Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:56 AM   #21

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
On the LCD you can see a band of greenish tinge covering the left 5% or so of the screen, disappearing towards the center of the screen. It is quite obvious indoors, but disappears as the lighting level increases. I have never seen a similar artifact in any of the (many) other cameras that I have owned over the last decade, or so. I suspect it is involved with noise level of the CCD pixels, but I really don't know for sure. Anyway, it's really annoying, and not existent in the footage I took in April with a silver HD700.

I called Sanyo support and the guy immediately told me I have a "defective camera." I was surprised at the lack of questions, actually, it was as if he knew what I was talking about. A bit disconcerting, really. I wasted a lot of time figuring out exactly what was making some of my video look 'funny'.

While I can see you have a faulty camera, it was just probably been bad luck that you got two in a row. I have had similar things happen to me. After all I don't remember seeing this in my camera that I got for $299 and others who got it for that price didn't seem to complain.

Anyway I very much doubt Sanyo would deliberately sell a whole bunch of cameras with defective CCD's for a cheaper price. If they got caught out doing this, it would ruin their company as noone would ever but from them again and I am as cynical about companies as anyone.

Of course maybe I am wrong and we're about to see the imminent demise of Sanyo!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:07 PM   #22

film bad glass , sensor does happen an the lott I have is perfect so I have no complaints, I believe I will start shooting again with my sanyo be like thos e corona bear commmercials AH relaxing, andhering perfect stereo sound not tin sound

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
On the LCD you can see a band of greenish tinge covering the left 5% or so of the screen, disappearing towards the center of the screen. It is quite obvious indoors, but disappears as the lighting level increases. I have never seen a similar artifact in any of the (many) other cameras that I have owned over the last decade, or so. I suspect it is involved with noise level of the CCD pixels, but I really don't know for sure. Anyway, it's really annoying, and not existent in the footage I took in April with a silver HD700.

I called Sanyo support and the guy immediately told me I have a "defective camera." I was surprised at the lack of questions, actually, it was as if he knew what I was talking about. A bit disconcerting, really. I wasted a lot of time figuring out exactly what was making some of my video look 'funny'.

While I can see you have a faulty camera, it was just probably been bad luck that you got two in a row. I have had similar things happen to me. After all I don't remember seeing this in my camera that I got for $299 and others who got it for that price didn't seem to complain.

Anyway I very much doubt Sanyo would deliberately sell a whole bunch of cameras with defective CCD's for a cheaper price. If they got caught out doing this, it would ruin their company as noone would ever but from them again and I am as cynical about companies as anyone.

Of course maybe I am wrong and we're about to see the imminent demise of Sanyo!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:09 PM   #23

rgvcam:
Based on you not having had problems with your $299 HD700 I have erased that part of the text from my Vimeo page

fishy:
Actually, the HD700 microphone audio is a little bit tinny, by comparison with real HiFi audio like the HF100 or (surprisingly) the two Kodak cameras, all of which have a decent low-end. I have been very happy with the HD700/HD1000 audio, and I was surprised when I looked at it with the FFT analyser, and compared the cameras side by side on a known good sound source. Some bass boost equalization, and a notch filter at about 3.5KHz seems to bring the HD700/HD1000 output closer to 'HiFi'. Just FYI

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:51 PM   #24

Thank you. I am never one to complain but attimes will like all the rest love thecam only if it was cmos.

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam:
Based on you not having had problems with your $299 HD700 I have erased that part of the text from my Vimeo page

fishy:
Actually, the HD700 microphone audio is a little bit tinny, by comparison with real HiFi audio like the HF100 or (surprisingly) the two Kodak cameras, all of which have a decent low-end. I have been very happy with the HD700/HD1000 audio, and I was surprised when I looked at it with the FFT analyser, and compared the cameras side by side on a known good sound source. Some bass boost equalization, and a notch filter at about 3.5KHz seems to bring the HD700/HD1000 output closer to 'HiFi'. Just FYI
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:15 AM   #25

As one close to sources at Sanyo, I have personally seen the HD800 and tested it. Unfortunately I don't have any video to direct you to, but the diagonals are much smoother. I haven't really seen the indoor usage as much, but the stuff I have seen, was very impressive. It seems to have a softer feel to the video, although it does appear a little bit noisy still to me. However, this is something I have noticed in almost all HD video, excepting professional cameras, and the Xacti line-up was not designed for pro usage. For your common camera user, this is still pretty well done.

The CMOS sensor also not only allows more fps, but it also allows the seamless photos while video is being taken. I can't tell you how many times my wife has yelled at me to take a photo of the baby and I have been unable to switch modes fast enough, or pull out my camera. On the CCD HD700, the video stopped/paused for a second and you miss taking video to take the picture--which the HD800 resolved with the switch to CMOS. In HD, 0.9-Megapixels, and in SD, 2.0-Megapixels...

I just checked again, and there is no external mic input, just headphone out. There is a tripod insert at the bottom. I think they are considering adding an external mic input for future models though--there is tons of demand for it here in Japan!

the006iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:00 AM   #26

Quote:
I think they are considering adding an external mic input for future models though--there is tons of demand for it here in Japan!
Please ask them to put in a REAL 1/8 inch mic socket, and no the toy-sized socket they used on the HD1000. The tiny adapter is just another cord that one has to avoid losing

I love the HD700, but we just shot a conference indoors at UCLA using three 'videographers', one with a Kodak V1253, one a Kodak V1073 and one an HD700. There was so much noise on the HD700 footage we couldn't filter it out in post-prod, and had to discard that roll. Indoors footage is the final frontier Sanyo has to cross to get a world-beating product. They don't necessarily need to be better than everybody else, they just need to be 'good enough'. And right now, neither the HD700 or the HD1000 are at the point of being able to capture what the eye can comfortably see. Kodak, however, is remarkably close
http://www.vimeo.com/1028849

The User Interface of the HD700/HD1000 series is superb. I just need the CMOS/CCD to work indoors...

Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:15 AM   #27

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Yes I wondered why they couldn't use a buffer which would effectively get over the 4GB limit. Perhaps there is some limitation in their hardware design?

I think 4GB is the limitation of FAT32. You cannot write a file larger than 4GB to a FAT32 file system.
scintilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:36 AM   #28

the hd 700 has face detection, never bothered with it. love to test one LOl. love the hd 700. I baby it, and if the 800 is better than the 700 i get it for the cmos lens, not crazy bout seeing light lines at night
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:59 PM   #29

I love my HD700 too. I think this is the longest I've kept a digital camera. Wish the HD800 had a automatic lens cap.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:26 AM   #30

Fishy,
Face detection is terrible for video. I have it on the Kodaks and always switch it off. The problem comes when somebody who is not your focal-point is walking towards you. Say you are taking a statue in a park and people are walking around it. The face focus lock means your focus will be shifting all over the place following the faces, not the average of the scene. It is a disaster for video...