Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:19 PM   #11

Woow, I was very excited when I saw that Sanyo coming up with a replacement for their Xacti HD700, BUT after reading Akihabara and Sanyo homepage, I must admit I'm dissapointet as well. There are new features and Akihabara writes that it has got AMAZING video quality. They also write:"...and with these improvements the new HD800 is by far THE real and affordable HD compact camera killer!". Is it really that "amazing" looks like Akihabara is getting paid by Sanyo for writing this stuff:G The affordable "HD compact camera killer" is IMO the HD Aiptek's.

I guess they won't put in 1080i/p res. and 60p cuz then it would destroy the sale of the HD1000/HD1010. They don't want their own cameras competing against each other:-) So to keep HD800 as a "little brother" it will be a loong time till we see these functions, if ever.

One thing I like about this new h-cam is actually the color combis. I especially like the black/gold one and for the ladies or more feminine guys, the black/pink one:lol:

I don't think it has an external audio option or else Akihabara would surely have mentioned this as it's a feature not available to the older model.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:50 PM   #12

Adalfa wrote:
Quote:
Is it really that "amazing" looks like Akihabara is getting paid by Sanyo for writing this stuff
I was very disappointed to read this product release. I have been avidly using Sanyo since the C6 came out, and really wanted Sanyo to succeed, as their user-interface is more 'hands-on' and configurable than the lower cost hybrids. I had at least expected to see something based on the CG9 optics. But what I see is the HD1000 electronics pasted onto a second-rate lens and a second-rate sensor (I am guessing here, but in this game you have to be able to read between the lines).

So Sanyo is no longer in my future. I bought the HD1000, but it made such a bulge in my coat pocket I sent it back and replaced it with a Canon HF100 instead (about the same size bulge and infinitely better performance) I bought the HD700, and became quite attached to its form-factor, but the video it was taking did not come up to the level needed for HD, and nowhere near as good as my Kodak V1253 and V1073 pocket cameras. The swiveling screen and menu configuration gave the advantage to the HD700 over the Kodaks, but the HD700 just produced too much noise on video shot indoors.

As I see it, the HD700 is the last Sanyo product that I will actually wait for (I have been checking Akihabara News every couple of days for the past month). I need cameras that work well indoors, and the advanced sensor technologies being employed by Sanyo's competitors are where I will need to look in the near future. It is sad, but I am a pragmatist, and I do have alternative cameras.

I suspect that the Akihabara News folk, whom we know have also loved the Sanyo range for several years, are just as keen for Sanyo to put out a good product as I am, and that, rather than any financial incentive, is why they are giving Sanyo a writeup which this product really doesn't deserve.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:24 PM   #13

I do not see any reason it will effect sales but an increase for sure. what they could have done:

square lens 60 fps makes it a perminent camera if asked

if they did 60 fps andchanges its lens style to round added attachments yes then it be closoing out the hd 101 series.

I see no reason to update a old model of its same features andfunction I know there are a few extras lets see wht happs.
Quote:
Woow, I was very excited when I saw that Sanyo coming up with a replacement for their Xacti HD700, BUT after reading Akihabara and Sanyo homepage, I must admit I'm dissapointet as well. There are new features and Akihabara writes that it has got AMAZING video quality. They also write:"...and with these improvements the new HD800 is by far THE real and affordable HD compact camera killer!". Is it really that "amazing" looks like Akihabara is getting paid by Sanyo for writing this stuff:G The affordable "HD compact camera killer" is IMO the HD Aiptek's.

I guess they won't put in 1080i/p res. and 60p cuz then it would destroy the sale of the HD1000/HD1010. They don't want their own cameras competing against each other:-) So to keep HD800 as a "little brother" it will be a loong time till we see these functions, if ever.

One thing I like about this new h-cam is actually the color combis. I especially like the black/gold one and for the ladies or more feminine guys, the black/pink one:lol:

I don't think it has an external audio option or else Akihabara would surely have mentioned this as it's a feature not available to the older model.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:13 PM   #14

Fishy,
The price of the Sanyo HD700 on Amazon rarely fell below $400 (except for a faulty batch of CCDs which was sold off for $299 last November/December).

I just don't see Sanyo at a price point competitive with the new Aiptek (etc), Toshiba, Samsung and Kodak offerings. They are pitching a product towards the high end of the market, and are eclipsed by both performance, and value-for-money of the other hybrids.

The HD1000 was just too big for my pocket, else I would have paid the $600 it is selling for. A lens which wasn't offset would have brought it back to a reasonable pocket size, for example. Not a major physical packaging problem, but not one Sanyo undertook in the HD1010. And I see the lens of the HD800 is still not wide enough, and the camera doesn't work in typical domestic indoors lighting conditions, a critical factor for me. Pocketable, but it won't take the video I need

Old Jul 30, 2008, 8:22 PM   #15

true.

we only observe, and are our opinions. pricing defect or a truefind at that low price was a steal of a deal.

Today yes Lower 400.00 is the set price, while I cannot see the new one be less then 500.00

Aiptek A-HD, Plus, or even the Action no where near sanyo, or even hurting them

maybe some other smaller company?

I do love both but will lean towards the sanyo for clearity in sound, manual controls but will lean to the Aiptek for budget and best bang for the buck besides the JAzz.

no matter what hybrid the yall do the same FILM :G
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:01 PM   #16

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Fishy,
The price of the Sanyo HD700 on Amazon rarely fell below $400 (except for a faulty batch of CCDs which was sold off for $299 last November/December).
In what way were the CCD's faulty? This is the first time I heard this so I am curious.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:16 PM   #17

rgvcam,
Pse take a look at my video of the problem at http://www.vimeo.com/1207022

Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:29 AM   #18

are you sure?

i see the green but one vid makes it hard? have you spoken to support, any response etc......

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam,
Pse take a look at my video of the problem at http://www.vimeo.com/1207022
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:23 AM   #19

On the LCD you can see a band of greenish tinge covering the left 5% or so of the screen, disappearing towards the center of the screen. It is quite obvious indoors, but disappears as the lighting level increases. I have never seen a similar artifact in any of the (many) other cameras that I have owned over the last decade, or so. I suspect it is involved with noise level of the CCD pixels, but I really don't know for sure. Anyway, it's really annoying, and not existent in the footage I took in April with a silver HD700.

I called Sanyo support and the guy immediately told me I have a "defective camera." I was surprised at the lack of questions, actually, it was as if he knew what I was talking about. A bit disconcerting, really. I wasted a lot of time figuring out exactly what was making some of my video look 'funny'.

Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:54 PM   #20

thanks for sharing

I think the lens can be part of it wrong glass used tints if they use them film etc. sensor the same