with Yamb tsMuxer didn't know what to do with the video stream.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:57 AM   #19

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if you know the answer to this but I've been wondering if h.264 is inclusive of all the h.263 techniques? IOW, would it be possible to take an h.263 file like a Divx file and without re-encoding make it an h.264 file. I'm not sure what it would take or if this is what you're doing already (I'll try the new version out tomorrow on my Windows machine -- this one is Linux :-) ).

[snip]

If I demux a Divx file with Yamb tsMuxer didn't know what to do ...
hdguy,

H.263 can not be wrapped in an MP4 container from personal testing. Either there isn't an MP4 atom that defines an H.263 stream, or tools just don't support it. H.263 was designed for video-conferencing (later followed by H.263+) and is used in flash video. It appears completely unrelated to MPEG-4.

Divx is actually MPEG-4 Part 2 'Simple Profile' which doesn't have an ITU standard.

MPEG-4 AVC is MPEG-4 Part 10 'Advanced Video Coding' which is (ITU / ISO) H.264.

I can put a 'Divx' (or MPEG-4 SP) stream in an MP4 file without issues.

For M2TS files, blu-ray only supports MPEG2, AVC, or VC-1 video. I think that is why tsMuxer won't do anything with Divx video streams.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:32 PM   #20

Thanks for your reply. The Sony BDP-300 will play the simple profile but if Divx is that I can't get it into a wrapper to see if it will play. The 300 will only recognize video files if they have .MPG extension and that goes for AVC and MPEG-4 files too. It's funny as you'd think they would also read .M2TS from their camcorders. You have to rename those and .TS files to .MPG. The player seems to parse the files a little to see what they are then list the playable ones under the Video folder.

I was thinking that .h263 might actually be covered with MPEG-4 since they all kind of evolved from .h261 but that the sequence headers may need to be changed which of course would be much faster than re-encoding. I should buy Keith Jack's latest edition of Video Demystified which would provide answers. The editions I have don't cover .h264.

I tried the latest version of the utility. It did a nice fast conversion to MPEG-2 of one of my A-HD+ files. Nice. Of couse it appears there is some work to do on error checking as some files such as a Divx file told me the conversion was completed (instantaneous) when I new that couldn't be true and there was no converted file.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote