Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:42 AM   #31

Okay,

But what I don't like about the helmet cam. Your head moves in a direction whether left or right. Where as a Cam mounted on the bike gives a different view.

Danny
simplydannygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:52 PM   #32

Here is some footage I took with my Samsung NV15 with it mounted on my Scooter/Motorcycle

http://www.motionbox.com/video/show/...400f81f7825931

Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:49 PM   #33

Video looks good. A NV15 (or most point and shoot cameras) would be difficult to helmet mount.

If your camera has a small opening or pinhole for the mic, put a piece of tape over it. It will still record sound and the wind noise / popping will be reduced. I covered the openings on my Vupoint w/ silicone to help reduce wind noise. Not a problem since I only use the camera for recording trail rides. I use 2 and 4 gig cards in it (sandisk) with no problems. Pick up a 4 gig sandisk card, they cost about $15 when on sale. It should be good for almost 4 hrs recording time.

Look into the GoPro line of cameras if you plan on doing any serious shooting from a motorcycle. They have all types of mounting options to choose from. It shoots video and 5mp stills, and has a waterproof housing good to 100 foot depth.

Have you fixed the Vista issues yet? I believe with Win XP, no drivers are needed for data transfers. XP detects the camera as a "mass storage device". Webcam use is different, you will need a driver for that to work correctly.

foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:26 AM   #34

foxdirtrider,

Hi just checked today. Did not see this tread until today. I did not get a email notify.

Thanks for the advice.

I have2 gig in it now. On QVGA. I get 4 hours. I need to get a 4gig and have it on D1. Okay.

So what to think about the terrible zoom range?

Okay, so you say the Camera works on XP. Great. I did not know that. You are a life saver. I gott find a lap with xp. My old toshiba died on me.

PS: in the picture above. Drilled in a hole where the lens is and keep it in closed poosition, ay? That is unique. I just caught that. Warene't you afraid you would damage your lens?

Thanks

Danny
Old Mar 21, 2009, 11:54 PM   #35

There is no "zoom" on these cameras, they have fixed optics. The digital zoom is pretty much useless, you get less and less detail as the zoom level increases. All digital zoom's are like that.

I needed a cheap camera for helmet mounting, or one that had a video input for recording from a helmet mounted "bullet" cam. The vupoint was uniquebecause it is one of the few cheapies that have a ccd sensor and also a video input. I had no problems taking the camera apart and cutting up the frame, removing the flash tube and capacitor, magnet removal from the LCD viewfinder, etc. I have worked with consumer camcorders in the past (service and repair) so I am used to it.

Too bad the video input does not do more than 20fps otherwise I would use that feature along w/ the bullet cam on the helmet.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote