Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 10, 2008, 1:28 AM   #1

Kodak Zi6 Might Be Best Pocket Camcorder Yet

Kodak's first entry into the pocket camcorder pool, the Zi6, may be the new king of cams. My lab assistants and I have done more scientific research in the field of cheap-ass camcorders than anyone we can name off the top of our heads. In my expert opinion, this is a winner, ready to unseat Pure Digital's original Flip Ultra. Why? 720p HD video!

Yes, the camera captures video in 60fps 720p HD, the highest quality of any pocket cam so far, and it looked great when I saw it projected on a 40" flat-panel TV. The Zi6 also shoots stills and lower quality VGA video for wannabe YouTubers. Its SDHC slot supports cards up to 32GB—if you can find one—and my favorite sleeper feature is its ability to shoot well in macro focus mode.

It's thicker than the Flip, more like the RCA Small Wonder EZ210, so it has a more sturdy feel. It runs on rechargeable Ni-MH AAs and will also take regular AAs, but I'm told that standard batteries won't last as long. That all makes me skeptical of the battery life altogether.

The unit is $180, the same price as the new Flip Mino, and it has much more functionality, and so far a better look and feel. Mark me down for one of these when they arrive in September, so I can round up some lab assistants and put it through the paces.

[img][/img]
Attached Images

Tebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:22 AM   #2

Have you looked at all the 1080p hybrids here that also do 720p60?

What is the data rate, is it sufficient to compare with the superior ambarella based h264 coding?

I think if you read around here, you might find a couple of people (like the moderators) that have reviewed heaps of hybrid camcorders too.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:58 AM   #3

Put me in as a Beta tester
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 5:13 AM   #4

Wayne,
As somebody who owns some of the new HD-capable Kodaks I can tell you what they do, and I suspect the technology in this one will not be too far distant from them. Although I do note the lens is fixed, and pretty small, at that.

You can find a writeup of the camera at Gizmodo.
http://gizmodo.com/5023649/kodak-zi6...-camcorder-yet

What really worries me is that this camera looks awfully like the DXG-567 which I owned for a couple of days. I hope this is not a private-label brand by DXG. That thing was a dog, with no setup menus, and useless automatic control. However, if Kodak has put its own software into the DXG machine, then maybe it will have rescued that very poor excuse for an HD camcorder from obscurity...

The Kodak cameras I have, two of the V1073 IS, one V1253, and those I have tested, Z1012 IS, Z1085 IS, all have a maximum recording time of 29 minutes. If Kodak perpetuates that idiocy with this offering, then they deserve to be relegated to oblivion (IMO).

My Kodak HD cameras use Divx5 compression, 14 Mbps max. Quality is excellent, with minimum artifacts. DXG used an Ambarella at 4 Mbps. So that may be the best way for us to tell if the Zi6 is a private label DXG, or a Kodak design.

Also look at:
http://pluggedin.kodak.com/default.asp?item=2224204
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/07/09...i6-quick-look/

Kodak has the best low-light sensor I have used (outside of Canon/Sony) but the fixed lens will reduce this ability somewhat. Also, the retractable USB plug is the same as on the DXG-567 which was a total waste of space, IMO. DXG didn't also have an additional USB socket like the Kodak, though...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 7:04 AM   #5

As like any other hybrid its all about the hype........ lets wait for some video samples at 180.00 I am sure it is a set price and like to see it drop to 99.99 for a AA battery system alkaline or rechargable,

PluggedIn - A blog about Kodak products and customers.

Jul 10, 2008 ... This is the Kodak Zi6 Note this

SunHerald.com : Kodak Explodes onto the Pocket Video

Jul 9, 2008 ... Eastman Kodak Company :P6gPwAVIzKQJ:]http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswire/story/675550.html+kodak+zi6&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd =12&gl=us]Cached[/url] - ]http://www.sunherald.com/prnewswire/story/675550.html]Similar pages[/url] - Note this

Kodak Unveils a Suite of High-Definition Products That Deliver New ...

Jul 10, 2008 ... The KODAK Zi6 Pocket Video C

Kodak Explodes onto the Pocket Video Camera Scene - MarketWatch

Jul 10, 2008 ... today announced its entry into the fast-growing pocket digital video camera

Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:06 AM   #6

fixed and Cmos I like over any CCD lens I only posted the links asa search nothin more. we always await the video, and what the net has t ooffer. its going to be an exciting event to see others pop up as well.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:34 AM   #7

I appreciate you posting the link to the specifications, Fishy, I couldn't find it when I was looking last night
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8

things are funny Google showed it , yahoo did not LMAO:
Old Jul 10, 2008, 3:03 PM   #9

Tebay wrote:
Quote:

My lab assistants and I have done more scientific research in the field of cheap-bottom camcorders than anyone we can name off the top of our heads.
Really? Then show us the results. We need facts, not words...
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:21 PM   #10

:G

no comment

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
Tebay wrote:
Quote:

My lab assistants and I have done more scientific research in the field of cheap-bottom camcorders than anyone we can name off the top of our heads.
Really? Then show us the results. We need facts, not words...