Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:31 AM   #1

OK guys after doing massive testing and playing with various applications, heres the absolute best software combination to edit the videos made by the Aiptek:

1. TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
2. Cyberlink PowerDirector 7

The TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress uses the MainConcept MPEG engine, which is the fastest MPEG engine there is.

TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress will read the Aiptek *.mov files without a problem and will let you convert them to DVD MPEG format without loss of quality and will do it in a flash. Then you can take that MPEG file to Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 and do your thing. Customize it any way you want then make your final DVD project.

I highly recommend this. I made a DVD this weekend that turned out awesome. I wish I could post it somewhere for you all to see. What I will do is this. I will convert an Aiptek file to MPEG format, something short, so you guys can see the quality. Oh and another thing, TMPGEnc will convert the ugly mono sound from the Aiptek video into Dolby Digital. Cyberlink PowerDirector 7 can do it too. The result is simply amazing. Cyberlink gives you more choices with sound as well.

Try this. You won't be dissapointed.

Links:

TMPGEnc Xpress: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

Cyberlink PowerDirector 7: http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_4_ENU.html
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:06 PM   #2

Why use a combination since Power Director can also handle the Aiptek files? Are you saying the combination is faster than just using PD 7? As I just posted on another topic here I don't why these companies decode->encode loops are so slow other than their engineers don't have a complete grasp yet of AVC and are just using example code because "it works." Usually example code is not at all optimized so one can follow the process easily. It took PD7 23 minutes to recode a 90 second 1080p A-HD+ file. It should come in at under 5 minutes to be useful.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:12 PM   #3

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
Why use a combination since Power Director can also handle the Aiptek files?* Are you saying the combination is faster than just using PD 7?* As I just posted on another topic here I don't why these companies decode->encode loops are so slow other than their engineers don't have a complete grasp yet of AVC and are just using example code because "it works." * Usually example code is not at all optimized so one can follow the process easily.** It took PD7 23 minutes to recode a 90 second 1080p A-HD+ file.* It should come in at under 5 minutes to be useful.

Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:13 PM   #4

PowerDirector cannot read the Aiptek file on its true format. In order for PowerDirector 7 to read the Aiptek file, you would have to change the extension from *.mov to *.mp4 on all the videos then PowerDirector 7 will be able to open the video file but for some reason I just don't trust that. I rather convert the video to MPEG first. Also when you convert the video to MPEG with TMPGEnc it gives you the option to turn the mono sound into Dolby Digital and also lets you correct things in the video with filters, fix color, etc. TMPGEnc is super fast. Try it.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:06 PM   #5

I'm happy with YAMB and Sony Vegas 8.
YAMB to switch the container to .mp4. No encoding at all so there's no loss of quality.

Otherwise, if I were to do any conversion before editing, it would be to a lossless format like apple intermediate, huffyuv, or Cineform.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:19 PM   #6

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
PowerDirector cannot read the Aiptek file on its true format. In order for PowerDirector 7 to read the Aiptek file, you would have to change the extension from *.mov to *.mp4 on all the videos then PowerDirector 7 will be able to open the video file but for some reason I just don't trust that. I rather convert the video to MPEG first. Also when you convert the video to MPEG with TMPGEnc it gives you the option to turn the mono sound into Dolby Digital and also lets you correct things in the video with filters, fix color, etc. TMPGEnc is super fast. Try it.
I downloaded the Power Director 7 demo and was able to load a 1080p Aiptek A-HD+ .MOV into the time line just fine and render to MPEG-2. I did not have to change the extension. It is possible that PD7 might have found DLLs from other programs to use instead of its defaults. I note that some programs use the ArcSoft DLLs for decoding including possibly MSP 7 which would previously crash on AVC files. Actually developers are not supposed to put the DLLs in the System32 directory but in the program directory to keep things sorted out for support.

Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:34 PM   #7

Yes it will let you put them on the timeline, but click on the file and then click on the PLay button to see the preview and you will notice the video plays bad. Now, change the extension to MP4 and drag it to the timeline then click on Play to preview it. Notice the video plays correctly now that it has the MP4 extension. Try it and U will see what I am talking about.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:32 PM   #8

My tests show that TMPGEnc is about twice as fast on the same material as PD7 but given they are using a MainConcept engine that should about right. Nice to have the options for the different kinds of streams but they should add transport stream, at least I didn't find the option on the MPEG-2 streams. Some of the networked boxes such as the Linkplayer2 will handle transport streams better than program.

Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:26 AM   #9

Yes. Mainconcetp's engine is awesome. Did you try what I suggested? Playing the Aiptek .mov file on PowerDirector preview player and then playing it again, only this time with the extension .mp4?

Did you see what I was talking about?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:37 PM   #10

Greetings:

I have downloaded Total Media Extreme Trial software, where do I open the Total Media VR so that I can do Video Editing.

I've searched all over the menus in this program and I can't find the menu to open Total Media VR, where is it?

As I mentioned before the most easiest Video Editing software that I use is Video Impression 2, unfortunately it will only produce videos at 800 X 600.
I would like to produce videos at 1280 X 720.

The Second Video Editing Software that I have used for a couple of days now is
Cyberlink PowerDirector 7, I have problems using the fade effects, it doesn't seem to work.

Could it be possible that because my desktop a P4 Intel Cpu, 3 ghz, one core may
be part of my problem.
Do we have to have a dual core to make these Video Editing software work?

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote