Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:24 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review the cheaper and newer SD card camcorders. Your forum has been really useful.

I'm involved in the arts in my area, and I record alot of classical music concerts, generally using pretty decent miniDV tape camcorders. A few months ago, I purchased a Sanyo Xacti CG6, hoping that it would make things faster for me. It's a neat camera, but I'm a little disappointed with the quality in low light.

Here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXjJ0UsQT-s

Unfortunately, low light is the norm when it comes to these kinds of concerts.

Other than, say, a Canon HF100, is this the best I can expect from an SD camcorder in low light? Or are there models out there that do better?

Broad question, I know. But as fishycomics seems to have tried every SD camera made, I thought this might be the place to ask.

Thanks,

Brit
britalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:44 AM   #2

Welcome Britalb......

Thank you , but I am sure there are so many others out there as well. I have missed

looked at the clip excellent

Aiptek A-HD+(Action) will not havce hte best low light at all.

AIptek A-HD (GO-HD)will have a better low light over the A-HD+

Same with the Action and GO.

the Plus and Action somehow took a step back when recording in a lower light situation. some will say film in its Higher fps and use EV settings. but no matter what you try it is difficult when you are facing to the light to get a bright shot Light is the key to any video if the sun is in the front ALL video will be dark.

I understand you want to go from a tape to tapleless with the best quality, and if thisis your Job and you need to present a clear video then these are not for you, I would recomend a CAnon Hv series a way more professional model, but rather just say Canon I rather say a Major camcorder, I am not a pro, but a honest person that is expanding my fun

the sanyo is agreat cam I own the HD700 and understand that it will do its job when placed correctly in a situation. thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:08 AM   #3

Thanks Fishy. I'm not a pro, just an enthusiast. Are you saying that the Go-HD has the best low light ability of the cameras you've tried?

I do have a Canon HV20, a Sony DCR-HC90 and a JVC GY300u, all of which do well in low light. I guess I'm spoiled.

With microphones, Chinese brands are often quite good. I'm sure it must be the same for these little camcorders, so I'm quite curious. I wish they were reviewed more frequently, and I appreciate all of your hard work.

Brit
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4

the Go and A-HD are the better of low lights either one. if you look at the GO it has a Auto focus and will hunt always goes in/out of focus. while the A_HD is a fixed focus will always be set on Infinity no hunting

it is a decision, of what you want you said you got hte best, and to go down or downgrade and optical is not hte problem I go the A-HD. the sound on the otherhand will not satasify a person period.

it is not a concert camera . at times I have a perfect audio and then at other times huh where';s the sound LOL

I have a economy JVC love it. will udgrade to a canon one day but tapes are out for me. lol pc /wmm not t o par.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5

Brit, the Canon HV-20 has one f-stop better performance than the HF100. The HV20 has a standard resolution DV mode. Always use 24p mode with these cameras in low light. I own both Canons, but not an Aiptek. However FYI, my Sanyo C6, which is by far the best of the Sanyo for low-light performance (much better than HD1000), is easily exceeded by either Canon at 24p.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:30 AM   #6

Thanks Trevmar. As I mentioned, I have the HV20, and do like its 24p mode. For most things I record, it works quite well. But I'd like to speed up my workflow, and begin to get away from tape.

I'm sorry to hear the HF100 doesn't quite match up. That would make sense based on sensor size, but CCInfo rates the two as about equivalent.

I confess I haven't performed a shootout between the CG6 and the HV20. Based on my subjective use of each, though, the HV20 seems to do a better job. But maybe that's just me. Any advice on getting the most out of the CG6?

Thanks again,

Brit
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:32 AM   #7

Whoops - I misread. You wrote "is easily exceeded by." Yes - I've found that as well.

So you don't know of anything in the same league as the canon?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8

the AIpteks are Economy LMAO. If I saved up all the models I be wit ha pro model but rather leave a pro model left out and forgetting I am happy with them

britalb wrote:
Quote:
Whoops - I misread. You wrote "is easily exceeded by." Yes - I've found that as well.

So you don't know of anything in the same league as the canon?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:30 PM   #9

Hi britalb,

In my opinion you will downgrade if you go with one of these low priced hybrid cams. These h-cams have poor or very poor low light performance and also especially audio sux. These h-cams are more for portability and playing around non serious shooting. You mentioned tht you record concerts and for that even mics on regular DV cams will be insufficient. External mic is almost a must imo cause audio is the main focus and that the small cheap h-cams can't deliver in tht area......yet.

Heheh you are spoiled with a collection of cams like that. I wish it was me. I see you're tired of tapes. I can understand that but if you go tapeless you have to deal with Quicktime movie files and variations or AVCHD if you want HD(on more expensive cams like sony, canon and panasonic). These mpeg4-avc format of different variations has brought a lot of pain n hassle to editing. I don't kno how much you kno about this issue but since it still is relatively a new format and complex, the software is still behind. And also the hardware you need for viewing and editing has to be top of the line equipment.

I don't really know what to recommend you, cuz I don't kno how serious you are with your concert recording.

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:24 PM   #10

Thanks adalfa. I'm mostly just curious, and I have an open mind about these things.

Since you asked, for most of my casual recording I use a Zoom H2 to capture audio, and try to get it as close to the source as I can. For more serious stuff, I use a pair of studio projects C4s or CAD M179s mounted on a stereo bar into an MAudio DMP3 into an Echo IO card into my laptop. Not really pro level, but pretty good.

But I'm looking for something simple to play with for concerts where I don't want to spend hours editing. The youtube clip I linked to is an example - all I did there was record on an Xacti CG6 mounted on a monopod. Other than cutting a snippet out of a longer video, no editing was required; a refreshing change of pace.

So if there are better low light cams than the CG6, I'd be curious to hear about them. Synching a bit of audio from my H2 wouldn't be a big deal for me, so camera audio isn't an issue.

Thanks again,

Brit